Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2014, 04:55 PM   #226
IHS

It was like Pearl Harbor that day They were coming in from everywhere and of course they're silent so it's just very difficult stuff for me to shoot. I like the challenge though. Here's a little better one because it was obviously much slower and predictable. The AF stayed right where it should have on his eye even through the feather blur.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
12-05-2014, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #227
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IHS Quote
It was like Pearl Harbor that day They were coming in from everywhere and of course they're silent so it's just very difficult stuff for me to shoot. I like the challenge though. Here's a little better one because it was obviously much slower and predictable. The AF stayed right where it should have on his eye even through the feather blur.
Cool!

I have started a new thread in the challenges/themed section of this site. No AF photos allowed, only difficult (impossible) manual focus images for that space.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/28...cant-done.html

I have a few that fall into that category and will be posting them, but I don't generally work in the space of things that move anymore.

Steve
12-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #228
IHS

Sounds fun...I'm used to only shooting still stuff w/MF so this will take me out of my comfort zone.
12-06-2014, 12:21 AM   #229
Veteran Member

For me film is only done one place.....In water with lots of spray.....or...Under water !
I went to Florida and found out about Manatees. Fell in love with them.
I bought some Canon red and white sureshot underwater film camera and had a blast !
Only paid 20 bucks for it at a thrift store and it is worth every cent I paid.
When I cant risk a DSLR......its film.

12-08-2014, 06:06 AM   #230
Inactive Account

Shooting films

After Shooting Kodachrome C41 films and Black and white, I shoot now exclusively B and W whith my MZ5N, LX and MX bodys. I shoot in medium format too whith 2 Rolleiflex a Bronica and 4*5 whith a Speed graphic. I use my K3 mainly for "souvenirs" and familly pictures. I like making photos on silver papers in my darkroom.
12-09-2014, 11:25 PM   #231
Closed Account

I haven't been around here for awhile and was looking at which thread made most sense to me . . . it is this question of why using film still.

It is very simple for me: I use film because it is the only practical way to do what I love to do most in photography: to print on traditional fiber paper.
12-10-2014, 01:33 AM - 1 Like   #232
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why use film?
Because it is a proven, archivally stable medium that lasts. It is also indisputable proof of time and moment in its solid form. A digital algorithm extrapolated into a readable image is not a photograph.
I sell quite a few images printed of Pentax 67-exposed RVP50, but hardly anything is made at all on digital. It's probably only good for snaps of stuff going up on eBay.

12-10-2014, 08:03 AM   #233

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alan_smithee_photos Quote
This is a big one for me. It looks better with little or no tweaking (aside from cropping, etc.). I like both these photos but, to my eye, the film one on the right wins it (K1000, Lomo 800):
the right one definitely wins!
12-10-2014, 08:58 PM   #234

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I still keep film as backup of my digital Pentax body and to really get wide with a 18-35mm FAj zoom lens.
12-14-2014, 03:31 PM   #235
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by IHS Quote

Cuthbert...That's a fine shot of a condors BUTT. If you'd been using an AF camera, you probably would have had 5 or 6 more shots of that same flight. (maybe even one of it's head?) In any case, the shot you posted would probably have been one of the worst and wound up on the cutting room floor. Kudos on freezing the feathers though...
Found out another "impossible" pic...this time is a vulture, no BUTT, but with open beak incorporated, a pity it was very far away and I had a 50 mm lens.

Pretty sure you'll find out something else to criticise the pic and point out that with AF it would have been much, much better.
12-14-2014, 05:42 PM   #236
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
AE, AF and now today's digital wondercams - have given us a "run and gun" mentality.
Photographers no longer need develop the skill to anticipate the decisive moment.

What's next? Perhaps we should all shoot continuous HD video and just grab the best frames.
Surely someone must be developing an app that will do that editing for us, too...
I saw a UK photo magazine article on how to succeed with 'street' photography. The guy giving advice basically said he noticed the windows on a building were in particular arrangement and waited for the 'right' group of people to walk past. 300 shots later he had a mediocre shot I wouldn't have wasted one frame of film on.
12-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #237
IHS

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Found out another "impossible" pic...this time is a vulture, no BUTT, but with open beak incorporated, a pity it was very far away and I had a 50 mm lens.

Pretty sure you'll find out something else to criticise the pic and point out that with AF it would have been much, much better.
Still on about that? Humble apologies...but you did jump on that hate wagon. Let it go...It's Christmas!