Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2014, 12:06 AM   #1

Should I bother with a winder for my Super Program?

Hi, I have a Super Program. I am thinking of getting the Winder ME-ii for it. But two thoughts keep coming to my mind.

A. It adds bulk and weight to the camera and takes up space in the cupboard too. Not that I'm not going to use the rapid-fire anyway..
B. It's so damn cheap, just get it for the sake of having one!

To buy, or not to buy.. Help me out please

05-23-2014, 12:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Buy it !!! I recently handled Super A with the winder attached - paired with SMC 40mm pancake lens - it is a dream comes true if it comes to manual body - the grip adds so much comfort in handling the camera - plus 2 frames per sec sounded so cool :P - I am thinking myself of getting one combo like that !

' >' manntax
05-23-2014, 12:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If it's cheap enough I would highly recommend it.

it is very comfortable in the hand and makes the camera more stable to hold, especially with longer lenses (it's a good balance for my 70-210)

It does however double the camera's weight nearly (with the batteries)

It's easy to take on and off, even with the camera loaded, so if it's cheap I'd go for it.
05-23-2014, 01:07 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The grip does ad comfort when handling the camera. I also have one (but then for the ME-super). There si only one but, the noise. compared what we are used to now, it is almost deafening

05-23-2014, 01:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I thought we liked pentax because they are small

They are dorky and cool like a tape deck is dorky and cool, probably about the same amount of fun too

I'll let you decide if that sounds like fun or not
05-23-2014, 02:47 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Gripping?

Hello weijen,
I'll add my recommendation for the winder (which now is called a battery grip for digital) because Pentax bodies ARE so small. My hands aren't overly large but the pinkie and ring finger both slip off the Pentax DSLRs and it's worse with a film body, they're slimmer and lighter.
If you want max portability and small size, don't use it.
For balance with longer lenses or lengthy hand-held shooting sessions, use with hot-shoe flash (the film bodies are really unbalanced with an AF280T on top) and most non-tripod use, I use a winder/grip on all my SLRs.
JMO,
Ron
P.S. Just for fun, try the winder with no film loaded. What a racket!
05-23-2014, 03:42 AM   #7

Original Poster
I can imagine that is would sound much like my A3000. I think that's the noisiest camera Pentax ever made, which doesn't sound too different from my son's battery operated water gun!

Ok, I'll get it just for the sake of having one then.. I'm going to buy from an ebay seller who "selling-as-is-and-don't-know-a-damn-thing-about-it". What are the chances it's good? I've asked the seller and he told me the battery bay is good. I've never seen too many complaints of dead winders here so I'll take my chances!
05-23-2014, 04:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It's probably about the same volume as the A3, but it's a much crankier sound.

Where the A3 has a "click-ZIIIING" sound the MEII winder is more a "Clack-GNRRRRR" sound.

My only complaint is that the shutter release on the winder doesn't have a definitive stop between the meter and fire positions like the on-camera shutter button does.
The slightest pressure beyond that and it fires, which has made me waste a few shots when I've not been concentrating.

05-23-2014, 07:03 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
the MEII winder is more a "Clack-GNRRRRR" sound.
Yep...

I have both the camera and the winder and they make a good pair. Might I also add that the combo also looks cool? My review of the winder is with the others:

Pentax Winder ME II reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

A few quick notes:
  • Nice build
  • Control placement is cramped for large hands
  • Noisy
  • The accessory grip on the Super Program must be removed prior to mounting the winder
  • Set-up can be a little fussy. A thorough read of the manual is recommended.
Here is my setup along with a couple of cousins:

Steve

---------- Post added 05-23-14 at 07:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
I'll let you decide if that sounds like fun or not
Oh, yes...It is fun. Back in the day the camera shop would always mount the winder to the body before handing it to the potential buyer. Pick up the combo and you feel like a real pro! They were the most commonly-purchased accessory for most consumer SLRs after a flash.

Steve
05-23-2014, 08:12 AM   #10
Site Supporter

I have winders for my ME-Super, MX, and the Mighty LX. Particularly for the M cameras they add just enough bulk and mass to fit my hand better, make the cameras more wieldy for vertical shots, and aid in maintaining framing for a sequence. The LX winder features power rewind, which may sound ridiculous but is really nice. And of course the "cool factor" is considerable.
05-23-2014, 07:46 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
It's probably about the same volume as the A3, but it's a much crankier sound.

Where the A3 has a "click-ZIIIING" sound the MEII winder is more a "Clack-GNRRRRR" sound.
I noticed my A3 goes "click-Zzzzt.." and ends with a metalic "Ke-Tak!". A very funky sound indeed that guarantees attention. The amazing thing is that the AA batteries do live a long time in it.

I wish the ME-ii would rewind the film as well but there's no way it can be done. My Nikon F3's MD-4 does rewind as well as 6fps. Very cool to watch, but that's a whole different beast altogether!
05-24-2014, 01:22 AM   #12
Pentaxian

IMO the Winder MX significantly improves the handling of the Pentax MX.

For that really "cool" motor drive sound nothing could beat my Nikon FM2n with MD-12,
a combo so loud I often thought it would make a good New Year's Eve noisemaker.

Chris
05-24-2014, 07:24 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have both the camera and the winder and they make a good pair. Might I also add that the combo also looks cool?
Nice set and yes they look cool!

Phil.

---------- Post added 05-24-14 at 07:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
IMO the Winder MX significantly improves the handling of the Pentax MX.
Yeah that would make the combo about the same size as a KX and would be much better for larger hands.

Phil.
05-24-2014, 10:02 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Technically the motor drive A is the correct winder for a Super A/Super Program though its probably more expensive.

I personally hate winders since I don't like bulk or additional electronics and I prefer to wind when I know I am going to take another shot and the noise would not attract attention or scare away something. The Super Program actually has a really nice short stroke wind lever that can be done near silently by hand if needed.
Unless you found a way to go back in time if you want to look like a pro you carry a DSLR, if you want to look like a camera geek add a winder to a film camera.
If I am shooting something where I need to go full auto that job now belongs to my digital, the film stuff is for carefully considered shots.

I have large strong hands but don't have fat fingers which might be the problem for some, I really like how the Super Program handles with its light weight and grip, its one of the few metal bodies you can easily hold one handed for any long length of time. You can even adjust shutter speed and press the shutter button half press easily one handed if you grip it so your pointer finger is free.
If you have a large lens you support the camera with the lens hand anyways which you would have to do to adjust shutter speed with the right hand with a grip anyways so it sorta defeats its purpose as a handle.
Grips were really intended for pros from the film era to do things like press event shoots with the camera in in full auto mode where they rifled off a ton of shots in a short period without touching any other controls.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 05-24-2014 at 10:11 AM.
05-24-2014, 10:29 AM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Unless you found a way to go back in time if you want to look like a pro you carry a DSLR, if you want to look like a camera geek add a winder to a film camera
Carrying a Pentax 6x7 or any other MF film camera usually makes you look like you know what you are doing, especially if you are using a waist level finder.

Phil.