Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-14-2008, 09:44 PM   #46
Banned

although the K1000 is a joy to use, I don't use mine very often. I don't mind the lack of other features but no shutter lock is a no-go, as I find myself accidentally depressing the shutter and wasting a frame. not cool when you are shelling out for ILFORD. on my superA and my MX I can lock the shutter and turn off the winder and essentially the camera is completely locked and there is no possible way to trip the shutter when you don't want to. for me that alone is worth the price. you cant just 'delete' a frame of film.

05-14-2008, 11:19 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yep, I know what you mean. I also have an ME SUPER but still go back to my trusty K1OOO...i have 2 K1000's. In one I keep color film and the other Black and white. My keeper rate is at about 90% so I am quite pleased with that.
05-15-2008, 01:56 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
although the K1000 is a joy to use, I don't use mine very often. I don't mind the lack of other features but no shutter lock is a no-go, as I find myself accidentally depressing the shutter and wasting a frame...snip.
When I'm shooting my Spotmatic, I don't wind until I'm sure I'm going to shoot a frame. This technique/habit solves the problem of accidental film wastage for me, and has since the '70s.
05-15-2008, 02:05 AM   #49
Banned

I never though of that, but I think it would result in a lot of lost opportunities for me, going to click the shutter and it not being cocked. but I have missed a few shots because I had to switch the winder on so I guess either way would do the trick.

05-15-2008, 06:47 AM   #50
Veteran Member

I just loved my ZX-M when I had it. Yes, it is plastic, but it is a well-made camera. Mine worked admirably in various conditions (including windy days at the beach). Recently, I found I had missed the camera, and so I bought another ZX-M. It should arrive today.

I also had a Pentax KX. This is a fine camera, indeed...very well-made, and very well-designed. I thought about getting another KX, but have decided to go even "simpler," and have bought a Spotmatic F. The screwmount lenses go for pennies, and, as far as I can tell, they are among the best Pentax made. I look forward to receiving the Spotmatic F, as it is a storied Pentax design.

Regards,
Glen
05-15-2008, 08:33 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I never though of that, but I think it would result in a lot of lost opportunities for me, going to click the shutter and it not being cocked. but I have missed a few shots because I had to switch the winder on so I guess either way would do the trick.
I was going to say the same, but I too have missed shots by not being ready.
05-18-2008, 08:51 PM   #52
Veteran Member

I'd say the LX, definitely. As for that Gold Limited Edition thing - yikes! Shiny surfaces on camera gear = NOT a good thing! Can anybody say FLARE?! I'll take mine in original BLACK, please!

05-18-2008, 11:41 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

While my K1000s paid for themselves many times over, when the time came to dispose of some film cameras, I let them go and held onto my 3 LX bodies.
05-19-2008, 03:14 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I was going to say the same, but I too have missed shots by not being ready.
Séamuis and Javier, it's just a matter of habits, I find.

If I'm walking around with my Spottie and see something I want to shoot right now, my right thumb is stroking the film advance lever as I'm raising the viewfinder to my eye. Ready to shoot as soon as I focus and (if needed since the last shot) meter/adjust aperture/shutter speed.
05-19-2008, 07:17 AM   #55
Veteran Member

i LOVE my K1000

but i have a PZ-10 that i like, it is the most simple AF camera to use sort of like a K1000 that has some auto feachers. if one needs full auto just put the lens in the A postion if one needs full manual set the F stop and pick the sutter speed.

i also like the Pn3 i have very ez to use and it still hase the split screen in it very light.
05-20-2008, 06:22 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Well in my own opinion......

Pentax ME!

Great camera, if a little heavy compaired to my new K100D
05-20-2008, 03:58 PM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I will deliberately strey from the fold of older camera lovers and send the discussion into another direction.

While I have a lot of respect for the LX, and it was, at the time, a very advanced camera, and also a pro camera, I would have to disagree that it was the best ever. Best at the time, definitely.

In terms of best ever, I think you need to consider the PZ-1 and PZ-1p.

while not pro cameras, they were far superior in terms of auto focus ability than any of the previous pentax offerings, had a fantastic 1/8000 shutter with 1/250 flash sync, a 3 fps winder, all auto modes imaginable, spot matrix and center weighted metering, full manual, TTL flash, customizable functions, ..... the list is too long to mention.

furthermore, these cameras will use every lens pentax has made, with no reduced performance of the camera over the functions available on the lenses, This includes the FA-J or crippeled K mount lenses, and except for image circle, all the DA lenses (except HSM).

It is really a film version of the K10D, and better in some respects.

I don't discount the MX, (or any m series camera) but it got caught in the craze of pentax to make little cameras. It is too small for many to hold comfortably.
I have to agree with Lowell here. I have not shot with the LX or the MX but have with the K1000, ME Super, ZX-5N, ZX-7, various Spotmatics and the PZ-1p. The PZ-1p, Z-1p is so easy to pick up after the K100D, uses all of the same lenses (vignetting issues aside, it still works), shoots 4.5 fps, faster than any other Pentax body and I find the focus very fast. Load it up with some Tri-X and you get art that you can't touch with a digital body.
05-20-2008, 06:21 PM   #58

Best Film slr

Bayonet Mt: LX
M42 Mt: ESII

Cheers,
Bob
[
06-01-2008, 11:25 PM   #59

I'd say the 645. I used to own a Spotmatic II and liked it a lot, but ended up using it a lot less than my other 35mm SLR workhorse. Now that I'm using a 645 (not N/NII), I really love that it feels no heavier than most modern film SLRs and how its grip has a certain feeling of confidence when using it. It's also remarkably quiet and doesn't shake the way a 67 can on shutter release. I bought mine used for a fraction of what I'm sure they went for a few years ago, and it was in mint condition. The lenses are solidly built and not remotely plasticky.

Maybe it's just an entry level medium format for some, but for someone wanting to shoot a bigger frame than 35mm and can't afford a Hasselblad or Mamiya modular setup, I think this is the way to go. 645N is nice, but unless you can't live without AF in every situation, the 645 is nothing shabby.
06-02-2008, 05:50 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I didn't like the Pentax 645's control interface (small buttons and LCD panel),
but it was the loud motorized-only film advance that made me trade mine away.
Yes, the lenses are very good...

Chris