Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-19-2014, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Primer on Film and Digital Capture by Rob Hummel

10-19-2014, 02:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Excellent! Very enjoyable and informative - thanks for sharing !!
10-19-2014, 02:52 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
10-19-2014, 03:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As far as digital is concerned, most things Rob spoke about I'd heard before, but the part about killing pixels at altitude? That is a shocker... Film comes out as a very mature and sophisticated technology - digital still has a way to go. I wonder if lead enclosures will prevent the loss of pixels? Kickstarter Project 1, anyone? Maybe the question we typically ask about the no. of images taken with a used body should be joined by one about how much distance the body covered above 20,000 feet. LR extension? Kickstarter 2, anyone? ;-)

10-19-2014, 07:36 PM   #5

I've done a little of it in the past with a flat-bed USB 2,0 scanner with film adapter and an old Windows 2000 desktop PC with 768 MB RAM and 20 GB HDD, but I'll review this video later.
10-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by demondata Quote
killing pixels at altitude?
That assertion was made in the video and has taken on the status of urban legend. I don't know that any controlled study has been made, but Hummel was roundly ridiculed in many circles at the time. The comments on this post on PetaPixel are useful:

Does Bringing a Camera onto an Airplane Damage Its Sensor?

Also:

http://consumertraveler.com/columns/does-airplane-travel-kill-digital-camera-sensors/

...and for the video perspective:

http://www.fdtimes.com/2010/10/15/sensors-at-high-altitude/

I would suggest that while there is potential for damage, the reported incidence where dead pixels could be directly traced to airline travel is extremely low and the risk is not worth worrying about. As one frequent traveler noted, "I am much more concerned about my testicles and I like my camera a lot."

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-20-2014 at 01:05 PM.
10-20-2014, 06:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think Mr. Stough's statement,
QuoteQuote:
" ... the cost of taking extra protective measures would probably never pay off in terms of an actual lost-pixel event being avoided.",
is probably true for most of us enthusiasts and even someone making a short film. The YT video is clearly not aimed at still photography enthusiasts but I think such things are interesting enough to pay attention to, especially when presented by someone with Hummel's background.

Mr Hummel's comments regarding gamma radiation being less risky with film I believe would be based on the fact that most film is exposed and processed before gamma radiation can do any damage. As for sensors, Stough states that
QuoteQuote:
"It is always possible that a heavy ionization track will damage the insulator (oxide) at a pixel site to the degree that when the sensor is powered on, the resulting short circuit current would flood that pixel site, and burn it out. The possibility isn’t zero."
Zero risk vs slight risk may not seem like much but zero is zero and large production companies are notoriously averse to financial risk (that's why they have shareholders or LLC investors and release so many sequels). Again, when someone with Mr. Stough's background presents such information, I think it's worth taking into consideration.

It's important top keep in mind that Superman Returns, which is referenced in the Hummel video as an example of how digital camera sensors could be damaged by gamma radiation, was a $209,000,000 feature film and the extra care and cost in transporting cameras at that level is usually a matter of course. It's curious that this problem got past the pre-production camera tests. Still photography enthusiasts and people making short films aren't going to face the challenges inherent in making a large budget feature film so for us enthusiasts all this is academic. I'm a big fan of academic thought and discussion, though.

---------- Post added 10-20-14 at 06:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Hummel was roundly ridiculed in many circles at the time.
By consumers on consumer electronics websites?

---------- Post added 10-20-14 at 06:34 PM ----------

As one frequent traveler noted, "I am much more concerned about my testicles and I like my camera a lot."

10-20-2014, 09:28 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
By consumers on consumer electronics websites?
By bloggers...and people on online forums...

Steve
10-20-2014, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
By bloggers...and people on online forums...

Steve

Exactly.
11-02-2014, 09:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I finally got to watching this. Fantastic little primer and well worth the 14 minutes! Thanks for posting this!
11-15-2014, 12:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I finally got to watching this. Fantastic little primer and well worth the 14 minutes! Thanks for posting this!
Glad you found it as informative as I did.