Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Got my repairable MX.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

This is a totally pointless post just because I feel pretty nifty right now for having a new toy.
This is actually the fault of you people trying to convince someone else they needed one and I just got caught in the crossfire.
I had considered a black body one but looking at how beat up they all tend to be I decided on the more durable yet cheaper black/silver finish.
I probably wouldn't have bought one at all but this auction came up right as you were all discussing them.

I actually wanted an LX for a long time but I couldn't justify the cost and regular upkeep just for the awesome light meter and 2000 shutter speed which are the only things the LX offers over the MX that I would actually use.

Here is the one I picked under the assumption that no matter what camera I got it would be going to Eric for a CLA. I thought the price was pretty decent even with shipping.
Used Pentax MX Body Only | eBay

After some MX specific homework I guessed (correctly it turns out) that the previous owner had taken the batteries out and lost the cover because that contact in the base was out of whack and the meter wouldn't shut off which is an easy fix. I think any of the 3 screw base plate 2 A76 battery cameras use the same battery cover as the ME Super battery cover I bought cheap off ebay fits the MX fine.
The foam is almost non existent which may be why the film counter is stuck past the end of its range. There is a spring loaded something that protrudes slightly from the hole in the back for the door switch so I don't think its just a stuck lever, something inside must be wedged, hopefully its not seriously broken.
All the fancy viewfinder indicators seem to work correctly.
The viewfinder itself is pretty dirty inside and the image actually has a faint yellow tint, hopefully just from dust. My Super Program is actually much clearer. I am hoping Eric can polish the very minor but plentiful cleaning scratches off the mirror too.
At first I thought the self timer was broken, then I realized you have to press the tiny button behind the lever after you pull it to make it start. I had always assumed from seeing it in pictures that it started automatically when you pulled the lever but this way is better I can see. DOF preview works.

Overall I THINK I am happy with it since all the repairs seem to be routine maintenance or minor common stuff. My only real concern is parts for the winder counter being available, and hopefully the viewfinder cleans up well, otherwise it seems all good to go and generally in really good shape.

OK I don't feel like rewriting what I just wrote, but looking the camera over just now it looks like my shutter release button/lock assembly is leaning suspiciously far towards the winder lever, I assume these are supposed to be perfectly straight up and down so its most likely gotten whacked and is pressing the cover into the counter dial. The cover actually looks flat still though its probably slightly deformed.
I'm not going to try to bend it back or fool with it, I'll just let Eric sort it out so I don't break it worse. It should be easy to fix once the body is apart since I don't think any new parts will be needed unless the counter is stripped from being jammed. Can they continue to wind past the end without stripping? It is stopped with a red 3 just visible on the right end of the window.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 04-15-2014 at 11:54 AM.
04-15-2014, 01:00 PM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
...shutter release button/lock assembly is leaning...
Eric can sort that out.. just be sure to call his attention to it as he is often concentrating on putting the internals back to specs and might not have other things on his radar if it is still working properly.
04-15-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Doesn't sound to me like there's much to worry about getting this guy back up n singing. I also know for fact that Eric has viewfinder screens for an MX. Not sure on the cost but I doubt it's unreasonable.

---------- Post added 04-15-14 at 05:24 PM ----------

Congrats!