09-15-2014, 04:41 PM   #106
IHS

^^^You know...Barbarella!

09-15-2014, 06:06 PM   #107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
I'm visiting New York right now shooting 645 & 6x9 B&W of old buildings. This evening I will be shooting color slide film of the video billboards in Times Square. I could take the K-3 and a wide angle and just shoot until the card is full, or I can take my 6x9 loaded with Velvia and take 8 shots. The thought and commitment to perfection that goes into those 8 frames with a 70 year old camera and hand-held light meter makes the five good ones (I hope I get five) into treasures I will be proud of for the rest of my life. If I shoot 600 shots on a 32Gb card, I will have a folder full of pictures of Times Square.
Very well said. I hope you have spectacular results!
09-15-2014, 07:44 PM   #108
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IHS Quote
^^^You know...Barbarella!
It is a cult classic today, but Fonda was known more for her politics than for her looks. For looks, think Rachel Welch.

Steve
09-15-2014, 11:02 PM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is a cult classic today, but Fonda was known more for her politics than for her looks. For looks, think Rachel Welch.

Steve
I assume you have never seen seen the zero g strip tease at the beginning of the movie them...that's for what she'd been famous for here.

I think Tognazzi said he had never seen such a perfect female body in all his life, and he was a famous viveur of that era.

09-16-2014, 09:20 AM   #110
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
I assume you have never seen seen the zero g strip tease at the beginning of the movie them...that's for what she'd been famous for here.
Oh yes, I have seen it...several times. Barbarella flopped on its release but was picked up almost a decade later on cable where it gained its current notoriety. As for the sex symbol aspect...I was 13 in 1968 and what would I know?

Steve
09-16-2014, 05:21 PM   #111
Forum Member

I was 15, let me tell you.. hmm, I better not!!!
09-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #112
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

in the 60s no photographer would have dared to retouch Jane Fonda or Brigitte Bardout
I suspect every single one of our favorite actresses was extensively retouched on a regular basis. I suspect they insisted on it.

09-16-2014, 09:47 PM   #113
Veteran Member

Yes, they were retouched, that's why large format was popular, the big photos were easier for artists to retouch.

Anyway, I love film, I just got back from weekend in tokyo, I bought a Leica M3 there, while testing it I went bit crazy and shot 4 rolls of BW film, 2 rolls of C41 and 6 E6 in 48 hour period.
That camera is pure fun to shoot, not to mention the smoothness, my ME Super and MX felt very lonely in my camera bag. I even ignored the hasselblad next to them and that's my most used camera.
09-17-2014, 04:26 AM   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I suspect every single one of our favorite actresses was extensively retouched on a regular basis. I suspect they insisted on it.
My father saw once "live" BB at Cannes in the late 60s and he said she looked out of this Earth.

Alas today I think some hack would heavily retouch Fonda in Barbarella to add some boobs like they did here:

If you notice today all low and mid famous actresses look strangely the same, probably a combination of make up, photoshop and surgery but today for instance an actress like Sandahl Bergman would never get the role of Valeria in Conan, just to make an example.
09-17-2014, 05:47 AM   #115
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I suppose that's why I enjoy streaming old movies so much. Who will ever rival Audrey Hepburn or Natalie Wood or a young Angie Dickinson or Ann-Margret (just for a few)?
09-17-2014, 01:04 PM   #116
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

a young Angie Dickinson or Ann-Margret (just for a few)
Or even the older versions of those ladies...

Steve
09-20-2014, 01:12 PM   #117
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Or even the older versions of those ladies...

Steve
Like my wife's High School reunion.

(Thinks): "The pretty girls are still the pretty girls."

(Thinks): They're SIXTY!!

* Mrs. monochrome is a pretty girl. She was quite young for her graduating class.
09-21-2014, 08:49 PM   #118
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

* Mrs. monochrome is a pretty girl. She was quite young for her graduating class.
You should bold this one...just saying...

Steve
09-26-2014, 10:17 AM   #119
Pentaxian

Alas today I think some hack would heavily retouch Fonda in Barbarella to add some boobs like they did here:
I think they did an excellent job editing that picture. Not all photography is photo journalism where you are not suppose to alter reality. And in the case of that movie poster it is not really photography at all but rather illustrated graphics art to me. Anything goes in that genera.

Last edited by tuco; 09-26-2014 at 11:09 AM. Reason: fix words
09-26-2014, 10:40 AM   #120
Veteran Member

I am sick of people look down on my digital PENTAX when I go out with it.

So I got a P67 and hang around my neck when I go out, now everyone who see my camera bow down to me with admiration in their eyes.

That's why I do film.

Kidding.

I am still looking for a nice 135 camera that I can love, tried Yashica GSN, Canon EOS 3, not as nice as P67. Plan to get my hand on LX.

Film is, as Mijonju said, "Film is romantic".