Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2014, 07:21 PM   #1

Spotmatic storage

I travel back and forth from southeast asia every year and I would like to leave a pentax spotmatic film camera and some lenses in asia but I'm worried about condensation and mould. I store film in my feezer and i was wondering if it would be feasible to seal a camera and lenses in ziplock bags and put them in the freezer and avoid the moisture problem. Any thoughts?

04-27-2014, 10:13 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
By freezer do you actually mean fridge? (i.e. the "warmer" bit?)

I can't see that storing it in the freezer or fridge would be beneficial. The moment you take it out of the fridge it would cause condensation to form on the surfaces and inside the camera. (i.e. think about a bottle of beer when removed from the fridge.)
I would just use the zip lock bag and some dry-packs (moisture absorbing silica gel) and keep it in a cupboard.
04-27-2014, 10:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Desiccant Packs

Silica Gel Desiccants packs with Tyvek for high moisture absorption.
04-27-2014, 10:17 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
By freezer do you actually mean fridge? (i.e. the "warmer" bit?)

I can't see that storing it in the freezer or fridge would be beneficial. The moment you take it out of the fridge it would cause condensation to form on the surfaces and inside the camera. (i.e. think about a bottle of beer when removed from the fridge.)
I would just use the zip lock bag and some dry-packs (moisture absorbing silica gel) and keep it in a cupboard.
the freezer compartment of the fridge. i would try and warm it up slowly with the back and front open with a fan blowing on it. nervous about the silica gel as im away for 8 months

---------- Post added 04-27-14 at 10:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by eddaytona Quote
Desiccant Packs

Silica Gel Desiccants packs with Tyvek for high moisture absorption.
thank you

04-27-2014, 11:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter

You can get BIG packs of the gel that should serve your needs. I wouldn't put it in a freezer if it were me. There are other things that can wrong besides condensation when you do that.
04-27-2014, 11:26 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddaytona Quote
You can get BIG packs of the gel that should serve your needs. I wouldn't put it in a freezer if it were me. There are other things that can wrong besides condensation when you do that.
i have a feeling youre correct! thanks for your help.
04-28-2014, 08:15 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I would get one of these dry cabinets.

Dry cabinet application for the mass media industry. |EDRY- manufacturer and supplier in Taiwan , Dry Box, Dry Cabinet, Ultra dry storage,<5%RH, desiccator cabinet, welcome all distributors & agents t

Phil.
04-28-2014, 01:59 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A pelican water tight box or a Ziplock bag should work.
The air tight box/case can also help to keep the lenses in and prevent mold from growing.
A good silica gel pack should be enough to suck up all the moisutre in the air as long as those are kept airtight; but those are cheap so you can use many

04-28-2014, 05:58 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
A pelican water tight box or a Ziplock bag should work.
The air tight box/case can also help to keep the lenses in and prevent mold from growing.
A good silica gel pack should be enough to suck up all the moisutre in the air as long as those are kept airtight; but those are cheap so you can use many
thank you!
04-29-2014, 12:16 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I would keep it simple. Keep it in a large ZipLoc bag with as much air pushed out as possible. Fill the bag with desiccant packs and store the bag in a cool place that won't tumble onto the floor in case of an earthquake.
04-29-2014, 12:41 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I would keep it simple. Keep it in a large ZipLoc bag with as much air pushed out as possible. Fill the bag with desiccant packs and store the bag in a cool place that won't tumble onto the floor in case of an earthquake.
thank you
05-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #12
Giveaway winner!

For lenses in for warm climates... consider storing them front facing down and if for long periods, especially older lenses, inspect them for signs of oil seepage. As sturdy as the grease used in Pentax lenses, high temperatures will cause it to separate. This is possible in extreme cold as well.