Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What system did you start with?
Started on Pentax, stayed with Pentax 8057.97%
Started with Canon, switched to Pentax 128.70%
Started with Nikon, switched to Pentax 96.52%
Started with Fuji, switched to Pentax 10.72%
Started with Olympus, switched to Pentax 75.07%
Started with Sony, switch to Pentax 32.17%
Started with other (specify below), switched to Pentax 2618.84%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2014, 01:27 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
They aren't. I started on Canon film bodies. Then moved to Canon digital, and have come to Pentax digital for better ISO and DR over Canon film.

My first ever camera (still own it): File:Fisher-Price Perfect Shot? camera (448482439).jpg - Wikimedia Commons

"serious" cameras: Canon Rebel GII--> Canon Rebel XSi--> Canon 50D--> Pentax K5
I'm a bit confused. You seem to be saying that your Pentax digital offers better ISO and DR over your Canon film? Didn't your Canon digital offer the same gains?

Actually, while modern full frame DSLR's offer high ISO performance that film struggles to match, the dynamic range of film is still usually better than digital.

07-31-2014, 01:28 PM   #32

Started with a Panasonic bridge, then went to Pentax when I came to DSLR
07-31-2014, 02:13 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Started with M42 Praktica MTL3
07-31-2014, 02:41 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Had a manual Centon DF300, then bought a Canon eos 50e, but considered an MZ-5N. This was all around 1999-2001.
Switched to Pentax (K10D) when went digital in 2008.

I ended up buying a second hand MZ-5N a couple of years ago.

07-31-2014, 02:46 PM   #35
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My first SLR was an EXA. It was what I could afford at the time. I wanted Pentax and I switched to Pentax (with an MX) as soon s I could afford it. I have been Pentax ever since (currently K10D and K-01, and maybe a K50/60/70 or whatever in the future). But I have always had a non-Pentax CSC or point-and-shoot. Pentax just doesn't stand out in that crowd. The XG-1 could have tempted me if it had a larger sensor. I have just ordered a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 which has a 1/1.7" sensor, Leica lens with 7.1x optical zoom, and 192 gm with battery. I think this is just about the best current compromise for a "pocketable" camera to use in my work environment I seriously considered the Q7 but decided I was better of not changing lenses.
07-31-2014, 02:54 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Started on MZ50 & P30 in the 90's because that's what the whole family was shooting.
Went through a phase with using a Nikon digital compact and Fuji bridge camera.
Then I woke up and came home to Pentax for both film and digital

I just wanted a system where film and digital didn't feel different.
07-31-2014, 05:58 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My first SLR was a Mamiya/Sekor 500 DTL. It used the 42mm screw mount. Next camera was a Sportmatic II because I already had lenses for it.. When it came time to switch to K-mount I got two Ricoh XRM's. Wore one of the out. I thought that they were great cameras. From there a PZ-1p and a ZX-5n. Quite frankly I did not like the PZ-1p as it was way too complicated and did nothing to improve my photographs. I still have it and it probably doesn't have three rolls of film through it. The Zx-5n with the added battery pack went everywhere. I really like that camera. A also have a NIB ZX-m.

In 1998 I was laid of from work and pretty much gave up photography for almost 15 years. Only shot a few rolls of film. I started getting the itch again and found this forum to see what Pentax had in DSLR's. I got a K5 and a year or so later a K5-IIs. Stayed with Pentax becasue of all the lenses I already had. Not disappointed with the equipment at all. It has been a steep learning curve transitioning to digit though. Auto everything cameras are too fast for me and I found myself hitting the shutter release way to quick. Photographs I took in Yellowstone were downright embarrassing. I have spent this past spring really playing with the cameras and keeper rate is way up now. Amazing how much you can learn just sitting in a chair and snapping photos in the room you are in.

These things called modes and this other thing called auto focus were quite bewildering at first.

07-31-2014, 06:03 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Started with a Ricoflex, twin lens reflex... about 1956, Pentax in 67, and always owned a Pentax ever since, but also owned a Mamiya 645 simultaneously for serous stuff. My first digital was a Sony and it recorded the images on a 3.5 inch floppy.
07-31-2014, 06:09 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My first digital was a Sony and it recorded the images on a 3.5 inch floppy.
Lucky you. My PhotoPC had 1MB of internal memory and could hold 16 640x480 images or 32 320x240 images. You had to transfer the images to a computer using a serial cable.

My avatar was taken with that camera, just about the only usable image I ever got from it...
08-01-2014, 01:32 AM   #40
Veteran Member

The first camera I used was a Agfa point and shoot that my parents owned, then I bought a second-hand Minolta SRT Super and lenses from a friend of my Brother and continued shooting Minoltas until I finally succumbed to the digital age by buying a Pentax K7. I had (have) a long love affair with Minoltas owning and still owning and shooting many of their classic cameras and lenses but with their sale and change of direction with Sony (EVF's leave me cold and tend to go on strike in the cold!) I jumped ship to Pentax.

Glenn
08-01-2014, 06:31 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My first digital was a Sony and it recorded the images on a 3.5 inch floppy.
As was mine. It was the first-gen Sony Mavica.
08-01-2014, 07:34 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Started with MZ50 with my meager pay at that time.
Wanted something better (DOF preview and spot metering), so got the MZ-5n later on,
Then went on to digital K100D and so on.

Now on a PONY for the sake of using the Pentax lenses on FF.
Hopefully can get back to a Pentax FF when they release one.
Won't ever change though, the lenses are too good to change to another brand.
08-01-2014, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyTurley Quote
As was mine. It was the first-gen Sony Mavica.
I bought five for my web design class, what an improvement over shooting film and scanning.
08-01-2014, 08:25 AM   #44

First Camera that was my daily carry ..... Canon AE-1 ( Fathers )
First Camera purchased with my own money ..... Pentax SF-1 ( 1989? )
then from there it was all easy coasting .....
Pentax PZ-1
Pentax PZ-1p
Nikon N70
Nikon N90s
Nikon F4
Mamiya RB
Hassy 501c ( 1999 )
And from there it's a bit fuzzy. But my early days was crystal clear because they were milestones for my career. Everytime I got a better paying gig I invested in new eqpt.
08-01-2014, 03:58 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Camera roadmap

I started with ten dollar Instamatic type cameras, 126 then 110.
In junior high school I bought my first adjustable lens camera, a Ricoh 500G rangefinder.
In high school my first SLR was a second-hand Canon AE-1. I later traded up to the then-new A-1.
In college I traded for a new Nikon FM. Later I added a used FTn Photomic. When those were stolen I bought a brand new FM2n.
By the mid-1990's I had lost interest in photography and sold the Nikon gear.

In the late 1990's I discovered eBay and tried a couple Ricoh/Sears K-mount SLRs.
Then I upgraded to a Pentax KX. I've tried numerous Pentax bodies and lenses since.
The work of Eric Hendrickson has been a major factor in my sticking with Pentax.

I've tried various medium format cameras too: Yashica 124G, Fujica GS645, Pentax 645, Bronica RF645 etc.
But I always returned to 35mm for the handling, convenience and lower cost.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 08-12-2014 at 03:51 PM.