Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2014, 10:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Loving my new (to me) ZX50

Snagged one on eBay for $25, and I must say I'm liking it. I have an ME Super and an SF1. I will still use the ME Super for manual lenses, but wow... the ZX50 is better than the SF1 in virtually every way. It's tons lighter, it feels better in the hand, the controls are intuitive (where the SF1's are anti-intuitive), the AF is fast and accurate even in low light, and I'm just loving it.

I do have one question though... why doesn't it have any light seals? The only seal is on the window to view the film canister. There are otherwise no light seals on the back at all. (And no residue from old light seals either, so they're not deteriorated, they were just never there). Does the plastic back construction (instead of metal on the ME series) preclude the need for light seals?

Charles.

06-24-2014, 06:15 AM   #2

I have the mz-50 and it does not have any light seals. Didn't have any leaks. The zx/mz-50 is a great camera often overlooked. It's great if you have some da lenses because it can control aperture from the body. It's the perfect companion to the da35 f2.4 and the da40xs.

I went the opposite way from you. I went from mz-50 to sf1n. It's mainly for the lovely viewfinder of the sf1n which is good enough for manual focus. The sf1n also is chunkier and heavier, which balance we'll with heavier lenses. Oh, it's got the super cool af spot beam too.

For any other aspects, the mz-50 is the better camera. Much quieter too!
06-24-2014, 08:17 AM   #3

I also snagged a 50 not real long ago and love it. I hadn't shot anything other than digital P&S in years and decided I wanted a cheap film SLR just for gits and shiggles. I've now got a dedicated bag, five lenses, multiple filters and a ton of film waiting to be developed. The ones I do have printed are remarkable in their quality and clarity (certainly a case of the gear being better than the man).
All of this is the long way of saying that for what I paid, the ZX-50 has far exceeded my expectations and has thrown me headlong into the world of film photography.
I kinda like it here.
06-26-2014, 07:15 PM   #4

The mz-50 is a seriously underrated camera. The only drawback is it's crippled mount, which works much like modern Dslrs. If you can, get a mz-6. It's much better featured.

07-09-2014, 06:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't understand or really care about this "crippled mount" thing. From what i gather, it just means I can't use M lenses. Since I don't actually own any M lenses, I don't care. And if I did, I have an ME Super for that. No, I bought an AF film camera to use... you guessed it... AF lenses. Besides, without a split-prism focusing screen manual focus is largely impossible for me.

Charles.
07-09-2014, 06:18 AM   #6

It's good that you're clear with what you want out of the camera. You're right when you mentioned that the only lens you can't use with thre mz-50 are the mf m lenses. The body is optimized for af lenses. With that viewfinder, it's hard to use manual lenses anyway. There are better bodies for mf lenses

Oh, btw the mz-50 is fantastic with the da40xs
07-09-2014, 01:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Does the ZX-50/60 have the dreaded plastic mirror motor gear?
07-09-2014, 06:09 PM   #8

Yes they do. Mine just died on me