Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2008, 03:05 PM   #1
Forum Member

Problem with K1000 mirror

Hello all,

first of all, thanks for creating such an excellent resource online for pentax users — I'm in a beginner photo class and this has been a great place to go for help.

I have a K1000 and the mechanism which operates the mirror has been failing. At first, the mirror wouldn't return to the down-position: after releasing the shutter, the viewfinder would remain dark. Certainly annoying, but it didn't make shooting impossible — I could take off the lens and flip down the mirror after every shot.

Now the mirror is failing to flip up. On my last few contact sheets, about half of the photos were partially blocked horizontally by a black shadow. I can only assume this is the mirror.

Can I fix this myself, or do I need to take it to be repaired? Or is it even worth repairing? I'm looking to buy a much lighter film camera for traveling this summer, and perhaps now is the time to buy one.

thanks, Michael

04-23-2008, 03:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Have a look on ebay. You could probably buy one for the cost of repair.
04-23-2008, 03:13 AM   #3
Banned

yes if you aren't too particularly attached to this K1000 it would probably cost less to replace it than it would to fix it. if you are looking to purchase a lighter camera and would still like to stick with pentax I would suggest a camera from the M series particularly the MX they are manual film cameras and are of the same great build quality of the K series only they are much smaller and lighter.
04-25-2008, 06:17 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Michael,
It sounds like it needs a CLA (clean, lube and adjust). This can be costly, but I have seen some repair offerings on ebay $50.00 for a CLA. Buying on ebay may or may not be the answer. I buy and repair cameras I get on ebay and most people either don't know how the camera is supposed to work or don't care. Most of the ones I've bought need a CLA and seals at the very least. If you really want a good old manual film camera, buy it from a reputable dealer. It will cost more but it will work.
Good luck,
Joe D.

04-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by mhoy Quote
Hello all,

first of all, thanks for creating such an excellent resource online for pentax users — I'm in a beginner photo class and this has been a great place to go for help.

I have a K1000 and the mechanism which operates the mirror has been failing. At first, the mirror wouldn't return to the down-position: after releasing the shutter, the viewfinder would remain dark. Certainly annoying, but it didn't make shooting impossible — I could take off the lens and flip down the mirror after every shot.

Now the mirror is failing to flip up. On my last few contact sheets, about half of the photos were partially blocked horizontally by a black shadow. I can only assume this is the mirror.

Can I fix this myself, or do I need to take it to be repaired? Or is it even worth repairing? I'm looking to buy a much lighter film camera for traveling this summer, and perhaps now is the time to buy one.

thanks, Michael
How did you flip the mirror back up? I seem to have the same problem with one of my cameras and I've been told as a consequence the film won't wind on because the camera thinks the shutter is open????

Whenever I try to flip the mirror back down it just rebounds back up. I figure maybe if I could get the mirror down I could wind new film

Mike
04-26-2008, 07:19 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikey55 Quote
How did you flip the mirror back up? I seem to have the same problem with one of my cameras and I've been told as a consequence the film won't wind on because the camera thinks the shutter is open????

Whenever I try to flip the mirror back down it just rebounds back up. I figure maybe if I could get the mirror down I could wind new film

Mike
There's a lever to the left of the mirror that I have to push down.