Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Asahi Pentax

Well, I'm very excited. Yesterday my Asahi Pentax arrived. I sent it to Eric today for repairs (jammed shutter = fair price). I'm really looking forward to getting it back and running film through it. Next up on the collection to-do list: S2 Super and K.

05-29-2014, 11:53 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Howdy. Congratulations, those Original 'AP's are really nice cameras. I had mine serviced by Eric last year (the year before ?), and it came back looking and functioning like new.
You might want to move this thread to /Pentax Cameras/Pentax Film SLR Discussion
05-29-2014, 01:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh, shoot. Thank you, Moe. I mis-read the entire sub-forum heading.

Can an admin please move this thread to the correct sub-forum?
05-29-2014, 02:29 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
Can an admin please move this thread to the correct sub-forum?
Done.

05-29-2014, 04:25 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
Well, I'm very excited. Yesterday my Asahi Pentax arrived. I sent it to Eric today for repairs (jammed shutter = fair price). I'm really looking forward to getting it back and running film through it. Next up on the collection to-do list: S2 Super and K.
Have fun! The AP is really back to basics, but without the auto-diaphragm linkage the sound is quieter and simpler. I really enjoy shooting mine. The pre-set lenses take me back: When I bought my first SLR it was a Pentax H1a, and I got a Tamron T-mount 135 f3.5 pre-set lens at the same time. As long as I used the 135 for long enough to get in the habit of closing the lens after focusing it was easy, but if I switched back and forth with the 55 Super Tak I'd keep forgetting.
So my advice is put all other cameras away for a month and shoot only the AP. You'll form habits in using it and it will become easy.
I also use a 1930s Leica Standard, which has a viewfinder and scale-focus lens. So to focus accurately I use an accessory optical rangefinder. Frame the shot, look through the double-image rangefinder and adjust it's scale to merge the images, read the distance, then set the lens to the same distance, switch to the camera's viewfinder and re-frame, and take the shot. Sort of like using an Asahiflex where I use the WL finder to focus, then shift to the eye-level viewfinder to compose and snap. After that the H1a seems so easy.
05-29-2014, 08:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Congratulations as there is nothing like an original AP refreshed by Eric!
05-30-2014, 10:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Tom, thank you for the tip. I don't have any pre-set lenses, so I'll be switching between manual and auto a bunch. I'm really looking forward to learning how to use this camera this summer. This fall, I'll be learning the S2 Super, so that's pretty great, too.

@Les, I know. He's done something like 20 of my cameras now. I always look forward to paying his invoices. Interestingly, it's the only invoice I ever get that I look forward to paying.