Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2008, 12:35 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Gold LX...drool...

Still, under the principle stated by Stephen Stills, "love the one you're with..." and that would be my beloved, 35 year-old Spotmatic.

04-24-2008, 05:39 AM   #32
Banned

I thought about that very song earlier when reading this thread. we must have similar tastes in music.
04-26-2008, 08:18 PM   #33
Pentaxian

I've had Pentax 35 mm slr cameras since 1968.

I have an Sla, ES 11, K1000. I've used the KX, LX and the 6 X 7. They're all good. Best pictures from any camera, Iv'e ever used were from the Pentax 6 X 7. Wonderful, but big and awkward.

I would probably say the best 35mm camera was the K1000.

- Very solid, reliable...takes a beating
- quality pictures a sure thing
- simple
- well built
- takes the myriad of Pentax and K mount lens
- price was always right and introduced a lot of students, people who wanted to enter into SLR photography- very reasonably
04-26-2008, 10:40 PM   #34

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by knyghtfall Quote
Here:

Pentax Gold Limited edition LX

And with a 50/1.2, no less.

Wow.. would love to have this for free.. ahahahahah... How of this out there?

04-27-2008, 10:22 AM   #35

I'm gonna cast a vote for the ZX-L (MZ-6). If you use a DSLR there are some great pros to this body. It supports wireless flash, uses the same cable release as the DSLR's, it's light as a feather and super compact. Custom functions make it more versatle, and it's a true KAF mount (no crippled)! It's got multiple exposure modes, which puts it above the ZX-5n in my book. Only thing I'd like is a metering mode selector (but even then you can set it to spot meter with the AE-Lock). What I love is that I can pack it with my DSLR bodies without needing to bring any other accessories. They work well together... now if only my digital bodies were this light!
04-27-2008, 10:07 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Z1?

Well, that's the only film camera I have right now (I love the two-dial solution), and selling it won't cure my LBA in any bit at all ...
04-28-2008, 05:43 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Best Pentax film SLR

Best manual Pentax ever - tough call. LX appears to be the consensus winner here. I can’t fault the choice. Sad to say I never had the good fortune to own one but had one on “loan” for a weekend. I have nothing but good memories of this fine camera. It does seem to have more than its fair share of maintenance issues however. The sticky mirror, battery/metering issues etc.

I do own and have used an MX for almost thirty years now and a good case could be made for this camera. I have had few issues of any kind with my MX and have only sent it in for CLA twice in all that time. It continues to perform well. I always found it a little small in the hand and felt the winder MX, at least for me, was necessary to complete the package.

I note the K1000 has its promoters although why such a simple camera has achieved such a cult status is beyond me. Not much for the money here. I know the lack of features made it the darling of photography schools but talk about basic. The KX would be a far better choice from the K family to my mind. Better still would be the K2. I have had one for over 20 years now and have come to appreciate its many features. The ASA range is vast from 8~6400. Unlike its K siblings or the MX it features auto exposure, a 1/125 sec flash sync and a real mirror lockup. It is solid and fits my hand much better than the diminutive MX. It was the “professional” model of the K series and was replaced by the LX in the early 80s. Setting the ASA is the only area some have found deficient. While initially awkward, it is pretty easy once you get used to it. All-in-all a fine camera for the film application and my choice for consideration in this field.

My current digital camera is the K10. In terms of build quality it reminds me of the K2 in many ways. But we are talking about the best film SLRs so this is a topic for another time.

Last edited by 8540tomg; 04-29-2008 at 01:52 PM.
04-28-2008, 06:48 PM   #38
Inactive Account

MX

MX for fun and pure pleasure of shooting. I bought a brand new MX in 1980. It is still in mint condition. It was shooting with this camera (and the lenses I bought with it) that made me really become obsessed with photography from that point on. This camera is why year after year recently I kept coming to check on Pentax's DSLR development. I really wanted a digital MX, I really wanted a digital Pentax that could compete with Canon. I finally got a K20D recently.

I love the metering on that camera, I love the size and the ratio of size to weight (it just feels right to me) I also bought an LX and was very impressed with it. But I always regarded it with a bit more of caution and fragility for some reason, perhaps at the time it was the expensiveness of it combined with a few things needing repairs? and as such it never became as part of me as the MX did, (I don't even have the LX anymore) By the time auto exposure became the cool thing and auto focus started cropping up, I could manually focus faster and more accurately, set exposure manually faster and more accurately (just because of how many pics I took with it and how used I got to the cam and the few lenses I had)

At least I hope you get the chance to try an MX regardless of which camera you choose.
04-29-2008, 07:41 AM   #39

Spotmatics for Ever !!!

Quote "
Still, under the principle stated by Stephen Stills, "love the one you're with..." and that would be my beloved, 35 year-old Spotmatic.
end Quote.

Ha ha ha,..Yes,..Wonderful Era,..I still Cherish My David Crosby Solo Album !!!,..AND,..also Still use, (amongst some other Spotmatics),...MY Original SP500, Unserviced!,..to this Day,....and as Maxwell Smart always said,..

"And Loving It!!",..

30 year old Spotmatics Rule !!,..
05-02-2008, 10:06 AM   #40
Inactive Account

Yes.. it was the Spotmatic

I still use two Spotmatic bodies. For many years I used and taught with a K1000, but the Spotmatic is my all time fave. Here's an example with the 50 f/1.4 Super Takumar made last summer.

05-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #41
Veteran Member

How about Pentax 645N, 645N2 or even 6x7s? Kinda interested in a 645N, and nowadays a set (w/ an FA75/2.8) of those can be had for less than the cost of an FA77 Limited. Never tried MF before, don't know if I should give it a go at all ...
05-02-2008, 12:23 PM   #42
Forum Member

I liked the LX for sure, but I got more keepers with the MZ-s due to the meter
05-02-2008, 02:56 PM   #43
Forum Member

Of those I have:
For use MZ-S followed by KX (love the match needle, like my first Ricoh XR-1), LX, MX.
For feel KX, LX, MZ-S, MX (although the MX with 40mm f/2.8 pancake in ERC takes some beating).

Nick
05-14-2008, 12:09 PM   #44
Inactive Account

My first choice if I pick up one of my film cameras is my Spotmatic II that I bought new in 1972 although I did shoot a roll of film this last Sunday with my H1A and a Walz Coronet B meter. Even though I have a Super Program and extra lenses, I never really accepted the K-mount cameras and still prefer the M42 cameras.
05-14-2008, 05:58 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K1OOO.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/23327-i-love-my-k1000.html