Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2014, 07:15 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax KM (35mm film) rewind button

Hello... I just bought myself a Pentax KM film camera, a model very similar to the K1000. At the bottom of the camera is a button you press before turning the film rewind crank. After shooting a test roll, naturally I depressed the button and found that it sticks in the depressed state until a new roll of film is loaded. This seems contradictory to the manual (I was able to scrounge a K1000 manual online, thinking they're similar enough), which implies that you need to keep the button pressed continuously until you've completely rewound the film. Can someone please let me know whether the button is supposed to stay down on its own during the rewind? The camera has a 3 weeks service warranty and I'd like to get it fixed, if necessary.

10-14-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, once the rewind button on the KM is pressed, it stays down until the back is closed again and the advance lever is worked. A neat detail of the KM is the little dot on the rewind button that rotates when you advance or rewind the film.
10-14-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nparsons13 Quote
Yes, once the rewind button on the KM is pressed, it stays down until the back is closed again and the advance lever is worked. A neat detail of the KM is the little dot on the rewind button that rotates when you advance or rewind the film.
Thanks a bunch for clarifying! I'm really liking the camera mounted with a classic 50mm f/2.0. I think there's enough time for another roll before the cold fall weather sets in
11-19-2014, 05:39 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobertColes Quote
Thank you a whole lot with regard to making clear! I am actually liking this camera installed having a typical 50mm f/2. 0. I believe there may be enough time with regard to another move prior to the chilly drop conditions pieces inside......................................

NoorAlamShahzad
Yes, what he said Wait a minute... didn't I already say it. Hmmm, I don't remember.

---------- Post added 11-19-14 at 06:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RobertColes Quote
Thank you a whole lot with regard to making clear! I am actually liking this camera installed having a typical 50mm f/2. 0. I believe there may be enough time with regard to another move prior to the chilly drop conditions pieces inside......................................

NoorAlamShahzad
Last time I had found persistent message, immature bouquet fabricated by your hands. Future consequences uncertain but surely at least your name to be erased from corkboard. Enjoy outdoors, make your secret place and engage your own passions.

Salaam Alekum.

11-19-2014, 12:38 PM   #5

I think it's a spam bot.

The more capable ones now post generic positive comments (such as "great content, I will visit this often") and may throw a few words in that they've gleaned from previous posts. The results don't quite scan, which is how to spot them.

Cold weather shouldn't stop you, I've taken my KX (same mechanism) out when there was snow on the ground. Even put it through the freezer once to kill dust mites which had set up home in the viewfinder!
11-19-2014, 01:44 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dangermouse Quote
I think it's a spam bot.

The more capable ones now post generic positive comments (such as "great content, I will visit this often") and may throw a few words in that they've gleaned from previous posts. The results don't quite scan, which is how to spot them.

Cold weather shouldn't stop you, I've taken my KX (same mechanism) out when there was snow on the ground. Even put it through the freezer once to kill dust mites which had set up home in the viewfinder!
Disappointingly, that chance to take my KM out for one more whirl hasn't materialized. It's been unusually cold for this time of year making for unpleasant shooting... Although I took my K-50 out for about five minutes before freezing my fingers and calling it quits. There's been quite a bit of blowing snow, too — but a K-50 with the WR kit lens can handle that without any problems! I hate to admit it, but I might be a Pentax fanboy.
And I'm glad to hear your KX can survive a trip to the icebox (I'm not at all surprised given how well these things are built). But would not a CLA have also done the trick? Cheers.

As for our botty friend: he (it) does seem to be a spam bot; my reasearch indicates this particuar incarnation began life sometime earlier this month as NoorAlamShahzad and adopted its current name, RobertColes, in just the last few days. Posts getting scattered in several forums suggests it just mimicks what someone already wrote, but in language similar to broken English (as if the human language was translated into an intermediate language, then re-translated into English). Not quite at the level of Nexus 6 yet, but its interests are certainly varied! Alright, I'm over him now
11-19-2014, 02:34 PM   #7

I suspect a professional repairer would have done exactly the same thing!

It's apparently the least invasive and guaranteed effective way of dealing with camera mites. Freezing causes them to burst, and unless they do so smack in the middle of the focusing screen they're unlikely to cause any problems afterwards. Everything else worked perfectly (still does) and I'd already changed the light seals and mirror foam, so I decided to try the freezer first.

I find the back half of the ever ready case helps with these bodies in cold weather, as it keeps your hands away from the metalwork. If you can't find an original one for the KM/KX then the one for the Spotmatic will also fit.