Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2008, 06:30 AM   #61
Veteran Member

straightshooter: I find your response interesting (in post #45). First, after using both K-mount and screwmount cameras, I can see your point about never accpeting the K-mount. Since the screwmount lenses are so good, is there a need for the K-mount?

Second, since I bought the Spotmatic F, I have been thinking of finding a nice vintage meter to use with it. I have a Sekonic L-308S, and it does a good job. How might a vintage meter compare?

Thanks,
Glen

06-02-2008, 06:41 AM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Takumar lenses are great, but if you've ever been in a hurry to change one
you would appreciate the advantage of the bayonet mount.

IMO if straightshooter could compare his SPII to a more classic K-mount Pentax,
like the KM for example, he might have a different opinion...

Chris
06-02-2008, 06:52 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Interesting point, Chris. Yes, I wish I had not sold my KX a couple of years ago, as it would have been handy in quick-change situations. Although, I seem to hardly ever need to change lenses that fast, and that is perhaps why I have no real objection with the screwmount.

Glen
06-02-2008, 01:26 PM   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by accozzaglia Quote
It's also remarkably quiet and doesn't shake the way a 67 can on shutter release.
The 67II has basically no shutter shake If you don't believe me someone has a video out on the net of a quarter balancing on the camera with the finder off and the shutter doesn't disrupt the quarter on its edge.

06-02-2008, 02:53 PM   #65
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zx-m Quote
straightshooter: I find your response interesting (in post #45). First, after using both K-mount and screwmount cameras, I can see your point about never accpeting the K-mount. Since the screwmount lenses are so good, is there a need for the K-mount?https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=258276
PentaxForums.com - Reply to Topic

Second, since I bought the Spotmatic F, I have been thinking of finding a nice vintage meter to use with it. I have a Sekonic L-308S, and it does a good job. How might a vintage meter compare?

Thanks,
Glen
Glen, the problem with many of the "vintage" light meters is they used selenium in them. The meter worked by light hitting the selenium which generated voltage and moved the needle. This was fine and it worked without batteries but selenium would eventually quit reacting to light which made the meter useless. If you get a vintage meter, make sure it's a CdS meter (uses batteries) and not a selenium meter.

I take it the meter on your Spotmatic F is inop? Or do you just prefer an external meter.

CW
06-02-2008, 03:27 PM   #66
Veteran Member

CW: No, the meter in my Spot F is fine. Yes, I like using an external meter...it seems more precise. Actually, I just received my second Spot F body, and the meter in it seems fine, too.

Thanks,
Glen
06-02-2008, 06:01 PM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnsey Quote
The 67II has basically no shutter shake If you don't believe me someone has a video out on the net of a quarter balancing on the camera with the finder off and the shutter doesn't disrupt the quarter on its edge.
That was me, and it's an American nickel and my 20 year old 6x7.
I expect the newer ones are smoother....
Here it is:
http://www.pdmlpug.org/VIBRATION.MOV

06-20-2008, 07:14 AM   #68

If you're just wanting to try out some film, it's fairly easy to score a clean working P3 for not much too much money on fleabay. Mine works perfectly and came with a 50mm f2 A series lens all for about $20 US(not including about $5 or so for shipping). It's a nice little camera, but is DX-only for the ISO setting, has only Program AE and manual metering and no provision for a winder. The viewfinder is pretty good, it has an attachment for a cable release, and a DOF preview lever. It does require two 1.5V button cells, since the shutter is electronic. In my opinion it isn't the "Best" Pentax film SLR, I would reserve that moniker for either the LX(from handling one and trying it out when I worked in a camera store) or the MZ-S(at least from what I've read about it), but it's inexpensive and works well if you just want to shoot a little film now and then to see what it's like.

If you want something similar to the D-SLRs, Pentax made a 35mm film *ist body.

My favorite 35mm body would be a tie between the K1000(my first slr) and the MX.
06-20-2008, 08:52 AM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I paid $19.99 for my mint P30T. It's a very pleasant camera.

Chris
06-20-2008, 12:01 PM   #70
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
IMO if straightshooter could compare his SPII to a more classic K-mount Pentax,
like the KM for example, he might have a different opinion...
Chris
Chris, I meant to answer this the other day but a senior moment took over and I forgot. Actually, I have used several K mount bodies. I've had a Program Plus, still have a Super Program (wifes camera) and I recently aquired an MX and a couple of MEs. And of course my K100DS. I didn't say I wouldn't use the K mounts, just that I never really accepted them. I just like the feel of those old M42 Takumars compared to the feel of the K mounts. Plus, I'm not sure when they changed but in the Takumars there were two elements as one group where, at point of contact. one was concave and one convex. At some point, Pentax changed it so that the elements were both flat at the point of contact, saving money but reducing the quality of the lens. Granted it was a very small reduction but a reduction none the less.

CW
06-20-2008, 04:52 PM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The original Pentax K series cameras - K2, KM, KX and K1000 - are more like the old screwmount Pentax cameras.

The Takumars have wonderful build quality and feel, but I wouldn't trade any of my SMC Pentax K-mount lenses for one.

Chris
06-24-2008, 01:59 AM   #72
Forum Member

For me, the MX is the choice. I have been using my MX since 1974. Recently I visited Shanghai with it. As with many enthusiasts in the 70's, I was deterred by the bulkiness of SLR's made by other manufacturers. The lightness and small size of Pentax MX was ideal for me as my works involved travelling to numerous project sites in my country. I also chose MX against ME as I did not even have to put in the batteries to use it. (Batteries are for metering only).

Later, I also acquired the Pentax Auto 110 (see photo) which was even smaller and more convenient as a travelling camera than the MX. The only disadvantage was picture resolution due to the small size of the 110 films. The Auto 110 was a semi auto camra (focusing was manual) and had a full complement of lenses and a motor winder. However, time ran out for 110 films and my Auto 110 was retired in the 1990's.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
EX-Z75  Photo 
06-25-2008, 11:01 AM   #73

Speaking of the "best" film camera, I was lucky enough to score a used but working MX + 50 f2 off ebay. It's as cool as I remember.(Maybe even more cool)
06-25-2008, 11:58 AM   #74
Banned

glad to see the MX being chosen quite often. I love my superA and A series lenses but after acquiring my MX I have truly fell in love with this camera. sometimes I feel that all I need is my MX and smc-M 50mm 1.7.
06-25-2008, 12:17 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
Glen, the problem with many of the "vintage" light meters is they used selenium in them. The meter worked by light hitting the selenium which generated voltage and moved the needle. This was fine and it worked without batteries but selenium would eventually quit reacting to light which made the meter useless. If you get a vintage meter, make sure it's a CdS meter (uses batteries) and not a selenium meter.

CW
Though here's a hint about the selenium meters: for example the Gossen Pilot lives in a clamshell case. If it's lived in it all its life the total light exposure will be minimal, even after a couple of decades. These meters are small and handy.

The other big problem with selenium is how insensitive these are. Really, barely usable in a normally lit room. And slow to respond too, in such a situation.

There are a lot of cheap battery operated meters, but it's worth while to get one of the good ones - Gossen and Sekonic are the two main brands. I was leaning towards the Sekonic as my parents had one with their Nikon in the early 60's, but the way of the Bay said I needed to end up with two Gossens. The second one is a Luna (something? Lux I think, not Pro) SBC, which uses a 9 volt battery, the kind you put in fire alarms, and uses light indicators rather than a needle. It is a fantastic meter.