Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2014, 06:53 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lauke_101 Quote
I have, albeit not much. Some of the Agfa stuff and a roll of Provia 100F. I have some friends (and their parents, haha ) that have shot more slides, don't know what film exactly that I had a look at. Those were all prints though, not projected or viewed on a light table. What struck me was that either there was a blue, purple or green cast to them, or the look was very 'bland', for lack of a better word. But both Portra and Ektar are films with a signature look that is easily recognised, that probably plays a role too.
For such a limited sampling, I would say you made a very premature assessment of what slide film can deliver.

That is not to say that color negatives cannot deliver - because it can, Just that you owe it to yourself to give it a go.

BTW, one can take a bland discolored image on a negative too as you can on a slide. However, that is likely a photographer's fault and not necessarily the film.

08-28-2014, 10:35 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Transparency film has much less exposure latitude than negative film.
One benefit of shooting slides is that it will teach you proper exposure.

Chris
08-28-2014, 11:24 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Recently I purchased a Pakon scanner which can't handle mounted slides.
I may stop shooting slides completely mainly for this reason

Chris
I bought a Minolta Dimage II scanner in about 2000. While only 10MP and 10 bit color depth, and slow by any realistic measure, it came with a 6 frame negative carrier for strip film, and a 4 frame slide carrier for mounted slides.

Between 2000 and 2007 I pushed through 20,000 slides and negatives, scanning everything I shot EVER on film since starting in 1980.

I still have it and it still works. I think there are two later models before Minolta exited the image business. If you can find one, it is a worthwhile investment. Make sure , though that you get the drivers disk for it too, because all support for it is gone from the web
08-29-2014, 02:03 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

I also own a Minolta Dimage Scan Dual IV which can scan mounted slides.
I suspect once I start using the speedy Pakon I won't want to use anything else.

Chris

08-29-2014, 09:22 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I suspect once I start using the speedy Pakon I won't want to use anything else.

Chris
Chris, the worst part is, you can scan slides on the Pakon as well, works great but there are some tricks (one being don't get them mounted!) :-) Now you have way too many options.
08-29-2014, 09:22 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Chris
This is what happened to me precisely. The Pakon has transformed my photography quite literally. I think much less about shooting film almost exclusively. Running an uncut 135 roll through it takes less than 5 minutes. The scans are almost ALWAYS fantastic out of the box - great color, exposure etc... and you can tweak the output results post-scan before it writes them to file format. After that I run Analog EXIF (great lil utility program) to attach correct camera/lens/film/scanner information/metadata to the files, then import them into Lightroom for any final PP (normally very little needed). The files are 2941x1960 res in .tiff format at about 16mb size each. Perfectly acceptable for almost all my purposes. If I need something more, I break out the PrimeFilm.

---------- Post added 08-29-14 at 09:25 AM ----------

Note the Pakon cannot handle slide film of any kind however (i use the PrimeFilm for that as well). I understand that the Pakon F235 can indeed process slides but I've not experience with it. May look at one down the line given my superb experience with the F135.
08-29-2014, 11:52 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
This is what happened to me precisely. The Pakon has transformed my photography quite literally. I think much less about shooting film almost exclusively. Running an uncut 135 roll through it takes less than 5 minutes. The scans are almost ALWAYS fantastic out of the box - great color, exposure etc... and you can tweak the output results post-scan before it writes them to file format. After that I run Analog EXIF (great lil utility program) to attach correct camera/lens/film/scanner information/metadata to the files, then import them into Lightroom for any final PP (normally very little needed). The files are 2941x1960 res in .tiff format at about 16mb size each. Perfectly acceptable for almost all my purposes. If I need something more, I break out the PrimeFilm.

---------- Post added 08-29-14 at 09:25 AM ----------

Note the Pakon cannot handle slide film of any kind however (i use the PrimeFilm for that as well). I understand that the Pakon F235 can indeed process slides but I've not experience with it. May look at one down the line given my superb experience with the F135.
that is incorrect, folks on the facebook group are scanning slides all the time... haven't looked into it myself but the results are great.

---------- Post added 08-29-14 at 02:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote
that is incorrect, folks on the facebook group are scanning slides all the time... haven't looked into it myself but the results are great.
here is the process one guy posted recently:

1.) Scan as black and white
2.) You will have to manually adjust the crop on some frames
3.) Save as RAW
4.) Open in photoshop
6.) Run the plugin ColorPerfect and select the ColorPos option w/ adobeRGB colorspace selected (this will correct the gamma, stretch out the histogram and do the initial color balance)
7.) Save the gamma corrected TIFF
8.) Import into Lightroom for final corrections (contrast, sharpness, etc.)

This is the same workflow (starting on step 3) I used when scanning my E6 on my V500 through Vuescan.

---------- Post added 08-29-14 at 02:55 PM ----------

so doesn't look as easy as negative but they are getting good results...
08-30-2014, 09:01 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote

---------- Post added 08-29-14 at 02:54 PM ----------

here is the process one guy posted recently:

1.) Scan as black and white
2.) You will have to manually adjust the crop on some frames
3.) Save as RAW
4.) Open in photoshop
6.) Run the plugin ColorPerfect and select the ColorPos option w/ adobeRGB colorspace selected (this will correct the gamma, stretch out the histogram and do the initial color balance)
7.) Save the gamma corrected TIFF
8.) Import into Lightroom for final corrections (contrast, sharpness, etc.)

This is the same workflow (starting on step 3) I used when scanning my E6 on my V500 through Vuescan.

---------- Post added 08-29-14 at 02:55 PM ----------

so doesn't look as easy as negative but they are getting good results...
That's correct - I apologize. What I meant was the Pakon is unable to scan *mounted* slides in any way.

08-31-2014, 09:37 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Late to this discussion, but in 35mm I prefer slide film over negative film. In MF I like both. The only negative film that I use in 35mm now is Ektar.
The colour cast issue is to do with the light temperature. It changes all the time and you have to filter the light accordingly. Sometimes I like it blue, think about blue street with windows lighted up by warm glow of incandescent light. For me it's a nice look.

If you read the Fuji PDF files for Velvia and Provia 100f (the film I recommend if you don't like saturated colours, although it is high contrast), you will see they recommend using 81A filter a lot. I would also get 81B for a lot of situations. http://www.fujifilmusa.com/shared/bin/ProfessionalFilmDataGuide.pdf (page 24-25) or this one http://www.fujifilmusa.com/shared/bin/Provia100f.pdf

Few photos from Agfa Precisa CT 100 which supposed to be the same film as Provia 100f.