Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2007, 06:40 PM   #1

Need help getting started

I bought a MG off ebay. I got tired of using my digital Fuji Finepix S3100

it has these lenses
SMC Pentax- M 1:2 50 mm # 7965822 Asahi Optical Co
Takumar (bayonet) 1 :2.5 135 mm # 5652281 Asahi Optical Co
I also have a good tripod that i use with my fuji
what type of other acessories might i need?
I like shooting buildings and landcapes somestimes cars
I also would like to know what type of film would be best, both color and black and white

thanks for the help

Last edited by Vellian; 01-30-2007 at 06:43 PM. Reason: bad picture link
02-04-2007, 03:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum Vellian. Kind of neat going from digital to film. You have a nice setup there.
Film works similar to digital. Lower ISO 100 - 200 will have better quality (less grain, greater sharpness, better color saturation). It also needs more light to make a proper exposure. Higher ISO 800 -1600 will reduce the quality but allow you to shoot with less light. For landscapes (tripod) low ISO is usually used. Same for buildings. Middle speed (400) is a good all around film for many people. Best thing is to carry different types and load what you need for the situation.
Accessories to add to your kit.
1. Wide angle lens. 28mm is a good start. You will use this for landscapes, buildings, and cars.
2. Lens cleaning cloth & fluid.
3. B&W filters. Yellow, red, green, and orange. These allow you to change the look of different colors in B&W. Very useful.
Hope this helps.
thanks
barondla
02-11-2007, 03:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Takumar (Bayonet) 135mm f2.5 has a reputation for flare....and it deserves it.

That being said, I own one and it spends more time on my K100d than any other lens I have. It does a good job, but you have to be sure to keep flare in mind when composing your pictures. On digital it doesn't hurt (or cost) to flub a few, but on film......

I have found that faster shutter speeds do a better job of holding the problem to a minimum, the faster the better.