Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 55 Likes Search this Thread
10-16-2014, 03:41 PM   #166
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am truly grateful for this site. It is very helpful as to what to buy, why buy it and how to use it. It is a tremendous joy to be associated with so many talented and gifted individuals. All I can say is, "Most Impressive." I continue to use film because for me it is always a challenge having to calculate exposures. I enjoy working with colors, light, bokeh and of course, composition. The down side of course is having to wait sometimes 7 to 10 days to see what my photos look like. This time of the year it is slow for most film labs. During the season from April through the second week in October, I get my photos back in as little as two days. Also, I simply like the results I get from using film. The reasons I have not gone over to digital: The price of digital equipment. I cannot believe a Nikon D7000 sells for $6,500.00 body only, and on sale. I can imagine another $1,000.00 to $1,500.00 for a new lens. (Also on sale). Yes, of course there are other famous brands that sell for less, much less, however, it still remains a huge outlay of funds. So much so, that I cannot see how it would ever be cost effective. Then again the service and maintenance costs are astronomical. I am aware that there are many sensors inside a digital camera, and eventually they will all need tuning up. So for at least another ten years (if film is still available) I will continue to enjoy my Pentax ME Super, SF-10 and ZX-30. Incidentally all of these cameras seem to produce best results using Kodak Ultramax ISO 400 Color Print Film. Thanks for reading.

Regards,

Tony

10-16-2014, 04:41 PM - 2 Likes   #167
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Why?
Several of my cameras just do not work without film.
Yeah I also have a few mouths to feed . . .

10-17-2014, 07:07 AM   #168
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Yeah I also have a few mouths to feed . . .
Wow, that's an impressive collection!

Phil.
10-17-2014, 09:11 AM   #169
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Wow, that's an impressive collection!

Phil.
It is all part of the total immersion plan since I was very late to the party . . .

10-17-2014, 09:20 AM   #170
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am about to make a lon, low budget journey and don`t want to lag the DSLR with lenses, be distracted by it, look like a tourist, intimidate others, be worried of loosing or have it stolen, etc.. So I am looking to buy an AF film camera (looking for an *ist if anyone has one) stuck the DA40 XS and lots of film. Some cheating... I am also taking the MX-1
10-17-2014, 12:21 PM   #171

QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote
I was looking at what it would cost to jump into a nikon full frame or the fuji x systems to replace what I have in pentax glass / film cameras. The reason I did that was after home developing 9 rolls of c-41 I was wondering if it was worth it. (the answer of course is, yes, for me as proven by the photos of my family which is the only reason I do this)

In any case, that got me to thinking, why do I do film?

It boils down to this for me....

1) I shoot almost everything I can wide open. I am sick to death of iphone depth of field for 98% of the photos I see of families, kids etc. Full frame FA77 is a completely different look than my F 50 1.7 on aps-c.

2) I hate post-production. I just want it scanned, and other than tweaking the brightness because the scanner guessed wrong, or editing out huge dust specs I don't do anything to the film. It looks phenomenal. (scanning on a pakon) Film gives me the contrast and punchiness I always tried to get on digital by screwing around in post.

3) Real optical huge viewfinder. I have an LX and MZ-S and love it. I worry about the future with all these EVFs.

4) Tri-X. Even if I change how I do things, I will always have at least an LX and a 50mm :-)

At the end of the day I am getting the shots I want now, and am very happy. I have to do home dev to keep costs down but that is fine. I figure I can do this at least a few more years before I get too ansy or sick of doing home dev.

Jamey
the work/reward formula is it worth the work. i love making meter readings and setting my own exposure. i think auto focus is an ingenius solution to a non existant problem. i dislike spending 10 minutes flipping through menus when i can set a manual camera to do what i want in 10 seconds. that said a digital can shoot till the cows come home, with a big enough memory card. lastly cds and memory cards are earier to store safely as i found out when flooding destroyed 25 years worth of photos, slides, and negatives.
10-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #172
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Roguephotographer Quote
the work/reward formula is it worth the work. i love making meter readings and setting my own exposure. i think auto focus is an ingenius solution to a non existant problem. i dislike spending 10 minutes flipping through menus when i can set a manual camera to do what i want in 10 seconds. that said a digital can shoot till the cows come home, with a big enough memory card. lastly cds and memory cards are earier to store safely as i found out when flooding destroyed 25 years worth of photos, slides, and negatives.
Damn, that's tough. I don't know how I would react should I loose 25 years of photos. I've been shooting since the early seventies, and all of those images are precious to me.

Digital does have its place when it comes to saving backups.

10-17-2014, 02:35 PM   #173
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Roguephotographer Quote
i think auto focus is an ingenius solution to a non existant problem. ... i found out when flooding destroyed 25 years worth of photos, slides, and negatives.
Well, you thought wrong about auto focus. Perhaps because you don't take pictures of fast moving things where AF is an ideal solution that doesn't mean other people don't benefit from that technology.

Sorry to hear about your flooding and loss. But negatives can be washed and dried again with no problem. Couldn't you wash the mud and junk off them and save some?
10-17-2014, 03:00 PM   #174
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Perhaps because you don't take pictures of fast moving things where AF is an ideal solution that doesn't mean other people don't benefit from that technology.
You have been spending too much time with your Nikon dSLRs. Accurate AF of fast moving objects is an impossible point of convergence with most vintage film camera AF systems.

Steve
10-17-2014, 03:20 PM   #175

I shoot film because for the price of a full frame digital camera plus lens (around the $2500 combined in conservative estimates) I can buy a $25 Pentax ME Super, $100 for a 50mm f1.4 SMC-M lens and $2000 worth of rolls of Kodak Ektar 100 film and processing and be happy as a hamster in a wheel. For less than $200 I can shoot "full frame" and rack up some great images due to the "bang for your buck" nature that you try to maintain with film. Every shot is worth its weight in gold so I tend to be cautious how I shoot each frame.

I can understand the need for a digital 35mm equivalent. Full frame cameras have their use and I understand the professional need for such devices, but as a way to get joy out of photography, the organic feeling of winding that lever, pushing a button and repeating the process endlessly is therapy for the soul. I don't know what it is, or why I prefer film over digital, be it its look or the anticipation of something not known to you at an instant, but I do know it's addicting.

Yeah, it has it's disadvantages. And yes, if you ever plan to buy a full frame camera the developing and film can be pricy over time. However, I feel that film photography has something else altogether that 95% of the time you aren't trying to get with full frame digital camera. It's almost apples and oranges at this point.
10-17-2014, 03:58 PM   #176
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You have been spending too much time with your Nikon dSLRs. Accurate AF of fast moving objects is an impossible point of convergence with most vintage film camera AF systems.

Steve
Vintage being cameras before 1950? In the year 2000 you could buy a respectable auto focus film camera, no?
10-17-2014, 04:59 PM   #177
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Vintage being cameras before 1950? In the year 2000 you could buy a respectable auto focus film camera, no?
Autofocus is for sissies! The REAL photographer uses manual camera, exploits the DOF of the lens shooting hyperfocal!
10-18-2014, 02:34 AM   #178
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
I am about to make a lon, low budget journey and don`t want to lag the DSLR with lenses, be distracted by it, look like a tourist, intimidate others, be worried of loosing or have it stolen, etc.. So I am looking to buy an AF film camera (looking for an *ist if anyone has one) stuck the DA40 XS and lots of film. Some cheating... I am also taking the MX-1
Did you post anything in the marketplace? That would be the place to start for me. They are also sometimes available on ebay, although the buy it now prices tend to be exorbitant.
10-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #179
Veteran Member

Yes, I put a wanted thread. Theres only one on ebay for US250.
I am sensing you hsve one and probably should sell it? I choose the ist because of smalll size and low weight. Paired with the DA40 XS, and loaded it comes srround 400gr
10-18-2014, 08:24 AM   #180
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
I choose the ist because of smalll size and low weight.
I looked at an ist some time ago, but it has problems with -M lenses ( I don't recall all the details) , that were fixed later with the ist d - series.
So that put me off buying an ist .