Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2008, 09:52 AM   #16
Pentaxian

This is one Pentax I will never own, as I do not like digital displays.

Chris

05-12-2008, 06:36 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
This is one Pentax I will never own, as I do not like digital displays.

Chris
do you not like computers and cellphones too?
05-12-2008, 08:37 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Of course I hate cellphones - tiny displays, too many tiny buttons, for many useless features.
If they ever made a cellphone with a rotary dial I'd be the first one to buy it.

Chris
05-12-2008, 09:38 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Man, Chris's got a bloody good point. Even I think cellphone "design" is one of the most misguided ventures in the world.

Hell, I think that and I'm 22 - square in the middle of the cellphone demographic. Or I would be, were I not a fat bastard, mixed race, got more moles than the KGB, and in possession of a arrangement of teeth that are a direct result of a barfight with an orthodontist.

05-12-2008, 09:48 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the cellphone dilema is easily solved by purchasing the one that you like..
07-17-2008, 12:36 PM   #21

Photos: Gallery
I'm the original owner of a Super Program, I bought it from Beach Camera IIRC back in 1983 along with the KA 70-210 F4 Zoom and the 5fps Motordrive. (did a lot of auto racing and air shows) Little later I worked at a very busy SoCal Camera store, and got to borrow lenses to use and given to me. Still have the Vivitar Series 1 28-90 F2.8-4 with its matched Doubler. I have taken thousands of pictures with that camera up to just recently. I even got paid for some work in the 80's it doing some corporate report covers (Western Digital), Weddings, and a Racing Equipment show (Stand 21).

With it's age, the Foam for the Mirror has gone away, metering can be a bit iffy at times, and the MD does not work, again. But it can still take killer pictures. Have a K200D on order, it will never replace the Super Program fully, just suppliment it.

I just wish it wasn't so hard to find quality film and slide film, and good processing...local like in decades past.....
07-17-2008, 01:07 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I already have a Super A and one Super Program coming my way in the mail. I still haven't seen developed pictures from my Super A but I'll see some tomorrow. The body feels great, shutter sound is lovely, solid feel. Much better than my newer P series bodies.
07-17-2008, 03:29 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Had a test run w/ my SuperPROGRAM (bought from a fellow forum friend here ), a great little camera. Metering is spot on, very simple to use. Really love its classic look and feel. Post a full roll results here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/32150-1-roll-film-36x-imgs.html

I think I'm gonna use it alot more than I expected in the future

07-17-2008, 04:12 PM   #24
Site Supporter

While I can not speak directly of the Super Program, I have just started to use a ME Super after about 5 years of digital P&S and DSLRs. It is nice to shoot with an old lens as it was *intended* to be used. A 50mm is a normal lens, not a short tele and my 16mm Zenitar is really dang wide. I use film when I have the time to savor the act of photography. It's a whole different mindset when I've got only 24 or 36 bullets, not hundreds to waste in search of an acceptable shot.

I have a roll of Fuji Velvia 50 on the shelf just waiting for the right shooting opportunity. Patience is a virtue, and I'm gonna make that roll count.

Regards,

germar
08-06-2008, 10:55 AM   #25
Veteran Member

So basically you guys say this is the perfect camera for my two manual lenses?
Guess i just got to google what focusing screen it has.

Ahh, perfect: http://mcfaddenphoto.com/super-program.htm
08-06-2008, 11:22 AM   #26
Banned

I wouldn't say its the 'perfect' camera. in all honesty there isnt a great deal of difference between this and the ME super. you get P and Tv modes as well as TTL and P flash automation. you get a smaller viewfinder though. it has a split-image with micro prism collar.
08-06-2008, 12:27 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Split Prism + Micro Collar is what i refered to as perfect.
My Porst had a micro prism, the Praktica a split screen, the combination of both to me is perfect.
I may look in non-a cameras too though, couldn't get rid of my Elan7, so it taunts me to use it, but i think i'd rather get a pentax cam to go with the lenses than to adapt them to use on the elan7. As little as i get to shoot for fun, i'm not even sure why i think again of a film cam where the K20D sees so little just for fun use
08-06-2008, 02:20 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I think you got ONE of the perfect cameras, from the very peak of 35mm camera design... before electronics and plastics and autofocus completely took over. My Program Plus is just about my favorite manual body - and yours is a step above that.

There are other FLAOVORS of perfection however, so there's still room to dream and drool
08-09-2008, 12:20 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Well, you done it. I got a Super Program too. I am mostly interested in shooting the Nokton on film, but i'll give that Vivitar a fair chance too.
Glad i came across this thread at the right time.
08-09-2008, 01:05 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I've now had plenty of fun with my Super A and Super Program bodies. An ER case would be nice for both though and I need to buy some neck straps.