Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2014, 07:12 PM   #1

Missing battery cover for Pentax ME Super. Any get arounds?

Hi all,

I just got handed an old Pentax ME Super SLR by a relative. However, it lacks a battery cover and I read that the camera does not work without a battery. I've no way of testing out the camera without a battery cover.

I'd like to ask if there's anywhere I can buy the part, or if any forum members are willing to sell it?

Or if there're ways I can get around my problem

Thank you all

08-14-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You should be able to find these easily on eBay.

Regards

Chris
08-14-2014, 07:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
These parts are available, two are on ebay now. Check your local ebay.

If you cant get one then see if a camera shop has one, or a repairer can get one, As a last resort buy another camera that has a cover that fits another me super or a similar pentax model.

The camera will work without battery at 1/125 th second shutter speed. Use an external light meter.
08-14-2014, 08:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

As others have said, eBay. I see them on there regularly.

08-14-2014, 09:36 PM   #5
HWH

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions.

I did thought of something which is if the camera is broken..

So is there a way I can test it out without buying the cap from Ebay (and the wait..)?
08-15-2014, 02:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

So cheap to buy on eBay - had the same issue with an mg.
08-15-2014, 03:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think I have a busted one in the basement. I'll take a look and if it has the cover I'll send it to ya.

08-15-2014, 03:50 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The battery cover not only presses the batteries against the battery contact, but also completes the circuit to chassis ground. You need to make the battery "+" press against the contact and provide electrical continuity from the back of the battery to the chassis.

Thanks,
08-15-2014, 06:43 AM   #9

You can probably take a wad of tin foil and hold it in place with a coin and a rubber band temporarily.
08-15-2014, 06:51 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A small coin will work in a pinch. An American dime (ten-cent piece) at 17.8mm diameter is a shade too large but can be used. Insert the battery or batteries, positive end first, place the coin over the opening, and tape it in place with electrician's or gaffer's tape. You may need to press the coin with your left thumb to maintain contact as you shoot, or you may need to insert a small piece of metal, such as a small washer or pad of foil, between the coin and the battery to give better contact.
08-15-2014, 10:27 PM   #11

I have a spare me super I'm using for parts. If needed you can have mine.
08-15-2014, 11:34 PM   #12
HWH

Original Poster
Thank you all for the great suggestions and offers.

I've tried using some foils and the led in the finder lit up.
I also toggled M mode, and the shutter works when i switch it to 1/2s,1s,2s, 4s. Does this mean the camera is working?

Thanks again all!
08-16-2014, 06:07 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It means the electronics work. You'll need to trip the shutter release and operate the mechanical parts to ensure they are also working. Any rubber foam seals and bumpers might need replacement (an inexpensive fix you can do yourself with a kit or wool felt and yarn).

They might not be perfectly adjusted after 30 years, but it looks positive!!
08-16-2014, 07:13 AM   #14
HWH

Original Poster
Thanks!

I tripped the shutter in M mode. the shutter sounded right, it opened for 1s,2s and 4s.. No idea how to check the accuracy of higher shutter speed apart from a light sensor behind the shutter and an acquisition system or some sort, etc..

Is it possible that the shutter is fine, but the light measuring circuit is bad?

Thanks again
08-16-2014, 08:13 AM   #15

Sure, it's possible that the shutter is fine but the light metering circuit is not. After a time the light sensor cells can weaken and give inaccurate readings. To check the accuracy of the circuit, compare the readings of your camera's shutter speed LEDs to those of a light meter, a digital camera, or a smartphone with a light meter app.

If you don't have any of those light meters to compare with, take your camera outside on a bright day and point it away from the sun at a well-lit subject. Set the mode dial on Auto, the exposure compensation dial at 1x, and the aperture at f/16. Then set your ISO at a low number and go up from there. For each ISO setting, the shutter speed LEDs should show a corresponding shutter speed: for example, 1/30 sec at 32 ISO, 1/60 at 64 ISO, 1/125 at 100 ISO, and so on. Be careful not to change the 1x exposure comp setting when you change the ISO. If the shutter speeds are consistently close to the ISO setting at f/16, then your camera's metering is probably reasonably accurate for use with color negative film.