Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2008, 06:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Loading Film into a Spotmatic F

I found a nice Spotmatic F, and have purchased it. It has been a while since I have loaded film manually, and so I thought I would ask some "dumb" questions. On my more modern bodies, the film is laid over the take-up spool, and positioned at a marker. On older SLRs, I know that the film must be inserted into the slot in the spool, but I am wondering if this would be on the left side of the spool or on the right? Thus, I am thinking that the film ends up being wound "under" the spool (rather than "over" in a more modern camera body). I have ordered a reprint of the Spotmatic F manual from Pentax, but the reprinted photos are sometimes not as clear as the originals.

05-15-2008, 06:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It won't matter which side you jam it in, the take-up spool is only going to turn one way. If it's on the "wrong" side, it will move to the "right" side as soon as you wind the advance lever. About the only thing you can mess up is not getting the film started straight. And if that happens, with the back still open just hit the rewind release button, rewind the film enough to disengage it from the take-up spool, and start over again.
05-15-2008, 07:30 AM   #3
Banned

like mike said you really cant screw it up, but as for the manuals, there is no need to order one of those poorly photocopied manuals from pentax. you can get almost every pentax manual in full color free of charge (including your spotmaticF) from a wonderful site that I use quite often.

PENTAX MANUALS

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/m42/pentax_spotmaticf_manual_s.pdf
pass: Pentax (case sensative) can be downloaded to your PC.
05-15-2008, 08:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I appreciate the link for the manuals. I wish I had known this earlier today.

05-15-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Give the winding lever a cock with the back open, and you'll immediately see which way it turns.

Here's what I do with my Spotmatic F. I have more film than usual (half an inch?) pulled out of the can at first to help loading, and then once the tongue is threaded correctly and been wound with one cock of the lever, I push the slack back into the can so that the film lays flat across the gate. Double check the sprockets, they should be cleanly and easily through the perfs in the film. With sprockets confirmed, film flat and taught in the cannister, then close the back.

With fingertips, I turn the rewind knob clockwise until I feel a tiny bit of resistance. Then, when I cock the winding lever, I can see the rewind knob rotate as it lets more film out of the can. If you can see the rewind knob rotate, you're golden. If not, something's wrong and you might want to reload. Keep winding off shots until the frame counter is at 1.

I've never had a missed load or a jam on my Spotmatic F. It is my fastest loading camera. Really a gem.
05-15-2008, 09:08 AM   #6
Banned

I personally prefer the 'magic needle' take up spool on my MX and superA to the old type, its so much faster and easier.
05-15-2008, 09:10 AM   #7
Banned

QuoteQuote:
I appreciate the link for the manuals. I wish I had known this earlier today.
you should always ask here first about anything pentax because there isn't much the collective mind of us pentaxians don't know (or think we know)

05-15-2008, 10:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Indeed, seamuis, there is a wealth of knowledge here. I thank all of you for your advice. Now I must wait for the camera to arrive. It should be here early next week. I am so glad to be back in Pentax-land
05-15-2008, 01:38 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I personally prefer the 'magic needle' take up spool on my MX and superA to the old type, its so much faster and easier.
Funny how individual everyone's preferences are. I finally got a 'magic needle' camera (a Program Plus.)

I love the camera, but hate the loading. I find it slow, and stiff, and prone to crinkle the leader. I'm never sure if it's loaded right!

05-15-2008, 02:35 PM   #10
Banned

QuoteQuote:
I am so glad to be back in Pentax-land
were glad for you as well.

QuoteQuote:
Funny how individual everyone's preferences are. I finally got a 'magic needle' camera (a Program Plus.)

I love the camera, but hate the loading. I find it slow, and stiff, and prone to crinkle the leader. I'm never sure if it's loaded right!
you couldn't be more right because I have the same problems with the older types, and I am much more prone to having the leader coming out as I try to advance the film to '1'.
05-16-2008, 08:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Séamuis, I thank you so much for the link for early manuals! My Asahi Spotmatic thanks you! My K10D says "feh...."
05-17-2008, 05:30 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
Séamuis, I thank you so much for the link for early manuals! My Asahi Spotmatic thanks you! My K10D says "feh...."

no problem.
05-17-2008, 05:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I received the Spotmatic F. I believe I have followed all of the steps for proper film loading, but the rewind knob does not turn when I cock the rewind lever. I checked the film, and it seems to be properly engaged in the sprockets. I am stumped...
05-17-2008, 05:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm...I just tried it again while sitting here, and the rewind knob now seems to be turning properly. Perhaps I was not cocking the lever all the way?
05-17-2008, 05:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

More likely there was just some slack in the film. That happens. During the loading process you can use the rewind knob to tighten up a bit if you want.