Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2014, 03:51 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Spotmatic and film question

Evenin' all from New Zealand

I recently picked up a very well looked after Spotmatic P, after buying it ostensibly for the 2 Takumar lenses that came with it, for use on my Kr..
So, I'd thought I'd dabble a wee bit in the world of film photogaphy..Now, just wondering what the best type of B&W film to use for such an old, but undeniably, beautiful beast. I got a hold of some Kodak T-max 100 that someone had kept it their freezer for approx 8-9 years, but assured me it would be fine. Would it work OK?

Sorry if this is an oft repeated and rather dumb question, but been so used to digital cameras that I'm floundering with the old stuff!

Cheers

Steve

04-23-2014, 04:48 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If it was properly stored then it should be fine. About TMAX and publication here -> KODAK PROFESSIONAL T-MAX 100 Film
04-23-2014, 04:58 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure what you have easy access to, but Fuji and Ilford have some nice films, as well as Kodak (and I use all of them). The fun is in experimenting to see which suits you.
I really like Fuji Acros 100 for Black & White. For color prints, I like Kodak's Ektar 100. Of course, Fuji Velvia for slides is a must.
There are plenty more good ones out there, though, and everyone's personal favorite differs.
04-23-2014, 05:16 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Find out what the local lab processess (as much as Velvia would be wonderful, it is E-6 and not easily processed here - mail away only). If you are prepared to shake it up at home Ilford HP5+ is very versatile, and Delta 100 is super fine grained. Both can be processed at home with some simple instruction - well documented on Youtube. You can often find used Patterson tank set ups for cheap in the classifieds or at the local shop.

If you are looking at C-41 there is plenty of choice out there. You're heading into rainy winter weather, so you'll be looking for ISO 400 probably. It costs me about $10 per 36 roll to acquire decent quality colour film, and another $10 to process it - I scan my own negs. The lower quality can be had in three packs for ~ $18. All prices in CAD. Some images posted here. I always try to tag camera, lens, and film type.

Shooting film gives one great perspective on the value of full frame, the severity of "noise" at high iso (my K5 IIs eats 400 ISO film for breakfast as far as image quality goes.) Have some fun with it but dont get over invested (Like I am).

04-23-2014, 05:54 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses and help. I don't think it will be something I'll become too involved in, but who knows..I might start processing negs at home- I've seen some of the set-ups you refer to, Matt, on trademe (NZ version of ebay) and they seemd pretty cheap.. Fuji Acros is available over here..And I will check out what the local film processing scene is like

We'll see. I need to get some batteries and get the old thing fired up, stick some of this film in and start taking some pictures before I get ahead of myself.

Cheers

Steve
04-23-2014, 09:08 AM   #6
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want to use B&W you may have an easier/cheaper time using one of the C-41 B&W films--e.g., Ilford XP-2. That way any outlet that does color negative film can do it