Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #1

Kodak slide films

It seems the only place to find Kodak slide film is on Ebay and then you really don't know what you're getting. Any advice on buying from there?

10-14-2014, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Since Kodak quit making slide film, resellers are likely the only source for it. Only buy from a reputable seller.
If the film was properly stored and not to far out of date - and it is not for critical use or you can buy in some quantity to be able to actually test, then I don't see a problem with it.
Of course you can buy Fuji slide film factory new.

BTW, Kodak itself compares Kodak Ektar 100 to their E100 slide "How does EKTAR 100 Film compare to the finest grain color reversal films?" -> http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/films/ektar/qAndA.jhtml...30/13328/13344

Last edited by LesDMess; 10-14-2014 at 06:11 PM.
10-14-2014, 07:18 PM   #3
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
But do you know what slide film you want. there are some great films but they have different characteristics. For example:
-- Kodak Prof. Tungston (3200 K) iso 64 is great for copying art work (and is rather contrasty, narrow DR)
-- Kodak iso 160 Prof. Tungston is very wide DR (for slide) and is excellent all around film [what I used for Europe trips--indoors/outdoor (w/ filter)]
-- EPN64 is daylight (5500 K) and softer but excellent colors (believe used for fashion/clothing/interiors),
If it was kept cold and not very high humidity it should last decades--so the integrity/reviews of the seller seems to be the best measure. I have lots of the film in the refrigerator, and it keeps fine.
10-14-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I realize this is the "Kodak slide film" forum but here goes:

Back in my film days I used Fuji slide films almost as much as I did Kodachrome because I liked the color rendition. Since Kodak has stopped producing Kodachrome you might consider a change. My favorite was Velvia 50 and Provia 100f when I needed a bit more speed. They each have their own characteristics, which are different from each other and both are different from Kodak. Try a few rolls and see if you like it.

10-14-2014, 08:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kxjiru Quote
It seems the only place to find Kodak slide film is on Ebay and then you really don't know what you're getting. Any advice on buying from there?
Just don't buy any Kodachrome as it can't be processed anymore..

The E6 films are fime, E100G is very good.

Phil.
10-15-2014, 06:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
But do you know what slide film you want. there are some great films but they have different characteristics. For example: Kodak Prof. Tungsten 64 & 160, EPN64
I also want to add E100G, E100GX, E100SW and E100VS to the list. E100VS was supposedly Kodak's equivalent to Fuji Velvia. From my experience, not the same color palette but maybe contrast.

Kodak E100G

Kodak E100GX

Kodak E100SW

Kodak E100VS
10-15-2014, 10:43 AM   #7

i agree dealer rep is an important guide. A company I've relied on since the 1970's is Freestyle, in Hollywood california (still there on Sunret blvd) they have a lot more than film though I dont know if they have any Kodak slide film persoalx I miss AGFA chrome 50
10-15-2014, 12:05 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
But do you know what slide film you want. there are some great films but they have different characteristics. For example:
-- Kodak Prof. Tungston (3200 K) iso 64 is great for copying art work (and is rather contrasty, narrow DR)
-- Kodak iso 160 Prof. Tungston is very wide DR (for slide) and is excellent all around film [what I used for Europe trips--indoors/outdoor (w/ filter)]
-- EPN64 is daylight (5500 K) and softer but excellent colors (believe used for fashion/clothing/interiors),
If it was kept cold and not very high humidity it should last decades--so the integrity/reviews of the seller seems to be the best measure. I have lots of the film in the refrigerator, and it keeps fine.
The reason I want to try more Kodak is because I received two rolls of 160T EliteChrome and I LOVED them.

---------- Post added 10-15-14 at 12:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Roguephotographer Quote
i agree dealer rep is an important guide. A company I've relied on since the 1970's is Freestyle, in Hollywood california (still there on Sunret blvd) they have a lot more than film though I dont know if they have any Kodak slide film persoalx I miss AGFA chrome 50
I go to Freestyle about once a month. They don't have any Kodak left

10-17-2014, 06:39 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you aware that Kodachrome can now only be processed as black and white?
10-22-2014, 01:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I go to Freestyle about once a month. They don't have any Kodak left
Of course they don't, since people stopped buying it, they stopped making it many years ago. You will only find expired Kodak E6 now.
As my E100VS replacement I'm switching to Velvia 100 with 81A filter. For E100G, Provia 100f with 81A filter.
I find fuji films very cold...
11-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Kodak colour transparency film is extinct — I've had a friend looking for it locally and interstate for more than a year now; he finally came across a cache on eBay, albeit expired and with unknown storage history. If you are lucky, some dealers might have old back inventory, though they probably haven't refrigerated it.

Personally I thought Kodak's E100 and E100VS reversal emulsions were horrid and pasty, requiring far too much filtration when printing to Ilfochrome Classic media in either of the two contrasts (it was gone before I migrated to analogue-to-digital hybrid printing in the post-Ilfochrome era. Difficulties with printing was the subject of intensive communication between ChromaColour (Adelaide, defunct) and Kodak here in Australia around 2004-2005. Like Nuff, above, I sometimes need to warm up RVP50 but prefer to do this in post because 99% of my work is carried with with polarisation to modulate the palette. A touch of warming where required (e.g. from working in lightly shaded areas etc) is sufficient to get over the sometimes overpowering coldness.