Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2014, 07:55 AM   #61
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Why does my DVD player have a drawer open button on the remote control?
I have wondered the same thing

Steve

07-25-2014, 10:41 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Original Poster
"This makes me feel like an artist, craftsman, alchemist, and magician." <---- very apt... i hope to start the printing thing at some point soon... haven't done it since high school.
07-25-2014, 11:18 AM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k0og Quote
Film is old... I'm old... I can relate to it
Ouch!

---------- Post added 07-25-14 at 12:16 PM ----------

Film vs Pentax DSLR

Film (good not cheap):
Feel of the brass, steel, leather, and glass
Simplicity of controls (ap, speed, focus, self timer, stop down lever only)
Size of image in VF
Easier to hit focus (related to image size)
easily changeable focus screens
Great lenses, especially wide lenses and fast lenses ( I have many)
Rugged
can fit Zeiss Super Ikonta 645 medium format in my pocket

wait to find mistakes after developing and printing
difficult to reshoot images after mistakes found (travel, parties, portraits)
very low throughput rate for enlarger
slow developing. 30 minutes per roll including setup time using daylight tanks. I do two at a time.
uneven results from labs
9000 negative scanning backlog
cost of film and developing
carrying 20 rolls of film
TSA film canister inspection
film loading in the field
expensive per image

Pentax DSLR:
cheap image cost
great zoom lenses
instant review
Easy HDR
exposure bracketing
instant image review and correction
small camera and lens size
very small media size
can backup media away from home
AF for fast moving action
AF is quicker than MF most of the time
no darkroom!!!!!!
no negative scanning

Purple fringing on some old lenses
small VF
not as rugged as pro level film cameras
poor choice of wide lenses an fast lenses

The winner on points - Pentax DSLRs!
With special respect to:
1) Instant image review and correction
2) Cheap per image cost
07-25-2014, 04:54 PM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Seriously, because I like to keep and use old tools in general - they seem to have an unlimited lifetime - whenever I can still do a job with them. Mechanical cameras fit into that 'like.' So if I have the cameras, I want to use them, thus I still shoot film.

Actually seeing the finished prints is often a secondary objective. The real objective is the using part - the sound, feel and process of exposing a frame with a mechanical camera is what I like.

07-25-2014, 09:56 PM   #65
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
wait to find mistakes after developing and printing
Mistakes? Who makes mistakes?

Steve

(...printing? What is printing?...)

---------- Post added 07-25-14 at 09:58 PM ----------

uneven results from labs
Labs? Who uses labs?

Seriously though, find a good lab and stay with it. I have not had an inconsistent roll of C41 since I started using Blue Moon and/or Citizen in Portland.

Steve
07-26-2014, 06:05 AM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, all those film are either not really disadvantages, have an easy workaround or are just plain wrong.

Chris
07-26-2014, 08:09 AM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes I admit it. I make mistakes.

I can recall one about twenty years ago. My five yo son was playing with flowers at a scenic overlook of the Snake River in Idaho. Back at home I got the film developed and printed and found I did not like the composition. I wanted to drive the thousand miles back to that spot and reshoot, but my wife said NO! I should have tried chimping.

As for printing, I found it easier to have print made from the negatives and slides rather than squinting at them thru a magnifying glass. It is really tough to pass them around at a party that way.

A couple of years ago I had two pro labs nearby. One was five minutes away and one twenty. Now there are none. I must settle for Costco or Walgreens. The staff at both told me to expect that they may shut down "soon". I have no place for my 120. I live in the small town of Los Angeles, "The Film Capital of the World". Almost all of the nearby camera stores are gone, no camera store film counters. I think I am going to go cry now.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Mistakes? Who makes mistakes?

Steve

(...printing? What is printing?...)

---------- Post added 07-25-14 at 09:58 PM ----------

dl

Labs? Who uses labs?

Seriously though, find a good lab and stay with it. I have not had an inconsistent roll of C41 since I started using Blue Moon and/or Citizen in Portland.

Steve

07-26-2014, 09:10 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes I admit it. I make mistakes.

I can recall one about twenty years ago. My five yo son was playing with flowers at a scenic overlook of the Snake River in Idaho. Back at home I got the film developed and printed and found I did not like the composition. I wanted to drive the thousand miles back to that spot and reshoot, but my wife said NO! I should have tried chimping.

As for printing, I found it easier to have print made from the negatives and slides rather than squinting at them thru a magnifying glass. It is really tough to pass them around at a party that way.

A couple of years ago I had two pro labs nearby. One was five minutes away and one twenty. Now there are none. I must settle for Costco or Walgreens. The staff at both told me to expect that they may shut down "soon". I have no place for my 120. I live in the small town of Los Angeles, "The Film Capital of the World". Almost all of the nearby camera stores are gone, no camera store film counters. I think I am going to go cry now.
On the topic of not having local places to develop, I do it at home and I follow this simple rule for c-41:

- for every 20 rolls of film I buy, I also purchase a tetenal press kit and sit it on the shelf.... the powder will last forever

(i figure b&w will be around after I am dead so don't stock up on those supplies)
07-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote
On the topic of not having local places to develop, I do it at home and I follow this simple rule for c-41:

- for every 20 rolls of film I buy, I also purchase a tetenal press kit and sit it on the shelf.... the powder will last forever

(i figure b&w will be around after I am dead so don't stock up on those supplies)
I've got 200-300 rolls of good c-41 35mm, 50 rolls of B&W 35mm, 30 rolls of 35mm slides, and 50 assorted rolls of 120 in the fridge and freezer. I need to do something. I have a huge side by side fridge in the garage that only has film and mercury batteries in it. The batteries are sealed in two layers of Tupperware.

I am so conflicted as to what to do. Should I shoot it? Give it away? If I did not have a 9000 image backlog waiting to be scanned I might not be so conflicted.

How much is this kit? How many rolls will it do? How hard is it to learn? How precise must the times and temps be? Is it harder than B&W?

If I could process the C41 quickly and cheaply, I would be all over that film.
07-26-2014, 10:23 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've got 200-300 rolls of good c-41 35mm, 50 rolls of B&W 35mm, 30 rolls of 35mm slides, and 50 assorted rolls of 120 in the fridge and freezer. I need to do something. I have a huge side by side fridge in the garage that only has film and mercury batteries in it. The batteries are sealed in two layers of Tupperware.

I am so conflicted as to what to do. Should I shoot it? Give it away? If I did not have a 9000 image backlog waiting to be scanned I might not be so conflicted.

How much is this kit? How many rolls will it do? How hard is it to learn? How precise must the times and temps be? Is it harder than B&W?

If I could process the C41 quickly and cheaply, I would be all over that film.
i think i will do a new post on the topic of home dev c-41in the developing forum. As for scanning your backlog, the pakon 135 gives noritsu/lab quality scans at 6mp in about 3 mins a roll.... won't do your 120 though: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/107-film-processing-scanning-darkroom/245...ilm-pakon.html

And yes absolutely give it all away... PM me for my address

Last edited by Jamey777; 07-26-2014 at 10:25 AM. Reason: humor
07-26-2014, 11:49 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here you are IMD... some encouragement for you: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/107-film-processing-scanning-darkroom/268...eveloping.html
07-26-2014, 01:25 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote
i think i will do a new post on the topic of home dev c-41in the developing forum. As for scanning your backlog, the pakon 135 gives noritsu/lab quality scans at 6mp in about 3 mins a roll.... won't do your 120 though: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/107-film-processing-scanning-darkroom/245...ilm-pakon.html

And yes absolutely give it all away... PM me for my address
That post would be helpful. Thank you.

As for giving the several hundred rolls away, I' ll keep you in mind. However don't hold your breath.
07-26-2014, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have no place for my 120. I live in the small town of Los Angeles, "The Film Capital of the World". Almost all of the nearby camera stores are gone, no camera store film counters. I think I am going to go cry now.
No NFL team in LA either, best move to Seattle. They have a good team and lots of places that process film.

Phil.
07-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Years ago I processed a few rolls of E-6 myself at home to meet a college deadline.
IIRC it was the Unicolor kit, which was simpler than the Kodak. It all came out fine.
The extra steps and higher than ambient temperature control required were a PITA.

For the occasional roll of color film I shoot now I'm happy there are still some good mail order labs...

Chris
07-26-2014, 04:38 PM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
No NFL team in LA either, best move to Seattle. They have a good team and lots of places that process film.

Phil.
Don't count on that condition existing forever. Stan Kroenke (Walmart husband), owner of the St. Louis Rams, is President of the LA Coliseum Commission, just bought 76 or so acres of prime LA land and has not signed a new lease on the indoor stadium here (he wants a $700,000,000 'improvement' to be made by the local taxpayers and we don't seem to be jumping up and down waving dollars at him).

Film at 10.