Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Is film auto focus faster?

So I have owned the K-10 and currently own a K-01 and MZ-S film camera.

I acquired a new-to-me F 70-210 zoom and the autofocus is stupidly fast and accurate on the film body compared to my K-01 or what I remember about auto focus on my K-10. (I had other zooms back then)

I am correct on this or just my perception?

Also I think that live view + focus peaking on the K-01 may be faster for me doing kid shots than the actual autofocus that comes with it...

Jamey

08-08-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-01 uses CDAF, which works much differently than viewfinder autofocus. It's also much slower with telephoto lenses, so you're certainly not imagining things. However, the AF in the K10D should be at least as good as that of the MZ-S.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-09-2014, 10:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The SMC Pentax-F 70-210 focuses ridiculously fast on the K10D as well.
The K-01 is really slow with long focal length lenses.