Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2014, 05:17 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
CR2's or FG grip?

I have an ebay purchased ZX-5/MZ-5 on the way and need to order some batteries for it. As I am looking at options it seems that buying a couple sets of rechargeable CR2's and a charger is a fine way to go... Is this camera going to be a big fast drain on these? (It has typically been taking me a month at minimum to get through a 36-exp roll of film with my ME Super)...

Should I get the FG instead? I've never used a grip before on digital (or film) but don't expect that the extra bulk would be something I'd consider a plus (because I am always packing the film cameras along with my digital gear), unless I am going to get substantially more battery life out of the thing (and need it), or if there is something else to this equation that I am not aware of... Thanks

05-20-2014, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I'd get the grip, and then get a good set of rechargeable AA batteries. It'll pay for itself in the long run. Unless, of course, the cost of the rechargeable CR2's and charger are less than the grip + batteries. You may also want to consider the grip if you have large-ish hands.

I've got both the MZ-M and the MZ-6, and I like them better with the grip, but that's just me.

EDIT: I've left the camera loaded with film for months using Ni-MH batteries, and it was ready to go when I picked it up to use it. I think there were eloops in the camera, but I'm not sure.
05-21-2014, 02:22 PM   #3
Forum Member

I managed to pick up the grip for $US20 a few years ago. With an existing pile of eneloops it made sense. I agree it would be the best approach especially if you can get the grip for the right price...
05-21-2014, 02:59 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well I sure am a happy camper... The ZX-5 and F35-80 zoom (I didn't want the zoom but won't complain about it being part of the package) that I bought for $30 with shipping included actually came with the FG grip! It wasn't advertised or pictured in the ebay ad... It even came loaded with batteries that have juice... Sure wish I had a roll of film ready to throw in there!

09-17-2015, 08:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Resurrecting this thread rather than starting my own because the topic is very similar. I have the grip for my MZ-3 but much of the time I prefer using the camera sans grip - the grip with a quad of high capacity NiMH adds a ton of weight and bulk to this otherwise compact performer.
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with rechargeable CR2 batts? I've read in a few places their life is pretty awful and that they must be charged frequently. Any opinions here or has anyone gone that route as opposed to the grips for AA?
09-21-2015, 02:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

This interests me as well if anyone has used rechargibles.... right now I can get them for a great price at the local supermarket so no rush :-)
09-24-2015, 12:16 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Seems no one has rechargeable experiences... I just broke down and bought a lil box of 10 "Tenergy" brand off Amazon. Lucked out... someone screwed up and they sent me 40.
09-24-2015, 04:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I find that my problem on the MZ-S isn't the battery life for the sake of the battery. I forget to turn the dang thing off and there is no sleep function!

Let us know how many rolls you get through flash / no flash etc.

I have some rechargable tenergy's for my flashlight and love them.

09-24-2015, 10:01 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote
I find that my problem on the MZ-S isn't the battery life for the sake of the battery. I forget to turn the dang thing off and there is no sleep function!

Let us know how many rolls you get through flash / no flash etc.

I have some rechargable tenergy's for my flashlight and love them.
Oh they aren't the rechargeable variety. Just regular Lithium CR2 batts.