Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #1

pentax mx mirror return

hi, I'm new here and i have a question about the sound from my mx's mirror when it go back to the original position...

it's loud and kinda weird i think
The sound should be more "dull" it suppose?

The sound is pretty weird and more important is too loud to not to attach and attention...

Any experience or advise for me?
Is it normal or something gone wrong?

Here is the video i capture of my mx

05-08-2014, 10:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Pentax Forum.

The mirror return sounds a bit noisy. The MX might need new mirror bumper foam

I would contact Eric for his opinion, a CLA will fix the issue:

Pentax Camera Service Home Page

Phil.
05-09-2014, 04:32 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forum.

The mirror return sounds a bit noisy. The MX might need new mirror bumper foam

I would contact Eric for his opinion, a CLA will fix the issue:

Pentax Camera Service Home Page

Phil.
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the advise and I have ask eric and he's really helpful and professional.
Now i know where the problem is however unluckily i can't ask for his help as i live in hong kong, the postage fee for sending it to eric will be very high...

I will see if someone know how to fix it in hong kong first...

Once again Thank you very much!
05-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #4
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hadogumu Quote
Now i know where the problem is...
Does it sound as similar with speed 30 or lower down to B and different at speeds above? It sort of sounds like the second curtain and the release arm is not working smoothly?

05-10-2014, 03:21 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
Does it sound as similar with speed 30 or lower down to B and different at speeds above? It sort of sounds like the second curtain and the release arm is not working smoothly?
It happen to all shutter speed. And the problem should be related to a spring that behind the mirror box, however it doesn't affect other functions. So I'm wondering is it worth the money and to open the body to fix it.
05-12-2014, 11:57 AM   #6
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hadogumu Quote
...spring that behind the mirror box,...
Do you mean the armatures that operate the mirror and curtain trip cycles? As in... the parts facing the timer side of the mirror?

If you like the camera and it is junk unless you fix it, it will be worth it to try and solve the problem.
Also, if you are going that deep into the camera, you can give it a good cleaning and re-lubing at the same time.

The only tricky things that I can remember towards digging that deep into the camera is that you need to disengaging of the mirror box and prism from the transport/shutter body, noting where the curtain tripping points are to line up later, setting up the release rod and checking the meter leaf switches correctly.

It would help to have the service manual and I would recommend that you have a big clear area to work, put down a big sheet of paper and sequentially remove and write notes and tape down parts as you progress through the disassemble. This is very handy as you take your time and this project will last more that a day or two.
05-12-2014, 05:34 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
Do you mean the armatures that operate the mirror and curtain trip cycles? As in... the parts facing the timer side of the mirror?

If you like the camera and it is junk unless you fix it, it will be worth it to try and solve the problem.
Also, if you are going that deep into the camera, you can give it a good cleaning and re-lubing at the same time.

The only tricky things that I can remember towards digging that deep into the camera is that you need to disengaging of the mirror box and prism from the transport/shutter body, noting where the curtain tripping points are to line up later, setting up the release rod and checking the meter leaf switches correctly.

It would help to have the service manual and I would recommend that you have a big clear area to work, put down a big sheet of paper and sequentially remove and write notes and tape down parts as you progress through the disassemble. This is very handy as you take your time and this project will last more that a day or two.
Thanks for the reply.
Yes i do love this camera so much. I really enjoy the full mechanical body and the sound also the solid feeling in hand. That's why i notice tge sound and i really don't like it to be so weird.
However, those technician/repair servise refused to help me with the problem even i said I'm willing to pay. And i don't think i have the knowledge and courage to do it myself.

Maybe I'll send it oversea for the cla servise after my travel trip for a CLA, I think it's worth the extra shipping fees as i really like it.