Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2014, 05:31 PM   #16
Pentaxian

I lost all of my cassettes and half of my LPs (N through Z) in the flood from Sandy.
I still have a couple of nice cassette decks but I haven't tried using them in years.
I see the Maxell XLII chrome audio cassettes I once used have now tripled in price!

Chris

08-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maxell XL11 chrome tapes were all I used with a very good deck, to record new albums I bought back in the eighties, and others going back to the fifties. A few years back, realizing that cassette decks would soon be unavailable, I recorded well over a hundred 90 minute tapes, in real time onto DVD. From there I made a few CDs, and also put all onto my iPods. Heresy! I hear, but the original tapes (and LPs) remain, free of wear. Now I can now hear recordings of even old 78s while driving, or on a play list when company arrives, without interruption.
08-07-2014, 08:09 AM   #18
Site Supporter

It was a bit of an eye opener when I thought about getting the cassette deck into production. I hadn’t used it in about 10 years, so the first step was a CLA. I found an “Eric” equivalent that would do the CLA quite easily with a Google search.

Next I checked the local electronics store to see what blank tapes were available. That was a bit of a shock, the only tapes being made now are low grade ones you would use for dictation.
I found all the old cassettes types I was familiar with on eBay and there is quite a lot of NOS. After the iPod came out and the cassette market crashed, I guess a lot of stores must have been stuck with a huge inventory of tapes that no one wanted to buy. The only issue is the really good metal/chrome tapes are expensive. At least with cassette tapes there is no expiry date and you don’t have to worry about if they were freezer stored.

I really missed making tapes and always had a lot of fun doing it. Converting vinyl to digital and recording it did work, but it did not enjoy the process as much. Kind of like film vs digital in photography.

Phil.
08-07-2014, 04:58 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Magnetic recordings degrade over time, as does the tape they're recorded on.
It's inevitable, no matter how they're stored.
Still I do plan to fire up the old cassette deck and try some of those overpriced blank tapes I just bought...

Chris

08-07-2014, 06:13 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I used to have a Nakamichi 550 portable recorder and used the TDK Super Avilyn tapes.

I see that TDK was started as a ferrite producer soon after the invention of ferrites but is now out of magnetic media and concentrating on post dvd media.

Nakamichi Research Corp Ltd, once regarded as top stuff in hi-fi magnetic recording now makes component speakers and lcd TVs.

Cassettes peaked in 1990 with 442 million shipped, and by 2011, only 15 thousand cassettes were shipped.
Cassette tapes see new life after MP3s ? USATODAY.com
08-07-2014, 06:42 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Still I do plan to fire up the old cassette deck and try some of those overpriced blank tapes I just bought...

Chris
Yes, it seems logical that 'print through' and other magnetic influences would affect the quality of the original formatting. My own experience though, when recording high quality Maxell tapes to DVD, was that after twenty years they still sounded fine. Certainly my hearing is no longer a good judge anymore, but even so, the fact that I bought the very best tapes available (about $7 each in bulk buy if I remember correctly) paid off. I was also careful to keep them from magnetic influences in storage.
I think that analogue people love the tangible, concrete representation of the software, be it music or images. An older mechanical film camera is therapeutic for me to handle especially when it is beautifully made; then it becomes a work of art. It is very hard to feel the same way about a printed circuit.

---------- Post added 08-08-14 at 11:43 ----------

Chris
Yes, it seems logical that 'print through' and other magnetic influences would affect the quality of the original formatting. My own experience though, when recording high quality Maxell tapes to DVD, was that after twenty years they still sounded fine. Certainly my hearing is no longer a good judge anymore, but even so, the fact that I bought the very best tapes available (about $7 each in bulk buy if I remember correctly) paid off. I was also careful to keep them from magnetic influences in storage.
I think that analogue people love the tangible, concrete representation of the software, be it music or images. An older mechanical film camera is therapeutic for me to handle especially when it is beautifully made; then it becomes a work of art. It is very hard to feel the same way about a printed circuit.
08-15-2014, 03:27 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I like it in here. Cozy inside these analog threads. The rest of the forum for the most part is endlessly debating bits and bobs and specs and figures in the neverending digiworld. I don't mind it - this is not an anti-digital thread I'm opening here. Rather, I just wanted to voice that it's, as I said, cozy in here. Everything is constant - occasional blips about specific setups and someone's rantings about a great body they've found. Pricing info for older cameras and a plethera of nice image threads which folks often take time to view and comment on here.

If I'm short on time and popping into the forums, this is often my one-and-done stop here in "Pentax Film SLR Discussion".

I like it here best.

Can I pour you one while you wax poetic, or confer and confabulate the joys of shooting onto an emulsion?

So, it's Friday, just got off work, popped the cap on a Bass Ale, and here I am reading the PF film threads. It's always my first stop when I'm here, and I usually don't stray too far. I barely participate here, so it's almost pointless to look elsewhere.

I decided this particular thread needed a bump. Not that I have much of anything to say, other than I do enjoy shooting film, and with mostly manual bodies and lens. Ok, I need a matched needle meter a-la the KX. And I really like the K-mount system. In three plus years, I've picked up an MX, KM, KX (times 2), K2, and K1000 SE to join my original K1000. I use the KXs and K2 most often. I like the way they look, the way they feel In my hands, and the noise the shutter makes as the light passes through to the film. l enjoy the challenge of loading the film correctly. I like that all of the controls I need are right there, always visible, and easy to use. I like that the manuals for all of these cameras when stacked upon one another is still thinner than the manual for the second hand K10D I bought last fall. (Actually I haven't tried that, but I expect it is true.)

I enjoy images captured on film more than I enjoy images captured digitally. For me, film has a quality over digital that I can't describe. Whatever it is, it's one of the reasons I continue to shoot film. But, I'm also having one of my digital shots printed on canvas, which I suppose is an indication that I embrace both, but I have a film bias. I don't enjoy having to mail my film for developing, but I'm glad I do mail it because the distant lab produces a better product than what was provided by my local lab. Maybe once I'm officially retired and have more time, I'll do my own developing.

The digital side reminds me of the stereo wars we had when I was stationed in Germany. Everyone had to buy the latest amp, tuner, equalizer, speaker set. We were all chasing watts, total harmonic distortion, signal to noise ratios, and frequency response - never mind that we couldn't actually hear the difference. At ant rate, it was fun, and I don't disparage the digital folks for keeping up with technology, but it's not for me.

As a software developer, I've found myself starting to live in a contradiction. The more advanced our digital world becomes, the less I want to be part of it. (New rant thread required.) My newest favorite phrase is "just because we can do it, doesn't me we should".

At any rate, these are my Friday ramblings. Thanks for tolerating!

cheers,
Fred
08-15-2014, 04:23 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hollywoodfred Quote
As a software developer, I've found myself starting to live in a contradiction. The more advanced our digital world becomes, the less I want to be part of it. (New rant thread required.) My newest favorite phrase is "just because we can do it, doesn't me we should".
I hear ya! I graduated tech school in 1986 and have worked in electronics and computers ever since.
I feel the same way. I watch my coworkers willingly enslave themselves to their electronics and can only laugh.

Give me mechanical and analog any day!

Chris

08-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hollywoodfred Quote
The more advanced our digital world becomes, the less I want to be part of it.
I hear ya! I graduated tech school in 1986 and have worked in electronics and computers ever since.
I feel the same way. I watch my coworkers willingly enslave themselves to their electronics and can only laugh.

Give me mechanical and analog any day!

Chris
Ditto for me and I’ve also worked in the IT field since the late 70’s.

Too many bits & bytes at work, so I want to keep them out of my personal life.

Phil.
08-15-2014, 07:25 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Back in the day when Pioneer and AR were actually good stuff and Revox was studio monitor quality my roommate recorded 1000 45's onto 6" reels, indexed them and would DJ requests at sorority houses for 4 hours for $400 and beer. He graduated to Peavey 100 loudspeakers, borrowed my 1967 VW Squareback to haul everything, dropped out, and broke every ASCAP rule known to man. Sometimes I sat Reel 2 (with two operators there wasn't even a break to switch from 'A' to 'B') for $50.

I saw him at 35th Reunion - he owns a Convention Audio/Visual and Backdrops contracting company, sold the master tapes and electronics to a bar (but he kept a dub of the master) and his hobby is - 70's audiophile Hi-Fi gear.

Since the children are out of the house my wife and I have been gradually cleaning out 30 years of accumulated things. She recently opened the cabinet beneath the television and asked, "What should we do with all these cassettes?"

I know who to call to find a player if they aren't all dried out.***

*** BTW, I like it in here too. I need to change my Bookmark links from News and Rumors.
08-15-2014, 08:14 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Back in the day when Pioneer and AR were actually good stuff
I own and still use a 70s vintage Pioneer direct drive turntable (PL-530) and my good college buddy had a pair of AR-5 speakers. Unfortunately we managed to overdrive the AR-5s one afternoon while putting a new amplifier through its paces. The coil wires simply burned up.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I need to change my Bookmark links from News and Rumors.
Sounds like a healthy choice to me.

Steve
08-15-2014, 10:35 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I own and still use a 70s vintage Pioneer direct drive turntable (PL-530) and my good college buddy had a pair of AR-5 speakers. Unfortunately we managed to overdrive the AR-5s one afternoon while putting a new amplifier through its paces. The coil wires simply burned up.
My AR 9 LS reference speakers are still going strong. I bought them in 1983. About ten tears ago I had the rubber speaker surrounds replaced as they were perishing from ozone/ UV stress. The UV light here destroys plastic unless it is treated.

Last edited by arnold; 08-18-2014 at 10:54 PM.
08-15-2014, 11:14 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Like camera foam light seals, speaker foam surrounds disintegrate over time in any environment.

I purchased a kit and plan to refoam my first pair of speakers this weekend.
They're Design Acoustics PS-10's (with down-firing woofer!) from the 1980's.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 08-17-2014 at 08:48 AM.
08-18-2014, 11:55 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've a had a number of vinyl setups over the years but my current is actually my favorite and is the simplest.

Technics SL-7 turntable --> Marantz 2235b receiver --> Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 bookshelf speakers

The speakers are where I turn to new technology - the materials and design of loudspeakers has improved in a huge way over the years. I've had some great vintage Bose and Pioneer speaks in the past but the size/cost/sound that these Wharfe's deliver is just incredible with this setup, and their footprint is tiny.