Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2014, 02:43 PM   #1

Pentax MZ-5 Shutter Problems

Hi I just recieved a MZ-5 and I replaced the batteries and everything seems to be working fine. When i take a picture I hear the whine of the film being used, but the shutter does not fire. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Thanks!

05-10-2014, 02:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Unfortunately the MZ range is prone to such failures due to having plastic gears operating the shutter.
05-10-2014, 03:45 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Unfortunately the MZ range is prone to such failures due to having plastic gears operating the shutter.
Do you know if there is a way to replace it? Do you know if its something I can fix? Or do you have any recommendations if I should just get another body? Suggestions? Thanks!

---------- Post added 05-10-14 at 05:58 PM ----------

Nevermind I found an old forum explaining what I would need to do if I wanted to fix the issue. Such a sad thing. I guess I'll be fixing it or selling the body and keeping the lens.
05-11-2014, 02:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The MZ cameras are very cheap to buy these days, so it depends what emotional value (if any) you are putting on the one you have, as financial value is low and repair costs high, so you would be throwing money away if you could find anyone to fix it

Probably best to buy another that is working already, and maybe keep the one you have for spares, or return it whence it came for a refund if you bought it recently.

As to a diy repair, you'd probably need to buy another unit to strip for spares. I understand that the issue is that the gear teeth strip off the cog. Not sure why, though. One suggestion I read is that the plastic degrades with age.

I have an MZ-7 (from new) and love it, although I don't use it very often.

05-11-2014, 04:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been using an MZ5 on and off for a few years and (knock on wood) it's still working.
Sorry to hear your woes. Hopefully you'll find a cheap replacement or a good place to get it repaired.

I myself plan to find an MZ-6 (which at some point did include the metal gear so it doesn't strip) or maybe an MZ-S. In the meanwhile, the MZ5 is fine