Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2014, 08:50 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You guys are killing me ....

I just bought a K-30 a month a go and what am I doing now?
Leaving the thing at home or in my bag whilst I shoot film

After seeing some of the lovely shots of 35mm Cameras and the shots taken on them the itch has come back to shoot film once again. Just when I thought i'd left it behind.

I was out yesterday shooting a roll of Kodak BW400 with my Pentax MZ-S whilst out at the local railway station. I've also just had the ex-wife bring round my Pentax Z-1 and Tokina 19-35 so that I can give that one a run out.

You guys are bad influence!

08-20-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Your camera is too new, you would be a happier person with an older manual one. I would suggest buying one immediately with some more vintage manual primes to go with it.
See how much happier you would be with an older film camera:
08-20-2014, 09:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I think there is a case for both. I'm currently using film for B&W and digital for color. Although I'm planning on shooting and developing C41 in the future, I think even then that digital might be a better primary choice for documenting events.
08-20-2014, 09:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Each has its place. I love shooting my old yashicas but I love what I get from my k30 too. I take the film camera kayaking or other places it could easily get damaged or somewhere I dont want to have to do any editing. It's also good to force me to get it developed so I have to have prints made. I take the digital when I want high quality with immediate results and dont mind editing the photos. Depends what feels right for the situation.

08-20-2014, 10:01 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Your camera is too new, you would be a happier person with an older manual one. I would suggest buying one immediately with some more vintage manual primes to go with it. See how much happier you would be with an older film camera:

I've actually got quite a few older SLRs and may get around to shooting with some of those soon.

To date I have,
Pentax *ist
Pentax Z-1
Pentax K1000
Pentax Spotmatic
Ricoh KR-5
Ricoh KR-10
Ricoh XR20sp
Ricoh XR-P
Praktica MTL3
Olympus Trip
Olympus OM10
Nikon FE
Zorki 4
Fed 2
Fed 3a
Yashica 124G

I used to be quite the film shooter but it fell by the wayside. Digital was cheaper and easier I guess.

Last edited by Trawlerman; 08-20-2014 at 10:02 AM. Reason: additional
08-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
I think there is a case for both. I'm currently using film for B&W and digital for color. Although I'm planning on shooting and developing C41 in the future, I think even then that digital might be a better primary choice for documenting events.
That's funny - I actually do the opposite - mostly film for color and digital for b&w (usually with the Ricoh). Though often I'll shoot on cheap Fuji Xtra 800 and desaturate it completely for b&w. Turns out quite nicely.
08-20-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Trawlerman Quote
I've actually got quite a few older SLRs and may get around to shooting with some of those soon.

To date I have,
Pentax *ist
Pentax Z-1
Pentax K1000
Pentax Spotmatic
Ricoh KR-5
Ricoh KR-10
Ricoh XR20sp
Ricoh XR-P
Praktica MTL3
Olympus Trip
Olympus OM10
Nikon FE
Zorki 4
Fed 2
Fed 3a
Yashica 124G

I used to be quite the film shooter but it fell by the wayside. Digital was cheaper and easier I guess.
Looks like you are all set, enjoy shooting film again!

Phil.

08-20-2014, 06:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Trawlerman Quote

To date I have,
Pentax *ist
Pentax Z-1
Pentax K1000
Pentax Spotmatic
Ricoh KR-5
Ricoh KR-10
Ricoh XR20sp
Ricoh XR-P
Praktica MTL3
Olympus Trip
Olympus OM10
Nikon FE
Zorki 4
Fed 2
Fed 3a
Yashica 124G

Thanks for that, I feel so much better about the amount of gear I've been using lately.

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
That's funny - I actually do the opposite - mostly film for color and digital for b&w (usually with the Ricoh). Though often I'll shoot on cheap Fuji Xtra 800 and desaturate it completely for b&w. Turns out quite nicely.

Do tell. I like B&W on film because the tonal transitions are more noticeable to me. Digital color feels a bit more forgiving of tonal transitions purely from a perception standpoint, particularly when the subject's vivid color is the image's raison d'être. That's not to say that digital tonal transitions can't be as abrupt in color as they are in B&W it's just that there is more going on so tonal transitions don't jump out at me as quickly as they do in B&W. There's more but I'm getting close to 500 posts and am probably beginning to bore folks here.

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 08-20-2014 at 07:04 PM.