Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2010, 06:38 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i have a soft spot for the old k1000, that was the camera i learnt with 10years ago and made me fall in love with slr's.

05-30-2010, 12:21 AM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have an SP1 and am thoroughly enjoying it but I seriously covet an SP2. I've used both and while they are both almost identical the SP2 worked better for me for some reason and it has the hot shoe. I've played with a friend's SP2 and K1000 a few times. I think I'd still pick his SP2 over the SP1 or the K1000 anytime.

When it comes to DSLR's I don't mind high tech, but for some strange reason when it comes to SLR's I go backwards towards the fully manual barely needs a battery for the light meter to work models.

This my idea of "sweet" this black Pentax SLR camera and I'm definitely going to get me one someday if I can ever find a black one that doesn't cost the moon. I like the regular model SP2 too and will likely get one of those long before I get a black one as it's a much cheaper buy and therefore more practical, but this is the one my friend has and it definitely has my heart.

I want one of these so bad it kinda hurts, laugh. I go over to my friend's and it makes me envious seeing it up on the shelf. He does still use it, I'll grant him that, but not enough really, and I always see that camera and want to take it with me permanently. He won't let me though he has let me borrow it on the premises. He has a sentimental thing for that camera. Family hand down, can't blame him, but I still sigh.

Pentax Spotmatic IIa
06-19-2010, 08:48 PM   #123

I have used the SV and all the Spotmatics, since around 1966, and have been very happy with them.

I had an interesting experience today, holding and playing with a Pentax 6x7 for the first time. These and their lenses are around for not too much money. It was very interesting, like a big, heavy 35mm but not as clumsy as I would have expected. There is an electronic (battery) shutter going to 1/1000. In talking with the photographer who had a bunch of them, I learned that their only real defect is being slow to load, and with the MF film you get only 12 or 24 shots. So the pros who used them treated the bodies like MF film backs, having a few loaded and switching the lens when the film is used up. If I didn't already have too many cameras I might try these.
06-20-2010, 06:30 AM   #124
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
"Best" is almost a ridiculous concept in cameras, because one has to ask "best for what?" I have taken more photos with an MX than any other camera. The LX is second, only because I had MX bodies for more of the film era. It is also a prize that I love shooting if I am going film only.

However, the original poster two years ago was looking to "get into" film at this point in time. I would never recommend the LX today as that camera. It is expensive and can't use many recent lenses which lack aperture rings.

I just came back from a trip shooting a K-x body and DA Ltd lenses, in which I did not carry a film SLR body. I missed it a bit. The reason was that among my film bodies, I had the choice of taking the MX/LX, and fully enjoying the manual focus film experience, but having to duplicate the film-usable lenses in the DA Ltd collection, or using the very capable ZX-L, and go without one of the things I love most about the film experience--manual focus using a big, bright viewfinder with aids in a camera that was made for manual focus. In the end, I looked at the body, extra lenses and the big bag of film I had put together for these options, and decided that neither option made it worth my while to carry the extra equipment through airports.

I just sprang for a Super Program. I will see if it is the "best" SLR body for a hybrid system.