Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2008, 01:29 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
MZ-7/ZX7 or MZ-10/ZX-10?

I am interested in adding a late model Pentax autofocus camera with TTL and on-body aperture control.

The two models which interest me the most are the MZ-10 and the MZ-7.

Does anyone have experience with one or both? How do they feel, build wise? How is the metering and the focusing? Any gotchas?

For comparison sake, I already have an MZ-M. I probably would have been interested in an MZ-5n but I want aperture control to take full advantage of my 18-35 FAJ.

05-09-2008, 01:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Built quality and reliability wise, the whole MZ/ZX series are identical except the MZ-S (and the phantom MZ-1 too ). From what I can remember (but I could be wrong), the MZ-10 cannot control the aperture manually but otherwise a very quiet and nice camera to use. AF works fine too. But as with any MZ models, flash not pop-up and mirror lock-up are rather common because of weak plastic parts. The improved replacement parts are very cheap but the labour is not. So I have mixed feeling on recommending any of them unless you know how to repair.
05-12-2008, 11:28 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the heads up. I mistakenly assumed that having metered-manual mode and the selector switch meant that the MZ-10 would control the aperture. You are correct, I read the manuals for both cameras over at pentax.ca. Only the MZ-7 has aperture control.
05-14-2008, 11:28 AM   #4

I had a ZX-7 and loved it. It was a great little camera. I sold it when I thought I'd never use film again, and regreted it... now I have a ZX-L (MZ-6) which I love even more. The L is just like the 7 but it adds wireless P-TTl, spot meter, several custom functions and the cable switch port for the new cable switch like on the DSLR bodies. You can't go wrong with either. I also had a ZX-5, but I didn't like the fact that you couldn't do double exposures. KEH has a ton of used ZX-7's and B&H has a ZX-L