Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2014, 04:52 PM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Don't count on that condition existing forever. Stan Kroenke (Walmart husband), owner of the St. Louis Rams, is President of the LA Coliseum Commission, just bought 76 or so acres of prime LA land and has not signed a new lease on the indoor stadium here (he wants a $700,000,000 'improvement' to be made by the local taxpayers and we don't seem to be jumping up and down waving dollars at him).

Film at 10.
Or maybe even the Bills, they may either go to Toronto or LA. It would make more sense if it were the Rams, so the same franchise is just moving back.

Phil.

07-26-2014, 04:59 PM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Or maybe even the Bills, they may either go to Toronto or LA. It would make more sense if it were the Rams, so the same franchise is just moving back.

Phil.
Of course - now that they're finally going to be decent again. Stories around here are we're getting another team though and the land is set aside for the stadium.

When the Cardinals left and I no longer had something to do on Sunday afternoons in the fall I discovered how much time I had wasted (not to mention what my father and I had spent on season tickets all those years) so I only care peripherally. St. Louis is just withering away to dust. Losing the Rams will just be one more 'departure,' just another corporate headquarters moved to a better economic region.
07-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Of course - now that they're finally going to be decent again. Stories around here are we're getting another team though and the land is set aside for the stadium.

When the Cardinals left and I no longer had something to do on Sunday afternoons in the fall I discovered how much time I had wasted (not to mention what my father and I had spent on season tickets all those years) so I only care peripherally. St. Louis is just withering away to dust. Losing the Rams will just be one more 'departure,' just another corporate headquarters moved to a better economic region.
St. Louis should have a NFL team, more than Phoenix.

So we’ll move the Rams back to LA, then the Cardinals back to St. Louis, then the Colts back to Baltimore, then Phoenix or Indy can fight over the Ravens.

But wait the Cardinals were originally from Chicago and the Rams from Cleveland….

Phil.
07-26-2014, 05:42 PM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, there's an 'expansion' team in Jacksonville . . . . . . .

07-26-2014, 07:27 PM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
No NFL team in LA either, best move to Seattle. They have a good team and lots of places that process film.

Phil.
This is scary. You exactly quoted my mother.

I go to Dodger and Angel games. I used to go to Laker games. Did you know we have an NBA team here? Two actually.

We gave up UCLA football season tickets about five years ago after 14, 15, or 16 years. (I forget exactly how many). The last ten or so years, I only cared about watching the song girls and the marching band. Besides I got tired of hearing "Strike Up the Band". Well the first hundred times was ok.

I have a brother in Kingston, Kitsap. Seattle is nice. I have another brother in Olympia, less than a mile from the Capitol. Olympia seems like a town for laid back college students.

Seriously, I miss having good, close labs.
07-26-2014, 11:32 PM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
Yes I admit it. I make mistakes.
Yep.

Steve
07-28-2014, 03:33 PM   #82

Yes I admit it. I make mistakes.

I can recall one about twenty years ago. My five yo son was playing with flowers at a scenic overlook of the Snake River in Idaho. Back at home I got the film developed and printed and found I did not like the composition. I wanted to drive the thousand miles back to that spot and reshoot, but my wife said NO! I should have tried chimping.

As for printing, I found it easier to have print made from the negatives and slides rather than squinting at them thru a magnifying glass. It is really tough to pass them around at a party that way.

A couple of years ago I had two pro labs nearby. One was five minutes away and one twenty. Now there are none. I must settle for Costco or Walgreens. The staff at both told me to expect that they may shut down "soon". I have no place for my 120. I live in the small town of Los Angeles, "The Film Capital of the World". Almost all of the nearby camera stores are gone, no camera store film counters. I think I am going to go cry now.
There's the ICON on Wilshire. 9 bucks just to develop E6 and nothing else but its worth it and they do great work. I've used them for B+W. Cant beat Costco for C41. I just rescan afterwards
07-28-2014, 04:48 PM   #83

I still shoot film because I enjoy it and using the equipment. I now mostly only use digital when I need an electronic file quickly for for work.

I prefer film because I can't be bothered to follow 'IT best practice' when backing up my digital files and know I'm likely to lose some, having the negatives/transparencies gives me peace of mind.

I like the quirks of film, the limited exposures/frame rates, shooting the last few shots to finish the roll, gambling on whether I'm going to get 37, 38 or maybe 39 exposures from the roll, the challenge of loading & working with a completely unsuitable roll loaded the previous day in different conditions...

John.

07-29-2014, 06:39 AM   #84

I shoot both film and digital, and what I really like about the old cameras is that they are so cheap and that you can get them for almost nothing. Makes a great difference to walk around with 1000 equipment or with and used MZ-5n and M-lenses: I care more about the picture than about the camera! And it's a very different kind of image that Kodak Ektar gives you compared to digital.
07-31-2014, 09:39 AM   #85
Pentaxian

Tonight I think I will be up in the darkroom developing 6 sheets of 4X5 IR film from last week, a roll of B&W that my wife left in her Hasselblad so do not know what or when she shoot it plus 6 sheets of old film that may or may not be any good but was in some of the film holders I bought two nights ago. I will have a podcast playing and sit there developing film, listening to the podcast and thinking about whatever enters my mind. It will be pleasureable and relaxing and hopefully rewarding but for 2/3 of what I will be doing it is not even my work so how could I be disapointed?

Developer and fix seems to wash off the hands what little gets on them in tank develoing. We also started shotting Washi a paper based film and will see how that works out. It is great way of experimenting plus any "mistakes" are simply experiments that did not work out, such as fix before developer
08-02-2014, 01:47 PM   #86

A couple of years ago I had two pro labs nearby. One was five minutes away and one twenty. Now there are none. I must settle for Costco or Walgreens. The staff at both told me to expect that they may shut down "soon". I have no place for my 120. I live in the small town of Los Angeles, "The Film Capital of the World". Almost all of the nearby camera stores are gone, no camera store film counters. I think I am going to go cry now.
This is unbelievable!! How can you have no labs in LA? Even here in Hamilton (45 min from Toronto) I have 3 to choose from. If I lived in Downtown T.O. I suspect that would be a half dozen easy.
08-02-2014, 01:58 PM - 2 Likes   #87
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dropped 3 rolls of 120 Porta 160 at the lab this afternoon and picked up a couple gallons of distilled water. I got fresh HC-110 and Kodafix from Freestyle on Thursday so in a little while I'll be processing a dozen sheets of HP5 4x5 that have been patiently waiting for me.

Last edited by Venturi; 08-02-2014 at 07:16 PM.
08-03-2014, 12:27 AM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Simian Summit Quote
This is unbelievable!! How can you have no labs in LA? Even here in Hamilton (45 min from Toronto) I have 3 to choose from. If I lived in Downtown T.O. I suspect that would be a half dozen easy.
Los Angeles is very big city in both population and area. I live in the northern portion of the city(San Fernando Valley), separated by the southern two thirds by a mountain range (That's right, a mountain range bisects the city) This portion is low density and has large population of 1.8 million people scattered over 250+ sq miles. I can drive 15 miles east to west and 10 miles north to south in this portion of the city and not see a good lab (Walgreens and Costco excluded). I am aware of at least one pro lab an hour away in the city that is an easy 20+ mile drive each way. There may be more labs, but I am not aware of them. I find it hard to justify spending an hour driving to get a roll of film developed.

Almost all of the local camera stores have closed along with their photo counters. There are two very small camera stores that remain at each of the extreme ends of this area. One is not that good and the other I refuse to deal with because of how I have seen them deal with unknowledgeable customers. I am aware of four or five in the other portion of town, all at least 20+ driving miles away. The largest camera store, Samy's, is very big, also located many miles from me. I don't believe that they still have a photo processing counter any more. I've looked and have not seen one. They don't list processing prices online anymore.

To see approximately where I reside, look for the epicenter of the 1994 Northridge earthquake. I am very close to there.
08-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am aware of at least one pro lab an hour away in the city that is an easy 20+ mile drive each way
Maybe this Lab does mail processing, you should check and see? This would save you the time & gas driving. Also shipping the film would only take a day and be fairly inexpensive. (At least cheaper than the gas you used driving)

Phil
08-03-2014, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #90
Pentaxian

Rather than mourn the loss of our local labs, many mediocre,
better to explore our many mail-order options, some excellent.

IMO we should have a sticky for photo lab reviews.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 08-03-2014 at 02:20 PM.