Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2014, 06:25 AM   #31
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At one time I had the technique and K2 was my favorite camera. I finally tired of the ASA ring getting sticky. After the third trip to Eric for a lubrication I sold all of them except a collector body that I rarely use - and then only with 100 film.

08-24-2014, 10:24 AM   #32
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
but still one of Pentax' worst designs.
Yep Pentax should have used the same dial as on the KX.

Phil.
08-24-2014, 02:24 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Opened the mount up one time. Scary but trivial job really. A bit of grit had got in. A small amount of light oil and all good again...
Wouldn't try that with a KAF mount.
09-08-2014, 05:07 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
After many months and sleepless nights passed on ebay I was able to get all the five K models (K1000 1st batch,KM,KX, K2 and K2DMD) and my assestment is that the K2 is a great camera, the DMD a little better but it's very difficult to procure. I understand that a lot of people have some reservations on "semi-mechanical" cameras (Canon F-1N, and Pentax K2) but so far at least in my case they have proved to be reliable and robust.

I prefer the K2 shutter to the Kx, the auto mode works well, my only cause of annoyement with these camera is that they don't use the usual Pentax case (the one also used by the spotmatic) so at the moment they are both "naked".

09-08-2014, 09:11 AM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
I prefer the K2 shutter to the Kx
Yep, vertical metal vs. horizontal cloth. The sound is definitely different.

Steve
09-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Ah, the 70 years old debate that still divide the rangefinder community: Leica III vs Contax II. I remember that the shutter is one of the hot points of discussion.
09-09-2014, 01:11 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

Steve
My K2 has the best-sounding shutter I've ever heard.
09-10-2014, 08:52 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
My K2 has the best-sounding shutter I've ever heard.
Yes, but besides the sound that shutter is IMO a much better technical solution and gives you aperture priority.

09-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #39
IHS

Steve
I'll say...My me se sounds like a weak little flutter where as this thing sounds like Ike slapping Tina. I just picked it up last week and have been utubing up on it since it didn't come with a manual. It's in remarkable shape for a camera it's age and everything works well except the asa ring of course. It's also got some crud on the focus screen that could be a little fungus. Not sure how to clean it and I'll probably need to have it done by someone who knows what they're doing! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I hope to have this camera for a very long time.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
09-14-2014, 08:41 AM   #40
Site Supporter

If you like the sound of the K2 shutter, get a Nikon FM2n.
It too has a metal shutter, and is even louder.

Chris
09-14-2014, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #41

I love the K2. Handsome, heavy, classic looking 35mm body. I have four of them. 1 silver one was purchased locally, here in Las Vegas, from the original owner. 2 additional silver ones were purchased via eBay. I spent at least $100.00 each having them serviced by Eric H. The fourth is black, purchased from KEH in their EX+ condition and working perfectly upon arrival. The shutters all sound great, no clacking, clunking, just the sound of metal blades sliding next to each other ending with a pleasant dampened, non-ringing sound. The asa ring is no problem, and in the scheme of things quite well thought out, as it seems the intent was to make it rather foolproof. A harsh reality is that the choice of film at present is so limited that changing asa/iso is not done so often, so really, mostly a non-issue with the K2 ring. It confounded me until I opened up the manual; one of the bodies came with the manual and it's readily available on-line, too.
09-14-2014, 09:30 AM   #42

I'm also proud owner of K2!
I've bought it from one member of this forum.
Camera is in great condition and I'm in love with my K2
I really enjoy using it.
09-14-2014, 10:03 AM   #43
IHS

Thanks guys...I've got one brick and mortar camera store left in town so I plan to take it in tomorrow to see if they can clean it. If they snort and shake their heads, I may need more info on Erik H ? Great forum...Thanks.
09-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #44
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
If you like the sound of the K2 shutter, get a Nikon FM2n.
...or a Ricoh XR-2s.

Steve

(...actually really like the sound of my XR-2s shutter...)

---------- Post added 09-14-14 at 10:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by IHS Quote
I may need more info on Erik H
Eric is the "go to" guy for Pentax repairs for those of us here on PF. His pricing is fair and he was worked in Pentax service back-in-the-day.

Eric Hendrickson Pentax Repair

Steve
09-14-2014, 01:34 PM   #45
IHS

^^^ Thanks Steve...That's good to know and I'm sure I'll be sending him some business. This store opened in 1975 and a few of the guys there are definately old school but now they focus on shiny new digital stuff. I'm sure they probably can do it, I just don't know if they will do it.