Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-29-2014, 12:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax LX assistance and comparison - Winder Grip Questions

So I finally pulled the trigger on an LX which arrived this morning. Everything appears be in good shape with a couple of exceptions, the most of which is the film rewind function of the winder. Like the film advance mechanism, it too has a gear of sorts which mates with the camera body in order to rewind the film. That part of the winder works fine, however on the camera body, beneath the threaded cover where the two parts should 'mate', there is nothing but an empty cavern. Looking inside I can see the bottom gear of the film remind lever however there would need to be some sort of extension so that the winder mechanism could *reach* into the camera that far in order to turn it. Is this a missing/broken piece or something that is removable and must be inserted into that space for this to work? I'm scratching my head. The auto-rewind clearly works, but it is clearly just spinning it place at the winder. I've some other questions but that one is key and I have to get back to work!

05-29-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
should 'mate', there is nothing but an empty cavern
One side is to mate with the "transport" mechanism and the other part mates with the bottom of the film cassette. When you operate the rewinder, the lever pushes up the rewinding spindle to reach up to the film spool. Have a look... with the winder off the camera, hold the rewind button and operate the lever. If you see the rewinding spindle extend, then all is as it should; if you don't see this and that means something is wrong.
05-29-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
One side is to mate with the "transport" mechanism and the other part mates with the bottom of the film cassette. When you operate the rewinder, the lever pushes up the rewinding spindle to reach up to the film spool. Have a look... with the winder off the camera, hold the rewind button and operate the lever. If you see the rewinding spindle extend, then all is as it should; if you don't see this and that means something is wrong.
Well would you look at that. This camera is the bee-flippin-knees. Thanks!!
05-29-2014, 05:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This LX seems to be in really good shape with the exception of some damage it looks like it must have acquired during shipping - which is a total bummer considering everything else is so nice - even the light seals and mirror foam appear to be more than decent, and no 'sticky mirror' whatsoever. Speeds all sound accurate, viewfinder is clean and bright, meters well (so far as I can tell... this metering system is very new to me - it's clearly different than any other Pentax offering - feel free to chime in with pointer on the use of it). But then there is the bummer...
The flash hot shoe is unusable - it seems that it took a very nasty hit on the way here. The box arrived with the camera inside nothing but a ziplock bag thrown into some packing peanuts, so of course the camera was down at the bottom and to one side of the box, being protected by nothing but some very used (the box had seen better days) cardboard and sheen of zip-lock plastic. :-( Sigh. I can't get a flash onto with out forcing it - one side of the hotshoe has been literally slightly *dented* into the top of the viewfinder. I've opened a case with the seller but I intend to keep the camera if they'll issue a partial refund (this is a theme for me this week unfortunately) since I really do hardly any flash work and when I do it's normally with off-camera flash.

Sad panda face.

View Picture EXIF
Name:  R0024710-001.JPG
Views: 490
Size:  318.2 KB

05-29-2014, 07:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Look on the bright side.

Since the LX has interchangable viewfinders it's a simple job to replace it :P

But I can also understand the annoyance.

There may be the possibility of replacing the hot shoe alone. I don't recall how they are attached on the LX, but if screws are visible on top you may be able to simply remove the dented part (which looks to just be the outer hook bit) and replace it.

For the replacement part, I wouldn't be surprised if it was shared with other Pentax cameras, maybe look into buying a broken M series (talking ME/MG/MV here, not the later MZ*)body and scavenging the hot shoe.
You can get a working ME for $50 or so, so a broken one should be dirt cheap.
05-29-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
Look on the bright side.

Since the LX has interchangable viewfinders it's a simple job to replace it :P

But I can also understand the annoyance.

There may be the possibility of replacing the hot shoe alone. I don't recall how they are attached on the LX, but if screws are visible on top you may be able to simply remove the dented part (which looks to just be the outer hook bit) and replace it.

For the replacement part, I wouldn't be surprised if it was shared with other Pentax cameras, maybe look into buying a broken M series (talking ME/MG/MV here, not the later MZ*)body and scavenging the hot shoe.
You can get a working ME for $50 or so, so a broken one should be dirt cheap.
Wow I can't believe that didn't occur to me yet. Yeah, I doubt I'll even attempt a repair but rather just get another viewfinder or two (I'd like the waist-level on at some point). I just don't shoot flash enough to make it worth the time/effort/money.
05-29-2014, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Congratulations on getting an LX. It is the only camera - past or present and by any brand, that can aperture priority autoexpose for as long as it takes - or batteries die, while monitoring the scene in real time and adjusting accordingly. The finder can be replaced - and who doesn't have a variety of those! TTL flash is also quite competent especially since it doesn't need a preflash. I actually like the streamlined look of the FA2 finder that doesn't have a hotshoe. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the aperture window either if need it.

05-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ugh... after all this the seller is now stating that the only help they will offer is a full refund and to simply send the camera back to them so "we can either have it repaired or relist it with the damage noted"... I genuinely do not understand the logic of this, other than perhaps they're simply rolling the dice and hoping that relisting with the damage will still NET a profit after my return shipping and their relisting??? I'm getting really tired of the Bay and many of the sellers there... And this one would have appeared to be "stand-up" based on the feedback and cameras lenses they sell fairly regularly - not a huge volume, but a good amount - they appear to have a several online storefronts, ebay, amazon, some blog sites, etc.
05-31-2014, 08:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Is anyone privy to to how the LX sets aperture when in full auto mode? It's not something I can imagine really using ever, but I am curious since I do not see in the viewfinder a way to determine what aperture it's chosen. It doesn't seem to be that the widest aperture is chosen, as I get different results in shutter speed if I move to aperture priority mode. (I'm speaking having both the shutter in Automatic on the camera and the aperture ring set to A as well). I can obviously see the cameras shutter choice, but I dont' understand the aperture choice. Overall, using it this way seems to result in a shutter speed that is slower than I would have chosen manually, pretty much every time, so it must be based on the camera selecting a smaller aperture.
05-31-2014, 11:35 AM   #10
Pentaxian

The LX only has aperture priority autoexpose so it picks the shutter speed based on you manually setting the aperture as it cannot control the aperture. The internal linkage will stop the lens down to your selected aperture when the shutter is fired.

Last edited by LesDMess; 05-31-2014 at 11:43 AM.
05-31-2014, 01:16 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is a very thorough commentary on the Pentax LX. There are many section linked at the bottom of most of the pages. I've linked the interchangeable viewfinder discussion here. Since you don't use a flash much you might consider getting the FA-2 Finder which doesn't have a flash shoe at all.
05-31-2014, 03:58 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is anyone privy to to how the LX sets aperture when in full auto mode?... (I'm speaking having both the shutter in Automatic on the camera and the aperture ring set to A as well). ...
The LX was designed before the A series lenses came out, so the A setting on aperture is not functional. On the LX A lenses have no advantage over M lenses (without the A setting).
06-01-2014, 12:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks fellas - I did not realize it was pre-A-aperture. Not much of a consequence to me but good to know. So clearly it was setting shutter based on f/22 - now things make sense.
06-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks fellas - I did not realize it was pre-A-aperture. Not much of a consequence to me but good to know. So clearly it was setting shutter based on f/22 - now things make sense.
The user manual is our friend and highly advisable for a camera like the LX. Sorry, could not resist

Steve
06-01-2014, 05:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The user manual is our friend and highly advisable for a camera like the LX. Sorry, could not resist
Steve
Yeah, RTFM indeed. Particularly since I have it sitting here on my coffee table (and I've since read it)... it's rather basic I'd say - very succinct and not much detail to it.

But more than that, I just can't resist talkin with you fellas instead.