Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What system did you start with?
Started on Pentax, stayed with Pentax 8057.97%
Started with Canon, switched to Pentax 128.70%
Started with Nikon, switched to Pentax 96.52%
Started with Fuji, switched to Pentax 10.72%
Started with Olympus, switched to Pentax 75.07%
Started with Sony, switch to Pentax 32.17%
Started with other (specify below), switched to Pentax 2618.84%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-01-2014, 04:23 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
I'm a bit confused. You seem to be saying that your Pentax digital offers better ISO and DR over your Canon film? Didn't your Canon digital offer the same gains?

Actually, while modern full frame DSLR's offer high ISO performance that film struggles to match, the dynamic range of film is still usually better than digital.
No sir. I am saying pentax digital has better high ISO and dynamic range than Canon digital. I left film strictly due to cost, though it has better dynamic range than both.

08-02-2014, 01:11 PM   #47

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I started late in the game with a used program plus, and went to a Pentax digital because of the lens reverse compatibility. Although I still love to shoot my MX and LX, I have to say that I am getting a little RF and TLR curious.
08-02-2014, 01:49 PM   #48

Started with the Spotmatic, than the Pentax 67. Now I'm thinking of getting a Pentax 645N for landscapes and travelling.
08-12-2014, 10:39 AM   #49

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I took my first steps in Photography by shooting with my Dad's Ricoh KR-5 and learning a bit about exposure using an old Zorki-4.

My first real foray into photography was around 1988/99 when I got given a Praktica BCA for christmas. I soon added in a Praktica BC1 to shoot in full manual mode.
When the Praktica kit was stolen I replaced it with a Ricoh KR-10m which lasted me for a number of years.

In 2006 when my work circumstances changed I decided to go digital so moving to another Penta K system seemed the obvious choice. Since then i've had a Samsung GX-1L, GX10D, Pentax Kx and finally my K30. I also shoot film with an MZ-s, *ist, a P30 and a PZ-1p.

For my part I enjoy shooting Pentax and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Pentax does what I need and it does it within my budget.

08-14-2014, 11:02 AM   #50
Inactive Account

Minolta

I started with a Minolta SRT200 back in 1980, purchased new with a 45mm f/2 lens. Did get my first Pentax until later today.

Later today isn't entirely correct. I traded my trusty Minolta for a used Spotmatic back in 1984 or so, but I didn't keep it long and never really got comfortable with stopped-down metering back then (I was a teenager).

Even now, while I have four Pentax lenses, purchased from KEH, I don't have a working body yet. I ordered an MX in excellent condition from KEH about 8-weeks-ago, but the viewfinder shutter speed indicator was broken, so back it went. The next one they sent me had a dead meter. The third one arrives later today, we shall see. I also have another MX (CLA'd by Eric) that I bought yesterday here on the forums and should have by Monday.

So, I haven't actually shot with a Pentax yet. While waiting I get my film fix with my Minolta gear (not the originals I had in the 80s), which currently consists of an XE-7 fresh from a thorough CLA, and XD11 currently away for CLA and four excellent Minolta primes.

In the digital world I shoot with a Leica M Monochrom and four Leica primes, as well as a Sony RX100 m2 for casual carry.

I will say I am very anxious to play with the MX.
08-25-2014, 11:54 AM   #51
Inactive Account

Both MXs are here and I must say, those things are pretty little jewels of cameras. Not as slick as the Minolta XD11, not as pretty or smooth as a Leica, but for a mechanical SLR this is about as small and nice as imaginable.

I loaded the black one up with film and will take it with me on a short business trip to Los Angeles tonight and tomorrow. Traveling light, so just the MX body and SMC-M 50mm f/2. No digital except for iPhone 5.
08-27-2014, 12:10 PM   #52
Inactive Account

My first camera ever was a Canon EOS Elan 7n in 35mm, however when I went to art school I used a Pentax K1000 and I have been a Pentaxian ever since.

08-28-2014, 01:13 AM   #53
Inactive Account

Didn't get to shoot anything in Los Angeles (went drinking instead of photo walking), but the MX and 50mm f/2 was a great companion last night at my Rotary club. I'll try to finish off the roll today and tomorrow.
09-06-2014, 04:33 AM   #54
IHS

Started with a IQzoom 140 around 1997...My wife bought it for me after she'd done a good bit of research. (smart cookie) I took a train load of pictures with that little camera and really was surprised at how well they looked. So when I went digital, I stuck with pentax. I picked up a optio e80 and shot it for a while. I liked the close up stuff but quickly realized its limitations. I got my first dslr around last year...a k-50 and oh my. I couldn't be any more addicted! I've since started looking into the vintage slrs that were out of my price range in my younger days and snapping them up. I'll post some pics in the pron thread soon. I'm new here, so please go easy if I ask boring questions! Thanks...