Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2014, 10:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
tool for EXIF data for film scans

I'm not certain if this has been talked about here but I thought it was well worth sharing. Nifty and free little software tool for updating EXIF data on your scanned shots which normally will have no exposure, camera, lens, film info etc... And often the scanner/software used to create the image file will list the scanner itself as the "camera". This tool lets you store presets for all the equipment you use frequently so you can update EXIF info with a few clicks in a batch operation. I use it as an interim step before I import into Lightroom since LR can change some but not all EXIF data. Very useful piece of soft-kit.

It's here ----> AnalogExif | SourceForge.net

08-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I'm not certain if this has been talked about here but I thought it was well worth sharing. Nifty and free little software tool for updating EXIF data on your scanned shots which normally will have no exposure, camera, lens, film info etc... And often the scanner/software used to create the image file will list the scanner itself as the "camera". This tool lets you store presets for all the equipment you use frequently so you can update EXIF info with a few clicks in a batch operation. I use it as an interim step before I import into Lightroom since LR can change some but not all EXIF data. Very useful piece of soft-kit.

It's here ----> AnalogExif | SourceForge.net
Kevin, methinks you must be on the Pakon 135 facebook group :-)

You have to do it before you import to Aperture or the specs won't ever show up. I end up putting in two keywords because they show up everywhere. one has the film info, and the other has the dev info. if you don't put these as keywords most software (at least Aperture and Capture One) won't recognize half of the fields analog exif has because they just made them up. I think camera, lens, shutter, and aperture are the only fields that are 'legit'....
08-21-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote
Kevin, methinks you must be on the Pakon 135 facebook group :-)

You have to do it before you import to Aperture or the specs won't ever show up. I end up putting in two keywords because they show up everywhere. one has the film info, and the other has the dev info. if you don't put these as keywords most software (at least Aperture and Capture One) won't recognize half of the fields analog exif has because they just made them up. I think camera, lens, shutter, and aperture are the only fields that are 'legit'....
Indeed I am. As are you it'd seem! https://www.facebook.com/groups/PakonF135/?fref=ts

I posted in Film Soup, a Kiwi facebook film group as well. My three regulars are those two and good Pentax forums. And, yes, to everything else you said.

---------- Post added 08-21-14 at 11:13 AM ----------

For instance, this shot on flickr displays the correct information and if you dig further into the EXIF on the site for the image, all the fields I auto-populated with AnalogExif dislay the metadata properly (though you may not be able to see that unless you're a contact of mine - I may have disabled that otherwise. I can't quite recall).

08-21-2014, 12:10 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have been using Phil Harvey's ExifTool for years along with its graphical interface (Exiftool GUI). Analog EXIF looks like it would be a good alternative for scanned images particularly since it supports film-specific custom XMP fields.

Steve

08-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

right but those specific fields don't make it into Aperture or Capture One (don't own Lightroom) which is why I put in the keywords....