Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2014, 01:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Super Program - rusting from the inside?

hey folks,
So I have a silver Super Program and have started to really like it. However, I've started to notice that the finish is rusting from within the paint (I'm noticing specks of paints turning from silver to brown?)... Mechanically, this camera is sound.
I'm afraid that if I don't do something, within a few months, I'll have a brown camera...

Curious if any suggestions? Has anyone seen this happen to their SLRs before?

05-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is strange. I am curious to see the final outcome since I have long suspected that the top cover on my Super Program is painted plastic rather than metal.

Back to your problem...The top and bottom covers on cameras are generally made out of a non-corroding material. Some form of brass is common as is the generic "white metal" used in many diecast products. What I suspect is that the finish on your camera is flaking off the underlying metal or plastic. Is this happening where the straps rub against the body by any chance?

Steve
05-30-2014, 04:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I agree with Steve.

Most Pentaxes I've seen have had a brass base metal, which only ever goes yellowish.

Even other cameras I own are all similar stuff, my Praktica is some sort of brass like the Pentaxes, and the Zorki is some kind of non-corroding casting (either white metal as Steve suggested, or perhaps aluminium? I suspect probably some white metal by the weight)

If something else is rusting, and resting against the camera, then the rust may be staining the surface.
Is it in an everready case? maybe the fittings on the case are rusting?
05-31-2014, 10:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Probably best if I post an image. I'll take a few and report. Function of the camera is fine... guess I just want to know if I should be repainting it or something (which would be kind of a neat project!)

06-01-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is strange. I am curious to see the final outcome since I have long suspected that the top cover on my Super Program is painted plastic rather than metal.

Back to your problem...The top and bottom covers on cameras are generally made out of a non-corroding material. Some form of brass is common as is the generic "white metal" used in many diecast products. What I suspect is that the finish on your camera is flaking off the underlying metal or plastic. Is this happening where the straps rub against the body by any chance?

Steve
I get that suspicion too... It doesn't ever feel cold enough to be all metal, if that makes sense. (in the same cold room, the Super Program top plate never feels as cold as the Spotmatic, which I KNOW to be brass.) But I haven't had the guts to try sandpaper or anything drastic to see.

Anyway... I think that the flaking metal is the most likely cause.
06-01-2014, 10:18 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpartanD63 Quote
I get that suspicion too... It doesn't ever feel cold enough to be all metal, if that makes sense. (in the same cold room, the Super Program top plate never feels as cold as the Spotmatic, which I KNOW to be brass.)
My observations as well, that and the top cover details simply look like a plastic casting. The bottom plate, however, is metal.

Steve
06-01-2014, 08:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Photographs say it all.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
06-01-2014, 10:23 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
Photographs say it all.
I would say that your biggest problem is that your Super Program is actually a Program Plus

Beyond that, it looks like it has been exposed to a corrosive substance at some point that has compromised the finish. The screw head on the first photo looks like it had a patina at come point that is no longer there.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-01-2014 at 10:39 PM.
06-02-2014, 02:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LOL my bad. I was thinking Super Program but yes, it's a Program Plus.
06-02-2014, 05:20 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

LOL my bad. I was thinking Super Program but yes, it's a Program Plus.
I get them mixed up too and have more than once posted that I have a Program Plus rather than a Super Program.

Steve
06-02-2014, 10:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anyways, it looks like this will totally make my Pentax Super Program super retro with it's classy fading look?
06-03-2014, 07:08 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Anyways, it looks like this will totally make my Pentax Super Program super retro with it's classy fading look?
Special edition, Post-Apocalyptic Program Plus

Also available with "Zombie Gray" splotched leatherette.

Steve