Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2008, 01:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What is a good price for a Spotmatic SP II?

Hi, Folks:

I've been offered a Honeywell Spotmatic SP ll body. The old guy selling it is a friend, but doesn't know what it's worth. I don't want to rip him off either.

I put one of my M42 lenses on the body and ... while a bit dusty ... it stops down, meters and fires the shutter. The body is free of dings and very minor brassing.

If 10 were mint, I'd say this one's probably a 6 or 7 after a cleaning.

What is a fair price for me to pay for this camera body?

Thanks for your opinions!

05-12-2008, 02:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'd do a couple of things:
1) check recent ended auctions on ebay. adjust for the risk of ebay vs. the camera you've been able to check yourself
2) check prices on keh.com, and adorama used. Keh especially prices pretty fairly, given their conservative condition evaluation and return policies, and with their commercial mark up needs.
05-13-2008, 07:47 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
65 dollars sound good?

Nesster:

Much thanks for your guidance.

KEH has a bargain SP II body for 65 dollars. I think this body would fall into that category.

I find it interesting that KEH makes a difference between Ashi and Honeywell branding of the exact same camera. As far as value to the collector, is there one that's more valuable than another? The one I have is a Honeywell.

Any thoughts, film users???

Gemar
05-13-2008, 09:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Gemar, you're entirely welcome.

I don't know if Honeywell vs. Ashahi is significant for value, though probably there are collectors who want one of each. Honeywell was the importer to the US for years, until Pentax went on its own sometime in the '70s.

05-15-2008, 02:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Germar, I'd go find an old-school photo tech shop in your area and ask two questions: (1) how much are SP IIs going for around here these days? and (2) how much for a CLA? Making sure that the shutter speeds are right is the best thing you can do for a classic film Pentax that is new to you. It may well be that the CLA will cost a bit more than the camera is selling for on the market (and Nesster's $65 figure is probably in the ballpark there). Still, if you've got M42 glass and need/want an SP II body, an example in good physical and mechanical shape is a sweet toy.