Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2014, 06:50 AM   #16
Forum Member

I clicked on the thread to tell you that an auto winder was a ridiculous idea, but after reading the other replies, I may just have to pick one up myself.

05-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jesssss Quote
but after reading the other replies, I may just have to pick one up myself.
It is good to be cool

Steve
05-27-2014, 09:51 AM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is good to be cool

Steve
I need all the help I can get. Maybe this is the last bit I need.
05-27-2014, 05:43 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
lol yeah right :P

05-29-2014, 12:04 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I have 2 x MEII winders, an MX winder, a LX winder and a LX motordrive, and 2 x Motordrive As, one functional, one not. I almost never use any of them! I also have a battery grip for my K20D which I never use. I think they are a Marmite thing...

K.
05-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I think they are a Marmite thing...
Marmite-induced winder addiction!!!

Steve
06-01-2014, 10:37 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I have one and don't care much for it. it makes the camera heavier, louder (a shame on the ME Super since it has a great sounding shutter)
On the other hand, despite the weight, the handling is improved by the larger grip, you do get 2 FPS, and a bit of a "geekiness" to the entire setup.

So, it all depends on what you're after.
BTW, I think I might be putting mine up for sale soon. I prefer shooting without it as it feels more involving and interesting to wind and cock the shutter manually

06-01-2014, 04:01 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have used the winder and Motordrive-A with the Super-A, both give you a better/bigger grip (YMMV) on the camera when using long lenses, the motordrive is much smoother in operation and has a vertical shutter release (that I never use) but takes 8 instead of 4 AA batteries. With long lenses they help, but for most shooting they're not necessary - the Super-A detachable grip is quite good in itself. As much as I like shooting film, I doubt I'll be shooting anything that needs the 3fps of the motordrive.

The other advantage is that you can get an electronic remote release when using either, which could be quite handy in some situations.

John.
06-01-2014, 04:25 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
The other advantage is that you can get an electronic remote release when using either, which could be quite handy in some situations.
I thought the wired remote was a optional accessory. At least mine did not come with one
06-01-2014, 04:41 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I thought the wired remote was a optional accessory. At least mine did not come with one
Yep you're right it was an optional accessory - I meant that there is a remote release available for both the winder and the motor-drive - although they have different connectors.
06-04-2014, 02:16 AM - 1 Like   #26

Original Poster
My winder arrived today. Costed me $10 shipped. When I brought it back on a flight, it showed up looking very much like a gun on my luggage scan. The officer had to scan my bag a few times to be sure. I told her it's a camera accssory and we laughed it off. It was really funny. Next time I'll be sure to take it out and put it on the tray. Haha!
06-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #27

Original Poster
Ok, I've finally tested the winder on my camera. I found the mechanical coupler a bitch to mate. Does anyone experience coupler slippage? mine tends to slip and the motor just buzzed continuously without latching to the advance lever unless I squeeze the body to the winder even after I screwed the lock tightly.

anyway.. Back in the days, only the pros deserve the motor drive. Today, only the camera junkie would bother with one

Last edited by weijen; 06-05-2014 at 11:38 PM.
06-06-2014, 12:09 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Check the winder is mounted flat.

I find when mounting the winder MEII onto my ME that it can sometimes sit slightly skewed if I'm not careful to centre it.

Make sure the winder is mounted dead square with the body, on my ME I seem to recall there's a slight raised bit that needs to line up with the edge of the body, otherwise it can make it sit proud.
Wiggle the winder a bit, if it's not square on it should move closer into the body as you wiggle.

The other possibility is that the springs in the winder's teeth thingy aren't pushing the teeth up enough to grab the camera's drive.
06-06-2014, 09:46 AM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by weijen Quote
I found the mechanical coupler a bitch to mate.
Remember to remove the accessory grip from the front of the camera. The winder will not mount cleanly with the grip attached!!

Steve
06-06-2014, 02:31 PM   #30
Pentaxian

I found the MEII winder on a Super A didn't work all that well. The Motordrive A fits much better. K.