Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2014, 02:49 PM   #31
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Can you post a pic of the mirror bumper?

Take a long exposure with no lens and observe if the mirror compresses the foam to create a seal.

I'll see if I can post a pic after work.

Regarding the foam, when I do a long exposure (let's say in bulb mode) is the foam supposed to flatten from the mirror? Or is the foam supposed to be rigid and withstand the pressure if the mirror pressing on it?

04-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #32
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ravenorxs Quote

Regarding the foam, when I do a long exposure (let's say in bulb mode) is the foam supposed to flatten from the mirror? Or is the foam supposed to be rigid and withstand the pressure if the mirror pressing on it?
I would run a roll of film through your K1000, process it and make notes of any issues.

I would then send it to Eric for a CLA, this will also give you new light seals and mirror foam. A CLAed K1000 will be around $75.00 (plus shipping back to Canada).

Phil.
04-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #33
Forum Member

Original Poster
So here's a photo. You can see the strip of foam has a small indentation to it. I touched it lightly and it does form back to shape after pressure but the indentation will not go out further than its currently compressed state
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
XT1058  Photo 
04-28-2014, 08:56 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The mirror will squish the foam at least to a fair extent, so the dent shouldn't matter assuming you have assessed that the foam is in good shape. The seals on the rear door are also easy to inspect and often fall apart before the foam bumper because they are thinner and spend most of their time smashed.

As far as I am concerned there are only 2 classes of Pentax film cameras at this point, those that have already had a CLA with new bumpers and seals at some point in their life, and those that need it. I assume any used film body I buy will need to go in.

04-28-2014, 09:43 PM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
As far as I am concerned there are only 2 classes of Pentax film cameras at this point, those that have already had a CLA with new bumpers and seals at some point in their life, and those that need it. I assume any used film body I buy will need to go in.
+1 exactly!

Phil.
04-28-2014, 10:09 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you made the right choice for the long run and I very much doubt you will be disappointed with it. The MX is a nice camera but they do not seem to have held over the years as well as the K1000s have.

I would take the K1000 first and foremost. It is my most used manual camera. There is nothing you cannot do with the K1000 and there is far less to break. I own a number of Pentaxs, and I love each and every one of them. But the K1000 and the PZ1p are hands down my most used cameras. I own two PZ1p Pentax's in case one dies, but I only own one K1000; it has never died.
04-29-2014, 10:37 AM   #37
gma

A good way to check the light seals is to push the rear door with your thumb, on the left side when the camera is facing away from you. If the door moves the seals are past their best.
04-29-2014, 11:10 AM   #38
Site Supporter

Can somebody give a quick rundown in light seal assessment?
Touch the seals with a toothpick. If gummy, sticky, or crumbly, they need to be replaced.

Steve

04-29-2014, 02:59 PM   #39
Pentaxian

I recommend an Eric Hendrickson CLA which includes seals and bumper foam.
Your camera will come back working as new, and be good for another 25 years of reliable service.
Many Pentax Forums members in Canada will attest to his excellent service.

Chris
04-29-2014, 04:46 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Changing the seals is very easy, get a kit from Jon Goodman, and you can find the instructions on how to replace them here
Favorite Classics / Jon Goodman's Seal Replacement Instructions

04-29-2014, 05:00 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
That's my experience too. MX black bodies often look beat to death.
OTOH many K1000 bodies were purchased for a college photography course then seldom used.
That's the truth. I have a reasonably nice looking black MX (Eric H has it this very moment actually) but I bought it intentionally because it was cheaper and I intended it to be my everyday bangin around MX. I have a chromie as well that is near flawless (and it was cheaper). Love them both to pieces.
04-29-2014, 06:46 PM   #42

I have 2 K1000's and they were my starter camera's and Even through what I've put mine through, they've never failed me. I've got filters and all sorts of lenses that I play with on it. If i can get back to a place to develop film I'll be going back to playing with them again!
05-02-2014, 08:26 AM   #43

The MX is tiny, and I'd pick either the KX or KM over the K1000 (which is goes for the same price as the KX and KM on occasions)
05-03-2014, 10:03 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

So here's a photo. You can see the strip of foam has a small indentation to it. I touched it lightly and it does form back to shape after pressure but the indentation will not go out further than its currently compressed state
If you haven't done it yet, go shoot some film. I am always a fan of servicing cameras when it is needed, but until you shoot a roll or two of film you won't know if you need it or not. The biggest potential problem would be the foam starting to disintegrate and falling into the shutter mechanism. Yours doesn't look like this is a problem for you.

The rest of the stuff is not a big issue unless you turn out to have bad light leaks; and the only way you will know that is to shoot and develop a roll of film.

Play around with it; cock and fire the shutter. If everything seems to be working then put a lens on it, put some film in the back, and go shoot. When you get that roll back you will know a lot more.