Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you support Film Ferrania?
Yes, I've already signed! 2354.76%
I'll do it sooner or later! 1023.81%
interested, but no (too expensive/wrong type of film/...) 716.67%
not interested 24.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2014, 04:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Definitely going to support this project! Pledging tonight.

10-02-2014, 04:42 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I thought they were also giving you first shot at using the film too with your donation to their cause.
Yes if you donate a specific amount you get a gift. I donated $140.00 and get the following:

Pledge $140 or more
BIG BOY PACK • 4 rolls of 35mm film + 4 rolls of 120 film + Ferrania sticker pack + your name on the Founders Wall

Phil.

---------- Post added 10-02-14 at 04:48 PM ----------

Also note the photo film is E6 colour slide and if they do not raise $250k then the project dies and you are not charged your donation amount.

Phil.
10-02-2014, 06:20 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
first shot at using the film too with your donation
Yes, first shot! We can all be part of the QA team! Seriously though, it looks like these guys in Italy are doing their best to bootstrap this enterprise on a financial shoestring. They have the experience to do it and the means to accomplish almost at hand. It is not as if they are asking us to fund a car that runs on salt water or anything like that

Steve
10-02-2014, 06:28 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As mentioned from the outset I wish them good luck but I won't donate money to a for-profit business.
I too love film but there are plenty of more deserving charities.
I'll be happy to support them by buying their product if and when it gets to market, and if it's any good.

Chris

10-02-2014, 06:31 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You're not donating money. You're buying a spot to be in line for the first film they produce. You also buy a space for your name to be printed on what they. All the Founder's Wall. It's a perfectly legitimate transaction. The question becomes is it worth it to you?
10-02-2014, 06:49 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
You're not donating money. You're buying a spot to be in line for the first film they produce.
I am viewing it mostly as a donation. After all, I gave them $35 and they (hopefully) will send me film worth no more than $20 retail at a projected cost to produce, package, and ship of $9. Still, though, I think of it as a service to film photography in the same way that PF is a service to Pentax users.

Steve
10-02-2014, 08:14 PM   #22
Veteran Member

It is a dilemma for me whether it is best to continue to act with stability as a long term individual tiny consumer of commodity C41 film, or whether to valiantly try in a miniscule way to support a particular business. I like using film but there is no way I can be a stakeholder.

I take comfort seeing that the in the residual market for consumables like Edison wax cylinders, vacuum tubes, DC motor brushes, performance carburetors, crystal set parts, vinyl discs, audio tapes etc, the quality is fairly close to the last state of the art.

here is a bit about reel-to reel audio tapes
Reel-to-reel audio tape recording - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Tape
When Ampex broke apart in the 1990s, Quantegy Inc. was formed, later becoming Quantegy Recording Solutions in 2004. Quantegy (and formerly Ampex) led the field in reel-to-reel technology, and Quantegy was the only company left making reel-to-reel tape in the world for a period of two years. In 2007, Reel Deal Pro Audio purchased the majority of Quantegy's reel to reel audio tape and accessories and began to sell it on their web site.[7]

In 2006, Recorded Media Group International (RMGI) in the Netherlands began manufacturing EMTEC specification tape in Oosterhout and was then the only open reel tape manufacturer in the world. In January 2012 Pyral SAS in France bought out the manufacturing equipment and intellectual property of RMGI with the intent to manufacture the tape in France. RMG International: The Masters of Tape - Recordable Media Group The RMGI plant at Oosterhout was closed in April 2012. RMG International: The Masters of Tape - Recordable Media Group

ATR Magnetics LLC began manufacturing analog open reel tape in 2006 and is now in full production of all sizes of professional open reel recording tape.

Jai Electronic Industries in India are currently making audio tape in 6.35 mm(1/4") and 12.7 mm(1/2") width, and perforated 16 mm and 35 mm audio tape for the film industry.[8]

Pyral in France are making perforated 16 mm, 17.5 mm and 35 mm audio tape.[9]

10-03-2014, 12:53 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Ok pledged $40...it was more difficult than I foresaw, and it appeared it was possible just through amazon, I would have expected a direct paypal invoice.
10-06-2014, 03:21 AM   #24

Original Poster
$200.000 / 80% ! I'm still excited, if they're going to make it - for no reason I guess

Here's an interview with a Ferrania guy. Their business concept sounds very convincing. I wish I could say that about those CineStill people who ask for much more money with less rewards, enormous rates for international shipping and who are completely dependent on Kodak. But I also wish them success!
10-06-2014, 12:19 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Their business concept seems sound enough to me, and I wouldn't mind seeing another slide film... I backed for probably more than I should, but I really hope they succeed.
10-11-2014, 06:57 AM   #26

I still shoot film sometimes, not just from nostalgia, but because there's few things anymore that don't give you instant gratification and feedback, that make you wait to see what you created. I've joined this kickstarter campaign.
Attached Images

10-12-2014, 02:47 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Having signed-up a few days ago I thought I'd check progress... only $209 to go to reach their target of $250,000... I guess film isn't dead!
10-12-2014, 05:33 AM   #28

Original Poster
100%
10-12-2014, 06:06 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Ok guys it appears that within six months we'll get the film we paid for. Mission accomplished.
10-12-2014, 08:06 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Ok guys it appears that within six months we'll get the film we paid for. Mission accomplished.
+1 This is great news, well done guys!

Phil.