Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2014, 11:07 AM   #121
Veteran Member
Cuthbert's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,573
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I think they did an excellent job editing that picture. Not all photography is photo journalism where you are not suppose to alter reality. And and in the case of that movie poster it is not really photography at all but illustrated graphics art to me. Anything goes in that genera.
Excellent job? The tatoos look so fake to me, they could at least take a still of her painted during the shots.

Having said that, if I had a good model like Keira I would NEVER retouch her because she looks good and I respect feminine beauty for what it is. Retouching her is like telling her she should get breast implants and as a matter of fact she was offended by the poster.

09-26-2014, 11:16 AM   #122
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,068
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Excellent job? The tatoos look so fake to me, they could at least take a still of her painted during the shots.

Having said that, if I had a good model like Keira I would NEVER retouch her because she looks good and I respect feminine beauty for what it is. Retouching her is like telling her she should get breast implants and as a matter of fact she was offended by the poster.
I guess you miss the part where I said it is not photography. Today we can easily incorporate parts of photos into art and illustration. Look at a movie poster from 60 years ago. The illustrations don't look like the actors realistically at all. They just drew or painted them back then mostly.
09-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #123
Site Supporter
6BQ5's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nevada, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,086
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote

... The illustrations don't look like the actors realistically at all. They just drew or painted them back then mostly.

I'm pretty sure they were painted. Same goes for a lot of the book covers from the time period. It was considered cheap commercial art back then. Painters and artists just cranked them out. Now a lot of the originals are very collectible. Digital imaging definitely killed that art.
09-26-2014, 01:50 PM   #124
Veteran Member
Cuthbert's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,573
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I'm pretty sure they were painted. Same goes for a lot of the book covers from the time period. It was considered cheap commercial art back then. Painters and artists just cranked them out. Now a lot of the originals are very collectible. Digital imaging definitely killed that art.
That is correct, one of the original posts of Star Wars is a paint featuring Mark Hamill with a six packs belly and Carrie Fischer with an exposed thigh that makes her look 180cm tall...wait! That's the idealization (and sexization) of the two characters, they didn't take two pictures of the actors and made they look like gym rats or Playboy bombshells...still I'm curious to understand from Tuco why Keira got so angry about that poster if it's just "art" and a representation of the character.

09-26-2014, 02:21 PM   #125
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,068
I didn't get angry. It sounds like you are. I'm just pointing out that when you get upset over movie posters not being photo journalism style of photography that it has historically never been that way. It must be that the degree accuracy reproducing the actors by digital art has you thinking they are more pictures than art perhaps?
09-26-2014, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #126
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,156
The Palmer House Hilton, Chicago has the room floor corridors lined with amazing
prints (all b/w) of the film stars from 1940~1950's
I examined them for a while, not sure, but they might be wet prints.

I shut my eyes and imagined them being taken with something like a Graflex 4x5 with a 127mm under strong tungsten.

This is not one of them, but it shows the fun of the times.
Attached Images
 
09-27-2014, 10:18 AM   #127
Veteran Member
Cuthbert's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,573
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I didn't get angry. It sounds like you are. I'm just pointing out that when you get upset over movie posters not being photo journalism style of photography that it has historically never been that way. It must be that the degree accuracy reproducing the actors by digital art has you thinking they are more pictures than art perhaps?
I didn't get angry, the actress got angry, with some good reasons IMO (and as far as I remember she obtained to get "restored" in the dvd sleeves at her natural state), I'm just surprised to see the level of acceptance of similar hack jobs in the digital era, that's it. IMO it's not a good sign, but anyone is free to disagree.
09-27-2014, 10:31 AM   #128
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,068
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
the actress got angry
Why? She was paid good money for the job and signed a contract. I bet if someone took the picture that was used to make the poster and projected it onto a canvas, traced it by hand and proceeded to paint it in to make a poster with interpretation and drama added ( like all movie posters) she wouldn't say a thing. But soon as you do the same on a computer the game changes?

09-27-2014, 11:04 AM   #129
IHS
Senior Member
IHS's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 175
And to think this all started with Barbarella... Here's the way I see it even though nobody asked. Big hooters sell movies...little ones don't. Not fair, but that's life. But we're also talking about a persons body here, not some dreamy landscape. If you're going to take artistic license with it, you need to run it by that person. They didn't...she's embarrassed and pissed. The end. Was it wrong? Yes... but she's stinking rich and I'm sure she'll get over it, if she hasn't already. Shouldn't we?
09-27-2014, 11:12 AM   #130
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,068
Frankly, the breast augmentation is hardly noticeable to me. I think I missed it until it was pointed out. And I'm sure the big business of Hollywood doesn't like running their decisions by employees first. She'll have to specify things like that in her next contract if she wants control. To publicly make a stink is almost like biting the hand that feeds you.

Last edited by tuco; 09-27-2014 at 11:19 AM.
09-27-2014, 11:29 AM   #131
IHS
Senior Member
IHS's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 175
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
She'll have to specify things like that in her next contract if she wants control. To publicly make a stink is almost like biting the hand that feeds you.
Fair enough and quite true. I'm kind of shocked her agent hasn't long ironed out such details. And while they do "feed" her, I think it's fair to say that A list actors and actresses "feed" them as well. Movies with nobodys starring in them don't bring in the kind of bacon they like. But still...there's plenty more where she came from I suppose. (perhaps even with larger breasts)
09-28-2014, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #132
Pentaxian
ChrisPlatt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 4,780
I just sold off the two digital cameras I owned.
Now I have no choice but to use film and my film cameras!

Chris
09-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #133
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 139
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I just sold off the two digital cameras I owned.

Chris



Sold your digital cameras? A good digital is the best accessory for a real camera. It makes a good light meter, can be used to frame and take a few trial shots, record the date, time, and GPS location.
Once the developing is done it can be a fine negative scanner. Also good for testing the old lenses.
09-28-2014, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #134
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,018
QuoteOriginally posted by clicksworth Quote
Sold your digital cameras? A good digital is the best accessory for a real camera. It makes a good light meter, can be used to frame and take a few trial shots, record the date, time, and GPS location.
Once the developing is done it can be a fine negative scanner. Also good for testing the old lenses.
As a good light meter a DSLR is much too big. With some practice - and the huge latitude of most film like Kodak Portra 400 shown below, you won't need a light meter.


Full size -> Kodak Portra 400 and others

BTW I am certain we all know any conveniences digital offers.
09-28-2014, 09:56 AM   #135
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 139
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
With some practice - and the huge latitude of most film like Kodak Portra 400 shown below, you won't need a light meter.


Nice chart. Do you have one like it for underexposure?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
correction, dev, dslr, ff, film, focus, forum, frame, fuji, home, image, k-3, labs, lenses, lx, media, mistakes, pentax, photography, photos, post, reason, review, size, slrs, steve, time, tlr, video, wildlife
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why Do YOU Still Use Film SLR's? dubiousone Pentax Film SLR Discussion 68 10-22-2013 04:51 PM
Film roll - What do you do ? Bandaid55 Film Processing, Scanning, and Darkroom 13 06-21-2013 12:54 PM
What lenses/gear do you still have from when you started? ChooseAName Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 54 05-27-2013 08:51 AM
"Why do you still use M lenses?!" jboyde Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 64 03-05-2011 02:57 AM
Do you scan your film? What do you use? filmamigo Film Processing, Scanning, and Darkroom 11 09-03-2008 07:58 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:22 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top