Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you support Film Ferrania?
Yes, I've already signed! 2354.76%
I'll do it sooner or later! 1023.81%
interested, but no (too expensive/wrong type of film/...) 716.67%
not interested 24.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2014, 08:28 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looks like Film Ferrania is even overfunded a bit. Nice. Around 4450 people contributed. If 10% of a market are early adopters then they have a definite market of 44500. Would that be a fair statement? After that it's up to them to grow and get more advocates and turn detractors into advocates. Could they double their market to 89000 people? Would that be enough to sustain a business?

10-12-2014, 10:17 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
+1 This is great news, well done guys!

Phil.
Hopefully we'll also get a good product...I also hope that the Ferrania guys will copy Ilfordlab's business model and offer online development, scan etc...for colour.

The last time I was in Italy they charged me 22 frakking euros to develop, print and scan a 36 exposure 35mm film!

QUOTE=6BQ5;2972845]Looks like Film Ferrania is even overfunded a bit. Nice. Around 4450 people contributed. If 10% of a market are early adopters then they have a definite market of 44500. Would that be a fair statement? After that it's up to them to grow and get more advocates and turn detractors into advocates. Could they double their market to 89000 people? Would that be enough to sustain a business?[/QUOTE]

I assume that at this point it will depend by three factors:

1) The quality of the product.
2) Its fair price.
3) The quality of their service.

Today in a global market with internet they can set up a business like this, serving all customers around the globe directly and get the payment online, once upon a time they would have been soffocated by big companies like Fuji and Kodak, but today the rules have changed.

Last edited by Cuthbert; 10-12-2014 at 11:14 AM.
10-12-2014, 09:10 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK - I did it. I wasn't going to, since the only film camera I will have (it's on its way here now) is 6x6, and I don't really care to shoot slide film in that format. But I did it anyway. Hope they are able to become a viable business.
10-13-2014, 05:43 PM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by qblade Quote
I don't really care to shoot slide film in that format
Cross-process in C-41. That is one of the target markets.

Steve

10-23-2014, 02:26 AM   #35

I only just noticed this campaign (not being paying much attention to Photographic developments lately), but I backed it straight away. I've shot digital pretty much all my life, but I've recently been getting into film. While I'll probably not buy much from them at first (monochrome's more my thing) I was still happy to give them my money; anything which prolongs the life of film is good in my opinion and these guys seem to have found an excellent way of doing it!
10-29-2014, 04:25 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Final score: 5,582 backers and $322,420 pledged. Not bad!
10-29-2014, 04:35 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I would like to see their version of the BW400CN...

10-29-2014, 09:43 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
Final score: 5,582 backers and $322,420 pledged. Not bad!
Yep and the "estimated" delivery date for the film is April 2015!

Phil.
10-30-2014, 11:25 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I backed at the four-120 roll level on the first day. I cannot wait to try it out! I wish they were making a black and white film, but for right now they're only making a color reversal film.
10-30-2014, 10:18 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
I backed at the four-120 roll level on the first day. I cannot wait to try it out! I wish they were making a black and white film, but for right now they're only making a color reversal film.
There are plenty of sources for B&W film. That they can produce color film is what makes the Ferrania plant special.

I know there's a sentimental attachment to color reversal film among a lot of old-timers, but in a world where most film ends up getting scanned, negative film will carry the day. It's more forgiving to shoot, cheaper to process, easier to scan.
11-01-2014, 08:24 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
I know there's a sentimental attachment to color reversal film among a lot of old-timers, but in a world where most film ends up getting scanned, negative film will carry the day. It's more forgiving to shoot, cheaper to process, easier to scan.
QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
I probably would not have pledged as much as I did, or at all, if Ferrania was going to produce a new b&w or colour negative film.

Due to the recent culling of E6 films by Kodak & Fuji, getting a new E6 film is a bonus.

Hopefully some of the Ferrania supporters that get to try the new colour slide film will appreciate its pluses and actually start shooting it. There are a lot of misconceptions about slide film that are easily cured when you shoot it. Once you view a slide on a light table with a photo lupe, you will see how much better the quality/colours are compared to colour negative film and never turn back.

Phil.
11-01-2014, 09:46 AM   #42

FILM Ferrania Q&A on APUG

Dave Bias, the US Director for FILM Ferrania has been fielding questions on APUG for the last few days. If you have something you would like to ask, here is the link to the thread:

Hello APUG from FILM Ferrania

Griz
11-03-2014, 08:04 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Hopefully some of the Ferrania supporters that get to try the new colour slide film will appreciate its pluses and actually start shooting it. There are a lot of misconceptions about slide film that are easily cured when you shoot it. Once you view a slide on a light table with a photo lupe, you will see how much better the quality/colours are compared to colour negative film and never turn back.
This is the kind of talk that I have trouble getting my head around. I've never had a darkroom or a light table or a photo loupe, nor do I picture myself getting access to those any time soon. Assuming I did actually shoot some slide film and put it on a light table and was then greatly impressed by its jewel-like beauty. . . Then what would happen 20 minutes later after the novelty wore off? It's not like I'd be showing it to anyone else in that form. Then I would be back to scanning into Aperture and posting the images online, or, in a few special cases, getting large prints made.
11-03-2014, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

Slides are beautiful in their own right, yes... but even when scanned they have a look to them that's completely different to print film. Slides have pop and punch whereas print film has always come out a little bit flat looking to me. Even though some of the newer print films like Ektar that have a lot more saturation and contrast than their older, other c-41 cousins still fall behind the oomph of Velvia, Provia, or even Kodak's own Ektacrhome.

Scanning to online is scanning to online, except slides you don't have to deal with the orange mask when scanning. What I like about slides is for the most part what you shot is what you get and all you have to do when scanned is match the image on the screen to the slide. And I get the benefit of a little box of jewels. And once they're scanned, digital prints are super easy to get negating that advantage of print film too. It's a shame that c-41 is the dominate process imo, I've always shot slides and so much prefer them.

Anyone who ordered just to support the company's return but have no plans to actually shoot the stuff, please send it to me. I'll gladly run the 35mm and 120 films through my Yashica's. I'm looking forward to getting my batch some time in 2015.
11-03-2014, 05:20 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Slides get better as the format increases, on a light box 35mm look good, medium format ones look stunning. Slides also have an authenticity about them that nothing else comes close to - one shot from a test roll of a new-to-me P67 had such a 'toned monochrome' look to it, it looks like I spent ages with it in Photoshop - instead I have the tranny to confirm my scanned image really is the one that came out of the camera.