Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 55 Likes Search this Thread
09-26-2014, 11:07 AM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I think they did an excellent job editing that picture. Not all photography is photo journalism where you are not suppose to alter reality. And and in the case of that movie poster it is not really photography at all but illustrated graphics art to me. Anything goes in that genera.
Excellent job? The tatoos look so fake to me, they could at least take a still of her painted during the shots.

Having said that, if I had a good model like Keira I would NEVER retouch her because she looks good and I respect feminine beauty for what it is. Retouching her is like telling her she should get breast implants and as a matter of fact she was offended by the poster.

09-26-2014, 11:16 AM   #122
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Excellent job? The tatoos look so fake to me, they could at least take a still of her painted during the shots.

Having said that, if I had a good model like Keira I would NEVER retouch her because she looks good and I respect feminine beauty for what it is. Retouching her is like telling her she should get breast implants and as a matter of fact she was offended by the poster.
I guess you miss the part where I said it is not photography. Today we can easily incorporate parts of photos into art and illustration. Look at a movie poster from 60 years ago. The illustrations don't look like the actors realistically at all. They just drew or painted them back then mostly.
09-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #123
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

... The illustrations don't look like the actors realistically at all. They just drew or painted them back then mostly.

I'm pretty sure they were painted. Same goes for a lot of the book covers from the time period. It was considered cheap commercial art back then. Painters and artists just cranked them out. Now a lot of the originals are very collectible. Digital imaging definitely killed that art.
09-26-2014, 01:50 PM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I'm pretty sure they were painted. Same goes for a lot of the book covers from the time period. It was considered cheap commercial art back then. Painters and artists just cranked them out. Now a lot of the originals are very collectible. Digital imaging definitely killed that art.
That is correct, one of the original posts of Star Wars is a paint featuring Mark Hamill with a six packs belly and Carrie Fischer with an exposed thigh that makes her look 180cm tall...wait! That's the idealization (and sexization) of the two characters, they didn't take two pictures of the actors and made they look like gym rats or Playboy bombshells...still I'm curious to understand from Tuco why Keira got so angry about that poster if it's just "art" and a representation of the character.

09-26-2014, 02:21 PM   #125
Pentaxian

I didn't get angry. It sounds like you are. I'm just pointing out that when you get upset over movie posters not being photo journalism style of photography that it has historically never been that way. It must be that the degree accuracy reproducing the actors by digital art has you thinking they are more pictures than art perhaps?
09-26-2014, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #126
Veteran Member

The Palmer House Hilton, Chicago has the room floor corridors lined with amazing
prints (all b/w) of the film stars from 1940~1950's
I examined them for a while, not sure, but they might be wet prints.

I shut my eyes and imagined them being taken with something like a Graflex 4x5 with a 127mm under strong tungsten.

This is not one of them, but it shows the fun of the times.
Attached Images

09-27-2014, 10:18 AM   #127
Veteran Member

I didn't get angry. It sounds like you are. I'm just pointing out that when you get upset over movie posters not being photo journalism style of photography that it has historically never been that way. It must be that the degree accuracy reproducing the actors by digital art has you thinking they are more pictures than art perhaps?
I didn't get angry, the actress got angry, with some good reasons IMO (and as far as I remember she obtained to get "restored" in the dvd sleeves at her natural state), I'm just surprised to see the level of acceptance of similar hack jobs in the digital era, that's it. IMO it's not a good sign, but anyone is free to disagree.

09-27-2014, 10:31 AM   #128
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
the actress got angry
Why? She was paid good money for the job and signed a contract. I bet if someone took the picture that was used to make the poster and projected it onto a canvas, traced it by hand and proceeded to paint it in to make a poster with interpretation and drama added ( like all movie posters) she wouldn't say a thing. But soon as you do the same on a computer the game changes?
09-27-2014, 11:04 AM   #129
IHS

And to think this all started with Barbarella... Here's the way I see it even though nobody asked. Big hooters sell movies...little ones don't. Not fair, but that's life. But we're also talking about a persons body here, not some dreamy landscape. If you're going to take artistic license with it, you need to run it by that person. They didn't...she's embarrassed and pissed. The end. Was it wrong? Yes... but she's stinking rich and I'm sure she'll get over it, if she hasn't already. Shouldn't we?
09-27-2014, 11:12 AM   #130
Pentaxian

Frankly, the breast augmentation is hardly noticeable to me. I think I missed it until it was pointed out. And I'm sure the big business of Hollywood doesn't like running their decisions by employees first. She'll have to specify things like that in her next contract if she wants control. To publicly make a stink is almost like biting the hand that feeds you.

Last edited by tuco; 09-27-2014 at 11:19 AM.
09-27-2014, 11:29 AM   #131
IHS

She'll have to specify things like that in her next contract if she wants control. To publicly make a stink is almost like biting the hand that feeds you.
Fair enough and quite true. I'm kind of shocked her agent hasn't long ironed out such details. And while they do "feed" her, I think it's fair to say that A list actors and actresses "feed" them as well. Movies with nobodys starring in them don't bring in the kind of bacon they like. But still...there's plenty more where she came from I suppose. (perhaps even with larger breasts)
09-28-2014, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just sold off the two digital cameras I owned.
Now I have no choice but to use film and my film cameras!

Chris
09-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #133

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I just sold off the two digital cameras I owned.

Chris

Sold your digital cameras? A good digital is the best accessory for a real camera. It makes a good light meter, can be used to frame and take a few trial shots, record the date, time, and GPS location.
Once the developing is done it can be a fine negative scanner. Also good for testing the old lenses.
09-28-2014, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #134
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clicksworth Quote
Sold your digital cameras? A good digital is the best accessory for a real camera. It makes a good light meter, can be used to frame and take a few trial shots, record the date, time, and GPS location.
Once the developing is done it can be a fine negative scanner. Also good for testing the old lenses.
As a good light meter a DSLR is much too big. With some practice - and the huge latitude of most film like Kodak Portra 400 shown below, you won't need a light meter.

Full size -> Kodak Portra 400 and others

BTW I am certain we all know any conveniences digital offers.
09-28-2014, 09:56 AM   #135

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
With some practice - and the huge latitude of most film like Kodak Portra 400 shown below, you won't need a light meter.

Nice chart. Do you have one like it for underexposure?