Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2014, 07:45 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by weijen Quote
The SF bodies has got a very cool built-in AF spotbeam. It projects a pattern when it's dark.
Yep, that really annoyed my colleagues who bought Nikons at the same time when we were working in Saudi Arabia(1989). I could shoot and get focussed images while their Nikons couldn't.

05-17-2014, 08:34 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I've had the stuck mirror problem with a PZ-1
My Z-1 doesn't have a stuck mirror, it has a detached mirror
05-17-2014, 02:36 PM   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by weijen Quote
Why did MX and ME come in? ;D
They always make their way into a camera recommendation discussion. You can expect the KX, K2, and Spotmatic pretty soon now. Funny, nobody ever recommends a *ist.

Steve
05-17-2014, 04:08 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Funny, nobody ever recommends a *ist.
those haven't come up on the used market at all that I've come across, and I would imagine it would command a bit higher price...

05-18-2014, 07:05 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just won a ZX-5 on ebay... $30 including the ship and came with a F35-80 zoom which I don't want, but hey... Hopefully it works as stated.
05-19-2014, 01:10 AM   #36
Pentaxian

on a budget, if you can find a (P)z-1 that is the one to go. But I am personnaly also fond of the Z-20. a fine camera.
05-20-2014, 12:26 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Funny, nobody ever recommends a *ist.

Funny thing is I'd be interested in an *ist film.

I'd love to compare it directly to my *istDS
05-20-2014, 08:30 AM   #38
Pentaxian

The ZX-7 is a nice camera. I like it, just wish I could choose the focus point and change the metering between spot and pattern. From what I understand they fixed that in the MZ-6/ZX-L.

05-21-2014, 03:19 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well my ZX-5 arrived today and I am very pleasantly surprised. I have been contemplating what battery option to go with, but thankfully the seller shipped the camera so fast that it arrived before I made a decision, because it actually came with the FG grip (and batteries that have juice), though it wasn't in the ad or pictures (that I noticed at least)...

Aside from its appearance (I would have ideally preferred something all black), I can't foresee having any displeasure with this camera. The viewfinder is actually much larger than I was anticipating... It seems to AF quickly with enough light...

I think I am going to be burning through a lot more film with this thing that my manual focus bodies...

Last edited by todd; 05-21-2014 at 08:34 PM.
06-15-2014, 10:39 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
ZX50. It has the modern controls of a current dSLR (Av/Tv/M) and if you've shot with a newer dSLR it will be extremely intuitive to pick up. Plus it's got a pretty decent AF engine.

I also have an SF1. The SF1 is built like a tank, but because shooting with it is SO different than a modern dSLR, I find myself often missing a shot as I try and remember how to change to the settings I need. It takes excellent pictures, but the AF engine is old, it's pretty slow to lock focus especially in low light, and it's not as accurate as the ZX50. Even though it's largely plastic, if you drop the SF1, chances are it will break whatever it lands on. It's HEAVY. The ZX50 is a feather in comparison. It also feels like it would be easy to break. But... that has advantages too, because a heavy camera sucks to carry around all day. A ZX50 is $25 on eBay, so if you do break it that's not a big deal.

Charles.
06-16-2014, 07:46 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GateCityRadio Quote
The ZX-7 is a nice camera. I like it, just wish I could choose the focus point and change the metering between spot and pattern. From what I understand they fixed that in the MZ-6/ZX-L.
With the ZX-L/MZ-6, you can't really change your focus point. You can choose 3 point auto, or center point only.
As for spot metering, you can program the meter lock (AEL) to spot metering.
06-17-2014, 12:57 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
With the ZX-L/MZ-6, you can't really change your focus point. You can choose 3 point auto, or center point only.
As for spot metering, you can program the meter lock (AEL) to spot metering.
I just bought two ZX-L cameras within the past week. I was actually looking for the choice to use just the center point. Thats how I have my dSLRs set up and my old Nikon N90S only had center point AF. I'm pretty happy with these cameras so far, I was going to buy a MZ-S but now I feel like I don't really need to.

The first ZX-L was $60 on ebay complete with all paperwork, manual, original box, camera bag, CR2 Batteries, and a cheap sigma zoom I'm probably going to get rid of. The whole set-up was in excellent condition.

The second ZX-L was $30 in BGN condition on KEH.com. It hasn't actually made it here yet but usually stuff that is in BGN condition at KEH is in better shape then described.
06-26-2014, 09:47 AM   #43
Veteran Member

I'll leave MZ-S out because it still isn't 'budget'. The *ist film isn't really either, though more because of its relative rarity. PZ-1, PZ-1p, Z5, and MZ-3 also probably are a bit expensive to be called 'budget'.

Z-20 is a decent choice, feels more solid than the other MZ/ZX bodies. It offers hypermanual and program shift which the MZ/ZX bodies lack. It lacks viewfinder diopter adjustment, lacks AA battery option, and uses more expensive batteries. If you really want to have control over metering pattern (matrix/center/spot) you probably would want a MZ-S/3/5/5n, PZ-1/1p, or *ist film. The ZX-L/MZ-6 spot option using AE-L feels like a bit of a hack. The ZX-L/MZ-6 is otherwise pretty nice despite the small viewfinder (which actually to my eye looks pretty close to a APS-C DSLR pentaprism).

I also like the SF1/X/1n/Xn. Viewfinders are large but a little dark. Feel very substantial and sturdy, though ergonomics obviously a little different. No aperture in viewfinder. Noisy shutter and film advance, normally use more expensive batteries but there is an AA grip available though not that easy to find.

I would tend to avoid some of the lower-end models of these lines (e.g. ZX-60, SF-7/10) -- the SF7 doesn't feel as sturdy, has no exposure comp, and limited shutter speed display in viewfinder. Some of the lower-end bodies in the MZ/ZX (30/50/60) line have their mount crippled and cannot function with some manual-focus lenses.