Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2014, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is one of the nicest TLRs ever made. Cool camera.
Steve
Yes, it is :-)

10-06-2014, 02:34 PM   #152
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaHo Quote
" Why do you still do film?" Well, one reason is all the different formats and cameras out there. The whole spectrum is much wider than what digital has to offer: sub-miniture to medium format, large format and plate cameras, and so many types: box, folder, range finder, SLR, TLR, view camera, toy camera ...
Recently I have been shooting with a Mamiya TLR from 1969 or thereabouts:

The Church of Our Lady, Copenhagen, Denmark with the famous "Christus" scultupe by Bertel Thorvaldsen vaguely seen in the unsharp background.

Camera: Mamiya C330 Professional
Lens: 135mm F4.5
Exposure: 1/60 @ F4.5
Film: Kodak Tri-X 400 iso dev. in ID-11 1:3
Light meter: Gossen Profisix
Great shot!

Phil.
10-07-2014, 04:07 AM   #153
IHS

^^^Sure is...I'd love to see more of that place. Thanks for sharing.
10-07-2014, 04:47 AM   #154
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IHS Quote
^^^Sure is...I'd love to see more of that place. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks, well, here's one more from the Mamiya:

Lens: 135mm F4.5
Exposure: 1/60 @ F4.5
Film: Kodak Tri-X 400 iso dev. in ID-11 1:3
Light meter: Gossen Profisix

... and one from the Pentax 645N from another visit in poorer light:

Lens: smc Pentax-A 645 75mm F2.8
Exposure: 1/20 @F4.5 (handheld with support)
Film: HP5+ dev. in ID-11

The Church of Our Lady (Danish: Vor Frue Kirke) is the cathedral of Copenhagen and the National Cathedral of Denmark.
Bertel Thorvaldsen was commissioned to decorate the interior with statues of Christ and the apostles.

10-07-2014, 06:09 AM   #155
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The Church of Our Lady (Danish: Vor Frue Kirke) is the cathedral of Copenhagen and the National Cathedral of Denmark.
Bertel Thorvaldsen was commissioned to decorate the interior with statues of Christ and the apostles.

At first I thought this was a "newer" church until I read more about its history. Thanks for posting these images as I enjoy these old churches.
10-07-2014, 08:50 AM   #156
Pentaxian

Well, it isn't that old. Construction started in 1817, and the work was completed in 1829.
The British destroyed the old one and laid most of Copenhagen in ruins during the seige in 1807. The British also used Congreve Rockets, and over a thousand buildings were burned. They used the spire of the old Vor Frue Kirke as an aiming point. The British bombardment of Copenhagen killed some 195 civilians and injured 768 - and is one of the first examples of military forces using bombarment against a civilian population in what we today would define as a war crime.

Last edited by LaHo; 10-07-2014 at 08:55 AM.
10-07-2014, 09:00 AM   #157
Pentaxian

As to old churches - this one is fairly old: Urnes Stave Church:

Urnes stave church at Ornes in Sogn, Norway. Built AD 1100-50. Considered to be the oldest remaining stave church in Norway.
The north portal - the wood carvings vaguely seen in the wall behind the white headstones - belonged to an older church that stood on the same spot and believed to be from around AD 1050. These carvings belong to a certain style that is internationally know as "the Urnes style".
Lens: Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR/6x7 1:4.5 75mm. Camera: Pentax 6x7 MLU. March 2011.
1/500 @ F6.7. Film: Ilford HP-5 Plus in ID-11.

Last edited by LaHo; 10-07-2014 at 09:40 AM.
10-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #158
Pentaxian

... first examples of military forces using bombarment against a civilian population in what we today would define as a war crime.
Today some call it collateral damage instead of war crimes.
10-07-2014, 09:38 AM   #159
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Today some call it collateral damage instead of war crimes.
Yes, sadly you are quite right. :-(
10-07-2014, 10:18 AM   #160
Pentaxian

Well, it isn't that old. Construction started in 1817, and the work was completed in 1829.
The British destroyed the old one and laid most of Copenhagen in ruins during the seige in 1807. The British also used Congreve Rockets, and over a thousand buildings were burned. They used the spire of the old Vor Frue Kirke as an aiming point. The British bombardment of Copenhagen killed some 195 civilians and injured 768 - and is one of the first examples of military forces using bombarment against a civilian population in what we today would define as a war crime.
I was going by the info at Copenhagen's Cathedral - Church of our Lady - Copenhagen Portal - Copenhagen Tourism< which states since 1209? However, it has been rebuilt a few times which is likely the reason for it looking newer. BTW, I defer to your firsthand knowledge!

Last edited by LesDMess; 10-07-2014 at 10:29 AM.
10-07-2014, 01:14 PM   #161

Let's see, one of the reasons was that I am an amateur and was getting too lazy with my DSLR: autofocus, auto-aperture, auto this, auto that. I wasn't really learning enough.
Secondly I am more interested in B&W photography (due to my colour condition: not fully colour blind) and film still seems to be the best product to produce them without all the post-processing.
With all the post-processing nowadays and instragram, I'm not sure if I still dare to call myself a (amateur) photographer or a photoshopper (or just a photoshopographer).
And being nostalgic helps as well: all the old sounds of popping a film can, click open the camera, wind the film, crank and "click".
10-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #162
IHS

Wow...LaHo...Thanks so much. That's an amazing cathedral. I'd love to hear that pipe organ! Excellent shots from all those cameras...I hope to own a 6x7 some day. (and visit Copenhagen)

Last edited by IHS; 10-07-2014 at 03:31 PM.
10-08-2014, 04:18 AM   #163

QuoteOriginally posted by IHS Quote
Wow...LaHo...Thanks so much. That's an amazing cathedral. I'd love to hear that pipe organ! Excellent shots from all those cameras...I hope to own a 6x7 some day. (and visit Copenhagen)
I just bought a used Pentax 67 system with 5 lenses 2x converter and extension tubes. I'm just starting to shoot with it and it is awesome. A camera like this just feels "real." I'll shoot mostly black and white since I develop that myself. I just enjoy the process of photography in the old school method.
10-15-2014, 09:01 PM   #164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've expended a fair bit of time trying to figure out a method to post-process my digital photos and make them look more like film -- especially more like Ektar 100, because I love those colors. I got the DxO FilmPack 4, which can do some interesting things and can make some of my photos look better, but. . . It's still not the same. When I got the last set of film scans back, they looked wonderful. I didn't have to do anything to them. And I sort of scratched my chin and said, you know, Ektar 100 isn't that expensive. Processing isn't going to break me either.

I do find that 35mm film is effectively limited to about 6 MP scans. I can get higher resolution scans done, but they rarely reveal much more actual image detail. Hey, that's what medium format is for! I already have a very well-preserved Ricoh Diacord G here, and the photos from it are beautiful when I do my part, but it's rather tedious to use. So, I'm going for a Fuji GA645 next.
10-15-2014, 09:18 PM - 1 Like   #165
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why do you still do film?

Why?

Several of my cameras just do not work without film.