Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just a few film shots

I thought I share them .

I Shall Protect You :

General Store

Old Russian River

The Perfect View

Note : 1 ( Pz-1P ) , 2 ( ZX-& ) , 3 ( K1000 ) , 4 ( 645N )

Thanks for viewing .

Tran

05-27-2008, 11:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A few more .

Not Your Yellow Brick Road (645N , FA75/2.8 , Pro 400H ) :

Lost Word ( PZ-1P Tamron 572D Kodak GT 800 ) :

By the water ( ZX-7 , Fuji Superia )

Tran
05-28-2008, 02:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

They all have a very vintage look. Nice going.

Although the "Post your photos" forum would have been better suited for this thread.
05-28-2008, 04:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I especially like the imperfect crop of the scan in the first image. It is nice to see I'm not the only one who misses that little detail sometimes.

While the "Post your photos" forum is probably the more technically correct area of the site to post all photos, I find that it tends to be a very small self-selected subset of Pentax Forums members who even bother to look in this section at all. It's like a little side room we have all to ourselves almost. Film photos are probably of more particular interest to us than to the general population, which runs very heavily to digital users. So perhaps posting photos here ensures a higher chance that they will be seen by those of us with our shared interest in film photography.

05-28-2008, 09:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice shots...I find "Old Russian River" particularly interesting. Is this the Russian River in northern California? I have always wanted to get up that way, but never quite made it. I have seen the Central Coast, the High Sierra, LA, and Frisco, but not the North Coast or the northern inland environs (such as Siskiyou county) and eastward toward Alturas...interesting weather extremes out that way.
05-28-2008, 12:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I really like : Not Your Yellow Brick Road and By the water. Good to see some film shots.

Does the Old Russian River look good in print ?

I think that this PentaxForum site will more and more be the place where people post their shots. DPr is moving so fast, and if some bigger discussions are going on, images posted can easily get lost. Now when I wanna see some shots to get inspired, I can easily find the correct place.
05-29-2008, 12:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Dan : You're right . All the film used here are chosen for their "grainy" as to convey that vintage look . I went through quite a number of old photo books to train my eyes on it .

Mike : Good eyes as always , although I missed it on purpose ! There was some construction materials on the left side that I did not want in. However I wanted to include a vast amount of the road surface! With the FA75mm (50 mm in 35 format), only so much I can do. Funny though , when I started photography , everything has to be sharp , in the frame . For some reason now I do like some blur or even cutoff image once in a while !

And yes I posted the photos here for the very reason you stated ! You must like lots of rice like me for us to have the same thoughts .

zx-m : Yes . It's the same river . Was named so due to the fact that some Russian fur trade being there in the early days . It's way out there . I had come back a few times because of the fog . Here one image in a lucky clear sunny day

If you go up North here , on the weekdays , roughly 15 miles off the US 101 on the left , you can have the whole world to yourself !

Jonson PL : I don't know , yet . My local camera shop does have some bulk print discount so I save up and do a whole bunch of images larger than 8x10 all at once . Cost a little more than online shop but it does a wonderful job for networking .

Thanks all for your nice words .

Some info

#1 : This is a giant fan . Some 15-foot-plus for battle again the early spring frost . They can move a massive amount of warm air to the grapes . Other option is spraying water .

#2 The same store has been around for decades . You can find baby stuffs along with world class wines though the locals won't buy there . Mostly tourists .

#3 Russian River . Right on the mouth . Windy , cold , dark , foggy . Perfect for tough K10D

#4 Just a little spot middle of nowhere near the lake . 30 minute-hike !

Yellow : The entrance of the new winery build from ground up : A castle cost 36 M US . So authentic that the building is dang cold just like the middle age .

Lost Word : in the antique district , Northern CA .

By the water : Middle of nowhere again . Only 5 mile away from the road but you're in a different world .

05-29-2008, 07:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Wow, the sunny day shot is just lovely. I must get to the North Coast somehow. The cost of travel and the police state of the airlines holds me back.
05-30-2008, 10:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
zx-m :

Thanks . It's expensive to go anywhere now ! I try to combine all the errands into one trip as much as possible . Though I still enjoy driving in the back roads . It's good for the soul and heart . I have a small car so that helps . Life is expensive no matter which way you look at it !

I see you listed Fuji 160C . Got some shots of it ?? Just curious .
05-30-2008, 10:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Dan,

I appreciate your comments. Yes, I have shot quite a few rolls of 160C, but, no, I do not have any shots I can post. I have neither a digital camera nor a scanner. I just have not observed any superiority in digital, and I have no desire to ride the digital money train of obsolesence, either. I would rather "recycle" a well-made Pentax MF body

With regard to the 160C, it is perhaps the best color film I have shot. It is very vivid and detailed, especially outdoors.

Regards,
Glen
06-01-2008, 07:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I agree with Mike. The film community is rather small here. I would post them here....

Looking at the variety of images you posted, brought me joy in viewing them and also gave my some ideas. The PP work is excellent and the film grain does give them that ''look'' that digital just can't do....

The not your yellow brick road and the general store are my favs for sure. On the last image, the vignetting adds to the image as well. In fact, I have started to leave the vigneting on my film images as well. (when I use my 28mm lens)..

Great job and look forward to seeing more. I am almost done with two more rolls, so I will post when I am done.
06-02-2008, 11:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Glen :

Thanks . I do both digital and film . Each has it own perks .My 35mm was scan at high resolution at a local drug store . I went in and talk to an old timer there so it helped . Only 2 locations in 60 mile radius doing that ! Cheap , too .

120 format is the costly one but that's an advantage as I look at it . I took time for each image so the keeper rate is quite high , though it could take me months to finish up a roll of 120 film . I'm thinking of getting a scanner . Epson V500 is the one I prefer .
You might want to try getting your film scanned . Sharing is another joy in life .

Thanks for the info in Fuji 160C . I will look around for it . I still have a bunch of film to go through . Thanks for your kind words .

Javier : Thanks man . PP works in my photos are very quick . I'm sucks at PP so I took time to shoot . Nothing kills your pleasure in photography faster than shooting like a machine gun and go home viewing hundreds of images . Unless you get paid , I guess .

Looking forward to view your images . I do enjoy your K1000 works .

Few more :

Fountain of Youth ( 645N , 75/2.8 , Kodak 160VC ) .

Taken in front of a winery . After a few "shots" of wine , one plus ounce pouring , you will feel young again and your wallet will , ahem , be lighter :

I put the DA*50-135 on PZ-1P to test it out ! Kodak BW400CN . It's middle of nowhere in the wood :

Tran