Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2014, 04:40 AM   #1

Film SLR reccomendation

Hi all,

I have been using a MZ-10 for sometime now and I'm satisfied with it but was hoping for a camera with a M mode. Could you guys give me some suggestions based on some of my desired feature here? Thank you!
  • Has Av, Tv, P mode
  • M mode with manual controls (just like K1000)
  • Maybe a fairly large viewfinder?
  • Decent number of AF points
  • retro-like (add-on, without which is fine too)
  • Has AF

09-06-2014, 05:18 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want AF, get the PZ-1/Z-1. Otherwise I'd recommend the Super Program/Super A. Manual focusing is so easy with the older bodies compared to newer ones, so I wouldn't overlook them.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-06-2014, 05:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I really like my MZ-S... if you switch the aperture off of auto on the lens, it goes to Shutter priority. If you move the shutter dial, it will be full manual. This thing even stamps the aperture and shutter, ev comp etc on the film!

Yes it is the most expensive film body you can buy for pentax (except perhaps a recently CLA'd LX?) but it is worth it.

Jamey
09-06-2014, 06:01 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote
I really like my MZ-S... if you switch the aperture off of auto on the lens, it goes to Shutter priority. If you move the shutter dial, it will be full manual. This thing even stamps the aperture and shutter, ev comp etc on the film!

Yes it is the most expensive film body you can buy for pentax (except perhaps a recently CLA'd LX?) but it is worth it.

Jamey
If you switch the aperture off of A on the lens it will go to Aperture Priority. The only way to shoot Aperture Priority is with the aperture ring with the MZ-S...

09-06-2014, 11:59 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alwaysjerricky Quote
Hi all,

I have been using a MZ-10 for sometime now and I'm satisfied with it but was hoping for a camera with a M mode. Could you guys give me some suggestions based on some of my desired feature here? Thank you!
  • Has Av, Tv, P mode
  • M mode with manual controls (just like K1000)
  • Maybe a fairly large viewfinder?
  • Decent number of AF points
  • retro-like (add-on, without which is fine too)
  • Has AF
I think the closest thing you'll find that mostly fits all those requirements is the ZX-5/MZ-5, ZX-5n/MZ-5n, MZ-3.

They fit everything except the focus point requirement.

09-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

right boris, i didn't type that correctly...

to get aperture priority, change the aperture on the lens out of auto
to get shutter priority, change the shutter speed dial
to get full manual, do both.

easy :-)
09-21-2014, 04:40 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you all for your suggestions. I have gotten the MZ-5 and love the way how I can be in control of the shutter speed and exposure compensation so easily. Hope to get the MZ-S in the future