Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-17-2014, 05:39 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Making Mt. Hood disappear tops levitating The Pentagon any day.

Chris

07-18-2014, 08:49 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Making Mt. Hood disappear tops levitating The Pentagon any day.

Chris
Speaking of disappearing mountains...

I grew up in Seattle and the theory back-in-the-day was that Mt. Rainier was on some sort of movable trolley. When in the city, it was often visible except for a mantle of clouds at the base and it always looked SO CLOSE!! When you took the drive up to the national park, the chances of actually seeing the mountain were only so-so. It was thought that on most days the trolley would move the mountain closer for easier viewing by all the city folk and per contract with the Seattle Chamber of Commerce. On peak summer weekends or when maintenance was needed, the trolley would move the mountain back to the park. This worked well for the lodge concessions at the park since the bored tourists, not seeing the mountain, would inevitably find their way inside for food, coffee, or souvenirs.

Steve
08-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I am lucky then -- I live in the county of ESSEX in England and there are NO mountains at all around here !! PS - Find camera meter is NOT correct when using RED filter -- it gives under-exposure -- OK with Yellow though.
08-16-2014, 06:22 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Where's the Party?

Here in St. Louis we don't have rain. The atmospheric moisture just collects in the air and hangs there. This phenomenon is most common when the temperature rises above 90° F. Photographic prints here look as if shot through a shower curtain. I have yet to find a filter that will correct for this condition. So July 1st we all go to Michigan and return September 1st.

When I was a teenager my parents had a cocktail party on a Friday evening. We all got up early Saturday and drove to their summer home on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan. Mom and Dad got out of the car and went straight to the painted wicker couches on the screened porch and didn't move until 7pm, leaving the job of unloading to my brother and me (to this day I don't believe my father ever actually went to bed that Friday night). Then they went to a cocktail party at the nearby summer home of one of their St. Louis friends. Many of the people there had been at my parents' party the previous evening.

If we ever had a mountain here it must have melted several eons ago.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-16-2014 at 11:30 AM.
08-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #20
Pentaxian

aahhh yeah big part of my childhood those cocktail parties...
men with thin black ties, with high ball glasses and cigarettes in their hands
08-16-2014, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
aahhh yeah big part of my childhood those cocktail parties...
men with thin black ties, with high ball glasses and cigarettes in their hands
Ladies in sleeveless black dresses with pearls and flats. No superfluous adornments. I know the ladies drank but I never saw them holding one.

VaCa wear was just as rigid but a bit less formal. Khaki-colored slacks and a LaCoste shirt for men - floral print dress and Pappagallo flats for ladies. Lots of tanned limbs.
08-17-2014, 01:41 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxpete Quote
I am lucky then -- I live in the county of ESSEX in England and there are NO mountains at all around here !! PS - Find camera meter is NOT correct when using RED filter -- it gives under-exposure -- OK with Yellow though.
Ah yes. Merry Olde England. I have many fond memories of my time in England. I have never met a more receptive, hospitable and warm people anywhere. I didn't believe I would like warm beer, but give me a pint of bitters (Guinness) any day of the week over a bottle of ice cold Bud Light. Anyway, I have to disagree with your observations regarding the use of a red filter causing a pic to appear over exposed. I wonder if you used the correct red filter. I used a Hoya HMC 25/A Red Filter on my roll of Ilford HP5 B+W film, and I know the filter truly enhanced every one of my exposures. Also I totally relied on the Nikon N8008s' light meter utilizing the Matrix Metering System. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Tony