Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2014, 10:02 AM   #1

Need an Opinion

First post! Hello all.

I dug out my K1000 that I bought new at the PX at Ft. Leavenworth back in the 70's. Also dug out a Minolta Maxxum 3 that I picked up along the way, and have been using a Sony Powershot for quite awhile. For the K1000 I have the SMC M F2 50mm lens it came with, a Vivitar 55mm - 200mm F4 Auto and an Albinar ADG 80-200mm F 3.9 Macro zoom. I dont know anything about these two lenses, I think I got them because they were cheap.

The Minolta just has the 50 - 80 lens it came with.

I have a serious wild hair to pick up an MX and add it to the K1000 or get an 80-200 F 4.5 - 5.6 lens for the Maxxum 3. Im not really sure where Im going with this but have been using the K1000 more taking pictures of Hummingbirds, flowers, sunsets etc. Eventually I want to have these handy to photograph wildlife and think the Maxxum 3 would be a little faster with it's AF. But I have read all the reviews about the MX which is pushing towards getting it.

I really cant justify getting both now, but the MX im looking at comes with a Tamron 70-150mm f3.5 lens. Both lenses and camera are excellent condition.

Your thoughts? Thank you!

07-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You certainly don't need a wild hair to pick up a good working MX as it has the biggest viewfinder in the smallest full manual SLR body.
The only question really is do you want it in black or chrome . . .

07-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello and welcome to the Forums. The black one is so sexy
07-20-2014, 08:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

To me, it's a "no-brainer." A beautiful MX, or an (in my opinion) pretty ugly and average Minolta with no manual control.

The MX is on my wishlist, as the features of the KX (same features, bigger body) are great and I like small cameras. (When I'm not shooting 645, that is...)
I wouldn't mind getting a Minolta, but it'd have to either be one of the older models (pre AF) or one of the higher end models with manual controls.

07-21-2014, 05:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum!!

I'd get the MX -but I'm bias. This it Pentax Forums, not Minolta Forums.

I don't know your experience level with photographing wildlife, so I pass on my limited knowledge. I know patience, silence, and a long telephoto lens are key. So, here are a couple questions to ask yourself:
Will the wildlife be frighten away by the noise from the Maxxum 3 while is hunts for focus?
Will you be able to get close enough to your subjects to produce the photos you want with the maximum focal lengths you have (200mm)?

Here are some samples to help you decide.

A cicada, shot with a 50mm lens, from a distance of about a foot...

A blue jay, 200mm lens, distance about 65 feet...

A blue heron, shot with a 400mm lens, from about 200 feet...

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Fred

Edit: the point I hoped to make here is you might consider keeping the K1000 and add a longer telephoto lens for it, rather than buying an MX or another 200mm lens.

Last edited by hollywoodfred; 07-22-2014 at 05:00 PM. Reason: added more info.
07-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #6
M36

Original Poster
Well, kind of did both. Found a very nice deal on a Minolta zoom lens I wanted, and picked a very nice, decently priced ME Super. Maybe the MX down the road sometime.

Thanks for the input.

QuoteQuote:
Will the wildlife be frighten away by the noise from the Maxxum 3 while is hunts for focus?
I wish I could get that close
07-28-2014, 06:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The ME Super is a lovely camera. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

09-13-2014, 04:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm personally not a fan of the MX but I'm a minority here, my suggestion for wildlife is something different: not an autofocus but a good aperture priority camera like the K2 that will allow you to use all the DOF at small apertures shooting an hyper focal: I use the trick in street photography so I've a sort of point and shoot camera and I don't need to focus at all.

Of course being hyper focal it's faster than an autofocus.