Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2014, 08:10 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Service manual for K1000

Is there any where to get one of these? My new to me, K1000 has a bit of fungus inside. Only seen when looking through the VF. I would like to clean it myself as funds are low that I cannot afford to send it to Eric.

10-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You can find this and others -> http://www.robertstech.com/manuals.htm
10-14-2014, 08:50 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks. Downloading manual now.
10-14-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Also on youtube is a video entitled Fix Old Cameras: K1000 Top Cover and Prism Removal ->

Good luck!

10-14-2014, 10:54 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks. That vid looks good, and speech is clear and concise.
10-14-2014, 05:15 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The old National Camera training manual talks through complete disassembly and reassembly of the K1000.
03-09-2019, 06:19 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Also on youtube is a video entitled Fix Old Cameras: K1000 Top Cover and Prism Removal -> Fix Old Cameras: K1000 Top Cover and Prism Removal - YouTube

Good luck!
I looked at the manual and watched the video, but have no idea where to find the tool used to open cover of the ASA/shutter speed dial. I looked for a "spanner wrench," but could find nothing similar. Anyone know where to find one?

03-09-2019, 06:21 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Is there any where to get one of these? My new to me, K1000 has a bit of fungus inside. Only seen when looking through the VF. I would like to clean it myself as funds are low that I cannot afford to send it to Eric.
I have the same problem with mine. I wonder how the fungus got in there. Mine covers the entire middle of the viewfinder, which makes framing and focusing exceedingly difficult. I hope you were able to get yours cleaned.
03-09-2019, 07:02 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by cinedependent Quote
I have the same problem with mine. I wonder how the fungus got in there. Mine covers the entire middle of the viewfinder, which makes framing and focusing exceedingly difficult. I hope you were able to get yours cleaned.
Are you sure it is fungus and not de-silvering of the mirror? The latter is common in later production K1000 and tends to look like irregular black and silver shapes running down the middle of the view finder. The solution is to replace the Pentaprism.
03-12-2019, 11:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Be aware there are differences bewteen some K1000s on strip down. I also struggled to find a spanner wrench that would get down small enough for some elements on the K1000 but improvised using a pair of small screwdrivers. Just be careful.

When you get to the prism there are two screws either side....these things handle the prism lateral adjustment so only slacken one side and remember which side. That way you can get the prism back in the same position.

Mine had a lot of degraded foam around the prism so make sure you have some replacement foam for that I cant recall now but I think I used 1.5 mm semi open foam for that.
03-14-2019, 06:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Bit of a bigger update - the film advance lever has at least two possible ways of being removed depending on build. The ones on some videos online show a rather large nut which comes off with a spanner wrench but mine has a very tiny inner nut thats chrome coloured and also removed with a spanner wrench if you can find one small enough - I used a pair of small opposing screwdrivers.

Something I wasn't expecting was the mass of degraded foam inside - its wrapped around the prism in a strip about 2mm wide. Its easy enough to replace with some replacement foam but you may need to do a bit of IPA to get the remains of it off. It was a lot easier than de-foaming an OM-1 but still a headache.

The springs that hold the prism in place are also tricky to relocate and a lot of the guides are a bit loose on this - there are small holes around the upper edge of the mirror box (the bit nearest the focus screen). You will need a fairly bright light to see them but they can be 'felt' for using the spring when you replace them.

Watch out for the focus screen. My KX appears to have a glass screen but the K1000 is definitely plastic and the top surface is quite soft so maximum care when cleaning it and also watch out for the edges of the meter - the needle is easily damage but the bigger hassle is the edges of the mask that hols the + and - sign are bloody sharp and prone to snagging any material like stray cotton off a cloth or cotton buds.

On the whole the K1000 was easy enough to clean up just take your time and go slow. Oh also when you get the top off watch out for a small button under the shutter button on the inside- its easily lost.